PDA

View Full Version : Is Transparency actually working?

rustythe1
03-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Not sure if i having one of those moments where its right in front of me, but i cant see it, but is transparency actually working correctly? no matter how high the transmittance, colour, ray recursions, a second layer of glass always appears black??? see the inside of all the glasses, even if i change to principle and set it to 99% transparent, still the same, and seems not to just be 2018.2, but as in for all versions? only the standard material seems to allow light through a second object (the other side of the glass technically, but even if you place two flat glass objects in front of each other???

Nicolas Jordan
03-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Not sure if this is it but try turning off "draft mode" in VPR if it's turned on.

rustythe1
03-03-2018, 05:16 PM
see, one of those moments, thanks, but that's the weird thing, draft was off by default before 2018.2, now it seems to be on (as was i think 2015), must be a little try to make people think vpr is going faster thing?

prometheus
03-04-2018, 07:16 AM
see, one of those moments, thanks, but that's the weird thing, draft was off by default before 2018.2, now it seems to be on (as was i think 2015), must be a little try to make people think vpr is going faster thing?

I really donīt like that either, same with backdrop on by default as well as global illumination, I often have to go in and turn them off, and itīs a bit more messy to find the proper windows as well, they have done some things easier to acess, but others..I just donīt get it.

Morgan Nilsson
03-04-2018, 02:44 PM
I really donīt like that either, same with backdrop on by default as well as global illumination, I often have to go in and turn them off, and itīs a bit more messy to find the proper windows as well, they have done some things easier to acess, but others..I just donīt get it.

You can make whatever settings you always turn off or enable at the beginning for a new scene, and then save that scene as a new default startup scene.

prometheus
03-04-2018, 02:50 PM
You can make whatever settings you always turn off or enable at the beginning for a new scene, and then save that scene as a new default startup scene.

No I cant, running discovery mode..that doesnīt allow to save a scene...so while evaluating, itīs a bit of annoyance..just tiny.
But of course..once you upgrade you can do that.

antik22
03-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Hi almost same thing here. I have problem with glass surfaces in 2018, I've tried Dielectric as well as BSDF, but always getting same result. When two glass panes in behind other its looks pitch black. Played with background colors same results. I have image backdrop in my sciene. Maybe it's have to do with Shadow Catcher though I ve tryed different settings under the Shading Model tab. Check two glass walls on freezer to the right. Is it a bug? p.s. Same with draft mode.

Snosrap
03-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Hi almost same thing here. I have problem with glass surfaces in 2018, I've tried Dielectric as well as BSDF, but always getting same result. When two glass panes in behind other its looks pitch black. Played with background colors same results. I have image backdrop in my sciene. Maybe it's have to do with Shadow Catcher though I ve tryed different settings under the Shading Model tab. Check two glass walls on freezer to the right. Is it a bug? p.s. Same with draft mode.

Be sure and turn off "Double Sided" and crank up "Refraction Recursion Limit" to 4 or more.

antik22
03-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Snosrap , thank you for reply tried all the above. Still the same. Looks like it did not have any samples.
Please note that with BSDF material 100 percent transparency the same, but when I set it to 85 percent its goes away.

Snosrap
03-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Do you have "Opaque" checked? If so un-check it. Also check "Transmittance Distance". I've tried all kinds of scenarios and everything is working as expected. Actually I've never had better glass in LW. :)