PDA

View Full Version : User Commands Tutorial?

Revanto
02-27-2018, 12:26 AM
I haven't really used Modeler 2018 ever since I got the upgrade and I am trying to transfer my settings and Lscripts from LW9.6 (yeah, I know that none of the plugins will work in LW2018).

It's kind of frustrating because there were plugins in 9.6 which I commonly used to model that either does not have an Lscript counterpart or can be done with a regular/standard plugin but has unnecessary steps and/or requires me to open the numeric panel when I don't really need to do so. For example, there was a plugin called "Centre Triple" which is basically the "Spikey Tool" with a 0% setting. It's just an extra unnecessary step I don't want/need to take. There is an Lscript called 'Poke' which does the function of "Centre Triple" but you need to select polygons or the script give you a warning. So, that's just an extra unnecessary step...

Well, since I can't program or make Lscripts, I thought I'd try creating a User Command with some existing plugins. I can't remember how but I made one back in LW5.6 or (6.5. I can't remember which version really) which would mirror copy on the X axis (WITHOUT merging the points). However, I couldn't get things to work in future versions.

I'm trying to make user commands but I can't find a lot of plugins or tools that I need to modify to suit my needs. Apart from the uber-annoying fact that I have to scroll down a major list of tools/plugins using that slow and stupid scrolling method, there are no tutorials on how the actually create a user command step-by-step. There's an official SDK reference guide from Newtek but it's all gibberish to me.

So, until someone comes up with a magical way of converting old plugins to LW2018 compatible ones or equivalent plugins/Lscripts are made, does anyone have or know of a plain-jane tutorial that covers user command creation, preferably a video tutorial?

Ugh, it's so frustrating being so technically handicapped......

Revanto

Tim Parsons
02-27-2018, 07:50 AM
Who said none of the plugins wouldn't work in Modeler 2018 when in fact most of them do. It's Layout 2018 that has the plugin issue. As far as your recording a macro or creating automated actions, Modeler does not provide a way for the average Joe to create them. Layout has LS Commander, but there is nothing like that for Modeler.

Revanto
02-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Who said none of the plugins wouldn't work in Modeler 2018 when in fact most of them do. It's Layout 2018 that has the plugin issue. As far as your recording a macro or creating automated actions, Modeler does not provide a way for the average Joe to create them. Layout has LS Commander, but there is nothing like that for Modeler.

I've tried to load up my 9.6 plugins in LW2018 and all I get are messages saying that cannot load. I just did a test now with autoscan from my 9.6 personal plugin folder and only 4 out of the 190 plugins I had in the folder were accepted. These are third party plugins in that folder, mind you.

So far, all of my Lscripts load but I have yet to test them completely.

User commands are not really macros or actions. They are more like the use of plugins or tools but with set conditions, from what I understand.

Rev.

gar26lw
02-28-2018, 04:34 AM
i suspect your 9.6 is x32. pass us your plugin list and we’ll sort you out with x64

Revanto
02-28-2018, 04:41 AM
i suspect your 9.6 is x32. pass us your plugin list and we’ll sort you out with x64

Yep, it's 32bit. I don't think that LW9.6 ever had a 64bit version.

As for a list, wow, I could probably give a file names list. If I gave you a list of the actual plugin names then it might take a while to type up.

How exactly are you going to give 64bit versions of the plugins? Convert them?
Just curious.

Let me know if want a file name list of a plugin name list.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

gar26lw
02-28-2018, 04:55 AM

As for a list, wow, I could probably give a file names list. If I gave you a list of the actual plugin names then it might take a while to type up.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Cheers,

yeah file names will do it and can try and match up x64 equivalents.

if free can point to a link etc. if paid can mention if x64 version

Tim Parsons
02-28-2018, 06:53 AM

Just curious.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Yeah - you'll just have to find the 64bit equivalents on-line. Some were never made. LScripts don't matter - they work on both. There really isn't many 32bit plugins that either are not 64bit or really needed - two exceptions that I can think of are the free version of Rope Editor and a plugin that found polygons that were doubled up (don't remember the name). I weaned off of 32bit with version 8 which was the first version of LW that was 64bit as I recall.

Revanto
02-28-2018, 07:57 PM
I'll go through the list of plugins that I use often instead of all my plugins. I've downloaded plugins that I may have used once of thought I might use in the future but never did. The ones I use often are more important.

I'll post up my list soon.

Thanks.

Rev. :p

jwiede
02-28-2018, 08:34 PM

PC had 64-bit versions since LW8, the first 64-bit version of Mac LW was 9.6.1 (also the first UB/Cocoa version, moving off Carbon broke a LOT of prior Mac plugins unfortunately incl. Worley stuff, etc.).

Revanto
03-01-2018, 06:23 PM
OK, so I spent a long night configuring my LW2018 plugins and menus to fit my needs and also compile my list of plugins (Yay! Who needs sleep?). These are only for Modeler as far as I know. I also have lots of plugins which I used very barely and they weren't in any of my tabs (like some weight mapping plugins) but I didn't add those. I think that when I need to use them, I'll just deal with it when the time comes. There may also be some overlapping plugins which have similar or same functions but I haven't used them for so long that I've forgotten what they do.

So, here's the list:

- Converge Points (There are Lscripts that do this but they both use the first point as the target. I need to have it so the last point selected is the target)

- Spin Tri Pairs (There's a plugin/tool called "spin edge" but that works in edge mode. Spin Tris was better because it worked in polygon mode)

- Centre Triple (In 9.6, the plugin worked straight away. The 2018 aternatives have that unnecessary extra step)

- (aw) Bezier Bridge

- (aw) Polygon Coloring

- Random Surfacer

- Flush Parts

- Layer To Object

- Move Point on BG

- (FI's) MRSonBGP

- PX Arc_tool

- Edge Opener

- Delete_Map

- Clonez2

- Angle_between_points

- Along_by_2points

- Distance_between_points

- Pmirror

- 3DD Mesh Reknitter

- UVimaginator

- Curve to Polychain

- KW spread

- DS Center Pivot

- PLG Relax UV, Align Chart Direction, Make UVs, Pack UVs, Unweld Uvs, Straighten UV, Select Boundary

- UV Road

- UV Texture Converge

- Select UV Island

- Add Point on BG

- AreaVolume

- Sketch Mesh (I think that this might now be a 3rd Powers Plugin)

- Puttygon

- Normal Map Create

- PB Texture Baker

- PointMoveOnEdge

- MovePointOnBG

- PX Center

- Px_Align

- (PX) Sp_Polygon

- JS_symmXMirror

- Curve 2 blade

- TrueFillet

- PX C_1st_Contact

- Curve 2 Plate

- Select by Map Influence

- UV Road

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope that whatever help you can provide can help others as well.

Cheers,

Revanto
03-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Wow, what happened? I thought someone would have mentioned something by now. Oh well...

Anyway, Stephen Culley was kind enough to adapt one of his own Lscripts to make it work more like Converge Points.

http://stephenculley.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/lscript-modelerconverge.html

Thanks to Stephen to listening to one of my requests.

Anyway, if anyone wants to contribute any more info regarding 64 bit alternate versions of these 32 bit plugins, it is most welcome.

Cheers,