PDA

View Full Version : Luminous color in 2018

Tim Parsons
02-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Why is it that when I convert Layered to Principle Nodes, do I get a Luminous Color connection in the node editor? I think its only on surfaces with a texture map, but I could be wrong. I have been disconnecting it as I don't know why it's needed. Can someone please explain to this old dog? :)

DuneBoy
02-27-2018, 03:50 PM
That connection is made, and the color value/env is transferred, because the Standard Material uses the base color for its luminescence. Whereas the Principled Material can use a separate color value for the luminescence. Therefore to maintain the look that was setup via the Standard node, the color/env/connection conversion is made to both the Color and Luminous Color of the Principled Material.

If that transfer wasn't done the converted surface would be luminous with the default gray color.

Tim Parsons
02-28-2018, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the detailed answer Ken!

gar26lw
02-28-2018, 07:14 AM
That connection is made, and the color value/env is transferred, because the Standard Material uses the base color for its luminescence. Whereas the Principled Material can use a separate color value for the luminescence. Therefore to maintain the look that was setup via the Standard node, the color/env/connection conversion is made to both the Color and Luminous Color of the Principled Material.

If that transfer wasn't done the converted surface would be luminous with the default gray color.

couldn’t you just have luminous col be set only if luminous values are set in the std material?

does it have to do it for everything? btw this would be good as an option - convert wih no luminous hook up if it does do it for all.

jwiede
02-28-2018, 08:51 PM
couldn’t you just have luminous col be set only if luminous values are set in the std material?

does it have to do it for everything? btw this would be good as an option - convert wih no luminous hook up if it does do it for all.

File it as a feature request (or bug, I can see justifications for calling it either). If there's no luminosity set, then for UX reasons it really shouldn't auto-hook it into that port, because doing so gives the visual impression something is being used when it really isn't.

gar26lw
03-01-2018, 08:49 AM
File it as a feature request (or bug, I can see justifications for calling it either). If there's no luminosity set, then for UX reasons it really shouldn't auto-hook it into that port, because doing so gives the visual impression something is being used when it really isn't.

yeah i’ve been running into that, ‘tis why i ask. thanks for reply. i’ll try and add a feature bug request :)