PDA

View Full Version : 2018.0.2 is available

CaptainMarlowe
03-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Check your accounts, guys. The change log is quite cool. Team has obviously been busy squashing bugs.

Axis3d
03-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Downloaded.

Chuck
03-01-2018, 02:01 PM
You beat us to it! :)

CaptainMarlowe
03-01-2018, 02:02 PM
;-)

AdamWysokinski
03-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Downloaded and installed, works fine so far.

I've found my reported bug to be corrected, kudos to LW developers :)

Schwyhart
03-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Spline Bridge is fixed.

gar26lw
03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
awesome! thankyou lw devs

prometheus
03-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Just bug fixes?

Bill Carey
03-01-2018, 04:25 PM
That’s a lot of squashed bugs, thanks guys!

evildrganymede
03-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know why they always make these patches reinstall the entire program ("Lightwave 2018.0.2 will install in its own directory")? Why can't they just release a small patch to update the existing directory where necessary?

UnCommonGrafx
03-01-2018, 05:53 PM
HILARIOUS!

Someone give this guy ^^^^ the award for the first GRIPE after the release.

Kudos to the devs.
Robert

Revanto
03-01-2018, 06:29 PM
HILARIOUS!

Kudos to the devs.
Robert

He does make a fair point, though. On one hand it's good to have a backup of a former version to roll back on in case the new update has critical flaws BUT it's a load on resources. A patch would be smaller to download and wouldn't disrupt the setup one already has. Now that the new update is out, I have to reset everything again to the way I like it.

So, his gripe is validated, methinks.

Rev.

js33
03-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know why they always make these patches reinstall the entire program ("Lightwave 2018.0.2 will install in its own directory")? Why can't they just release a small patch to update the existing directory where necessary?

How do you know it's a small patch? System wide bug fixes will usually effect the entire program requiring everything to be recompiled.

Ernest
03-01-2018, 07:02 PM

This actually makes sense to me. You can't change your software in the middle of a project. You need to have the old version installed with exactly the same code that produced the results that the director approved and the new version installed separately so you can start your new projects in it.

JamesCurtis
03-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Methinks that we should be checking the update out and reporting here what our findings are, instead of discussing the decision of whether to do a full install or doing a patch. I know drive space can be precious on a C drive, especially if it's an SSD, but it's up to the devs to decide that, and not us.

You can always delete the old LW version once you've tested it to see that everything is working okay.

JamesCurtis
03-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Now, I see that the Render Status Panel now shows some additional info. Nice subtle change. What else can now be found?

alesxander
03-01-2018, 10:55 PM
excellent news. TNX a lot

Regards from Costa Rica :D

omichon
03-02-2018, 01:22 AM
Only 5 minutes with it and a first new issue to report :

LWB-3504 : When range type is set to Arbitrary, F9 renders wrong frame and Continue button has wrong behavior.
Looks like hitting F9 doesn't render current frame but the first frame of the render range instead.
Moreover, Continue button seems to render next frame instead of leaving the render panel.

side note : makes it quite unusable at the moment since my current project is a 6000 frames project made of a bunch of small frame ranges :\

gar26lw
03-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Only 5 minutes with it and a first new issue to report :

LWB-3504 : When range type is set to Arbitrary, F9 renders wrong frame and Continue button has wrong behavior.
Looks like hitting F9 doesn't render current frame but the first frame of the render range instead.
Moreover, Continue button seems to render next frame instead of leaving the render panel.

side note : makes it quite unusable at the moment since my current project is a 6000 frames project made of a bunch of small frame ranges :\

i can better that.

LWB-3502

if mouse mode on and using a tablet, can’t navigate.

booyakasha! ;)

vipvip242
03-02-2018, 03:30 AM
thanKs a lot, Newtek team
LW 2018 is really excellent !

hypersuperduper
03-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Halleluja! Modeler/Layout syncing is working on mac in 2018.0.2

Wireframex
03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Wrong information sorry ...

evildrganymede
03-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Mate, i haven't posted here for 5 years, I just asked a simple question. I'm not part of and don't care about whatever drama has been happening on this board in the meantime. All I know is that they've always done this (I've had LW going back to version 6) and I've always found it annoying. I cannot believe that we really need to reinstall *everything* just to fix some bugs - as Revanto says, it's annoying, it's unnecessarily large and it's disruptive. If much larger software packages can just replace the files that actually need replacing in their patches then I'm sure it's possible for Lightwave to do that too.

vashts
03-03-2018, 04:55 AM
Mate, i haven't posted here for 5 years, I just asked a simple question. I'm not part of and don't care about whatever drama has been happening on this board in the meantime. All I know is that they've always done this (I've had LW going back to version 6) and I've always found it annoying. I cannot believe that we really need to reinstall *everything* just to fix some bugs - as Revanto says, it's annoying, it's unnecessarily large and it's disruptive. If much larger software packages can just replace the files that actually need replacing in their patches then I'm sure it's possible for Lightwave to do that too.

You still have the option to change installation folder and always overwrite 2018.0 files (maybe for 2018.0.x patches only). I think the real issue is that new versions always start with fresh new configs, because config files are named something like *2018.0.x.cfg . That'd be even fine, but at least LW should be able to import settings from the previous installed version: that would make super-easy and super-fast moving from a version to a next one.

G

Wireframex
03-03-2018, 08:08 AM
You still have the option to change installation folder and always overwrite 2018.0 files (maybe for 2018.0.x patches only). I think the real issue is that new versions always start with fresh new configs, because config files are named something like *2018.0.x.cfg . That'd be even fine, but at least LW should be able to import settings from the previous installed version: that would make super-easy and super-fast moving from a version to a next one.

G

Exactly, it took hours to reinstall all plugins and config like previous version ... Please NT do something for future migrations
Phil

jaf
03-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Maybe the plugin devs could make an installer like LWCAD? I just ran that installer and it was basically clicking on "add 5.5 to lw2018.2" (don't remember the exact wording)

gar26lw
03-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Exactly, it took hours to reinstall all plugins and config like previous version ... Please NT do something for future migrations
Phil

yeah i second this, it’s a pita

THIBAULT
03-04-2018, 10:58 AM
thanKs a lot, Newtek team
LW 2018 is really excellent !

Mmm ! Pour la Visualisation Architecturale, c'est juste le pire workflow de rendu que nous ayons testé depuis longtemps ! Beaucoup de problèmes de netteté, de firefly, de sploches, de bugs ! Juste une horreur ! Et je ne parle même pas d'animation, a oublier ! Il est temps pour notre studio de réinvestir les économies réalisées avec LW vers un autre soft 3D, plus cher mais aussi beaucoup plus performant ! Certainement C4D /Octane / Redshift / LWCAD 5 ! A bientôt !

Mmm! For Architectural Visualization, it's just the worst rendering workflow we've tested in a long time! Many problems of sharpness, firefly, sploches, bugs! Just a horror! And I do not even talk about animation, forget! It is time for our studio to reinvest the savings made with LW to another 3D soft, more expensive but also much more powerful! Certainly C4D / Corona / Redshift / LWCAD 5! See you soon !

fishhead
03-04-2018, 12:01 PM
You obviously seem very frustrated. Thats a pity. But might I ask, why you have waited so long before you decided to switch apps?
I suppose you must haven´t been happy with 2015 also? As surely beautiful renderings and a consistent look of a scenario under different lighting situations are much easier to achieve with the new renderer... Sure it requires the user to adjust to certain things that are clearly different now but wouldn´t it take you at least the same time to get used to a different engine?
I am just curious...

3dworks
03-04-2018, 12:10 PM
LW + Octane rocks for archviz, anyway ;-) Even if I'm still sceptical if the new engine will be worthwhile to be adopted for my workflow - especially because not using the GPU setup, LW 2018 is visibly faster when handling complex scenes, good for archviz, as well. And with the new OD Tools we got so many workflow enhancements that I still need to check out all the new options.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-04-2018, 12:58 PM
I love the new renderer for print projects. It could always be better but the .02 line rendering is exceptional and I already prefer the PBR workflow to Max and Arnold. Newtek does need to get tone-mapping and image filters in the VPR, along with a progressive rendering mode.

Oldcode
03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
I just bought 2018 today and so far, I am not impressed. :cursin:

Every time I try to use the Make Path tool so I can parent to a point, Layout crashes, and Bullet is acting completely crazy. If I forget to click Enable Dynamics off before I make a change or add something, Bullet completely bogs down. I have to spend the next 5 minutes clicking on abort to get it to stop so I can make my changes. Plus, I'm trying to use Bullet to animate some dynamic hair, but even with the same settings as 2015, the hair acts like its being hit by a whirlwind and I can't figure out why.

Upgrading fixed one problem I was having with Kinematic objects, only to create many more problems. :bangwall:

If this is Newtek's idea of an upgrade, Lightwave is in serious trouble. :twak:

UPDATE: I just found that the X field in Gravity was set to 8 meters instead of zero where it should have been. Don't know if I did that or it was a default.

Asticles
03-05-2018, 12:13 AM
I just bought 2018 today and so far, I am not impressed. :cursin:

Every time I try to use the Make Path tool so I can parent to a point, Layout crashes, and Bullet is acting completely crazy. If I forget to click Enable Dynamics off before I make a change or add something, Bullet completely bogs down. I have to spend the next 5 minutes clicking on abort to get it to stop so I can make my changes. Plus, I'm trying to use Bullet to animate some dynamic hair, but even with the same settings as 2015, the hair acts like its being hit by a whirlwind and I can't figure out why.

Upgrading fixed one problem I was having with Kinematic objects, only to create many more problems. :bangwall:

If this is Newtek's idea of an upgrade, Lightwave is in serious trouble. :twak:

UPDATE: I just found that the X field in Gravity was set to 8 meters instead of zero where it should have been. Don't know if I did that or it was a default.

Please make a report. The more bugs we discover, the more will be addressed.

Regards

Oldcode
03-05-2018, 04:21 AM
Please make a report. The more bugs we discover, the more will be addressed.

Regards

I already have. I sent them the scene file and the geometry for the Make Path crashing problem. They say they are working on it. For now, I can use 2015 to make the path, then open the scene in 2018. Most of the rest of the problems I was having so far were due to the gravity thing. Still, this is extremely frustrating. You just want the software to do what it says its supposed to do. :compbeati

gar26lw
03-05-2018, 05:05 AM
I already have. I sent them the scene file and the geometry for the Make Path crashing problem. They say they are working on it. For now, I can use 2015 to make the path, then open the scene in 2018. Most of the rest of the problems I was having so far were due to the gravity thing. Still, this is extremely frustrating. You just want the software to do what it says its supposed to do. :compbeati

thanks man

rustythe1
03-06-2018, 05:25 PM
not sure if its been brought up, what happened to the new light types like tube? gone? did they go in .0.1 and i missed it?

Snosrap
03-06-2018, 06:49 PM
not sure if its been brought up, what happened to the new light types like tube? gone? did they go in .0.1 and i missed it?

They are called Linear Lights and they are still with us. :)

rustythe1
03-07-2018, 04:13 AM
thanks, i found it now, seems i had on OGL problem and the tube wasn't showing in the scene i had, a blank scene soon cleared that up, so used to seeing DP tube in the list i had forgot the wording had changed

ianr
03-07-2018, 08:50 AM
yeah i second this, it’s a pita

yep. i'll third that Too!

Markc
03-11-2018, 07:20 AM
Just installed 2018.0.2.........:grumpy:

Been doing some Daz tests with 2015, from import of obj to render was quite a lot of tweaks with surfaces and lighting.
Opened the obj in LW 2018.0.2.....wow only needed a couple of tweaks for 90% done (mainly transparent surfaces that need a bit more) :D

Tried to open the 2015 scene in 2018.0.2 (from a copy), all good.....open vpr...crash, hit render...crash.

Update: If I only load the lwo into 2018.0.2 (and not the scene), vpr and renderer work fine......
It might be because I have DP lights in the 2015 file?

Markc
03-16-2018, 05:13 AM
Just done a fresh test with the obj in LW2015/LW2018, I was mistaken about tweaks to surfaces.....:foreheads
Only because I had spent a lot of time tweaking in 2015 before 2018 arrived.

Opened same obj in 2015/2018, same couple of mods same result......:)

Oldcode
03-16-2018, 05:56 AM
I'm also having problems with FiberFx in relation to objects with Transparency. If you have an object that uses any transparency , such as with a black and white alpha map, in front of a object using FiberFx, the fibers will show through that object during render time, even if there is a third object between them.

For example, I have a female character who's eye lashes use a alpha map on the transparency channel. When I use FiberFx to generate hair for the character's head, the FiberFx behind the girl's head renders on top of the eye lashes even though the head should be blocking it. I'll try to post a picture later when I'm home.

I'm going to send a bug report to Newtek as well.

Axis3d
03-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Anyone having trouble installing 2018.0.2 on a mac. This is weird because I've installed it on another mac and it worked fine. On this computer, I run the installer and I get a message that states:

"There has been an error. Processes from this build of Lightwave 2018.0.2 appears to be running. Please first properly uninstall this version and run the installer again."

Since I haven't actually installed 2018.0.2, there is nothing to uninstall. Any idea what is happening?

Markc
03-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Its not something daft, like the hub is still open from a previous version is it?
Installed fine here.

Axis3d
03-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Its not something daft, like the hub is still open from a previous version is it?
Installed fine here.

Yeah, I made sure that all lightwave processes were closed (layout, modeler, hub). It installed fine on my home computer.

Markc
03-18-2018, 05:59 AM
Have you checked Activity Monitor for anything that may be related to LW maybe.
Just grasping for straws here.....maybe a restart might fix it :confused:

Another thought, if the nrc is running in the menu bar from 2018.0.1, whether this makes a difference.
I installed 2018, then .01 then .02 without any problem......so a bit bizarre.

Axis3d
03-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Another thought, if the nrc is running in the menu bar from 2018.0.1, whether this makes a difference.

That's a good point about the nrc. I didn't check to see if it was still running after I closed out Layout, Modeler, and Hub. I'll have to wait til tomorrow when I get into work to try that. I'll keep you posted.

Axis3d
03-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Yep, that was it. The NRC was running in the background. Forgot about that. Once I quit that, it installed fine. Thanks.

Markc
03-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

jbrookes
03-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Phil

A good precedent that the LW group might consider taking a look at is the update installer for Ableton Live (I know -- different genre entirely).

However, it is a nice installer. It gives you the option to either install to a new folder or overwrite the old install.

And if you overwrite the old install, all your VST plugins are still in the app's internal folder list (retains its plugin mapping and audio device config settings).

Now if only I could convince Ableton to implement some of LightWave's graph editor features into their envelopes...