PDA

View Full Version : Sportzcast alternative?

ingeborgdot
02-26-2018, 12:14 PM
I am looking for an automatic box that hooks up to the score control. I have been looking at the Sportzcast 4000. It really seems like what I would like but the cost may be prohibitive. Over $1400 to purchase the box and then $329 a year to maintain. What is the most widely used one out there? What do people use? Thanks.

kanep
02-26-2018, 03:04 PM
The Scorebot 4x00 is the highest end solution, they do make other models, but I don't think they can be switched between sports and scoreboard setups as easly.

Here are some other solutions to check out. You will have to look to see if they meet you needs, but these are very sports focused solutions.
http://graphicsoutfitters.com/
https://suitecg.com/
http://ajtsystems.com/
https://www.deltacast.com/products/delta-stat-ip

What sport and scoreboard system are you trying to connect into? LiveText and TriCaster AE have built in support for some scoreboards.

ingeborgdot
02-26-2018, 09:44 PM
It will be mainly football and basketball, with a little bit of volleyball and wrestling but very little. The scoreboard system is Fairplay.

kanep
02-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Datalink doesn't have Fairplay support, so you will need to look at one of those above links to see which support those scoreboard systems and sports.

ingeborgdot
02-27-2018, 02:07 PM
I really like the graphicsoutfitters stuff but it may be a little more involved than I need. It is really neat stuff though.

kltv
03-01-2018, 11:09 AM
They are great guys to work with too!

Johnnotestine
03-04-2018, 11:31 PM
LiveText and TriCaster AE have built in support for some scoreboards.

Is there a list of compatible scoreboards and a procedure for how this works? I didn't know this was possible without a third party solution.

kanep
03-05-2018, 07:46 AM
There is information in the manuals for these products. Here is the list of the scoreboard systems/sports supported by TriCaster Advanced Edition and LiveText.

Daktronics™ Allsport
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Football
- Hockey
- Soccer
- Volleyball

Daktronics™ Allsport CG
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Football
- Hockey
- Soccer
- Volleyball

DSI (Basketball)

OES
- Basketball
- Hockey

Translux Fairplay
- Basketball
- Football

WhiteWay (Basketball)

Whiteway Rainbow (Basketball)

Also, I didn't know that Translux was Fairplay, so there is support for some sports on that hardware.

Johnnotestine
03-05-2018, 06:50 PM
There is information in the manuals for these products. Here is the list of the scoreboard systems/sports supported by TriCaster Advanced Edition and LiveText.

Daktronics™ Allsport
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Football
- Hockey
- Soccer
- Volleyball

Daktronics™ Allsport CG
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Football
- Hockey
- Soccer
- Volleyball

DSI (Basketball)

OES
- Basketball
- Hockey

Translux Fairplay
- Basketball
- Football

WhiteWay (Basketball)

Whiteway Rainbow (Basketball)

Also, I didn't know that Translux was Fairplay, so there is support for some sports on that hardware.
Holy cow. So you are saying with AE and live text these you don’ t need an Allsport CG or Sportzcast device? It seems like this question has been asked numerous tunes and the answer has always been that a third device is necessary. Is this in the AE manuals?

GThomas
03-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Holy cow. So you are saying with AE and live text these you don’ t need an Allsport CG or Sportzcast device? It seems like this question has been asked numerous tunes and the answer has always been that a third device is necessary. Is this in the AE manuals?

It depends. Some scoreboards output raw serial data (usually via a DB9 port) while others require conversion. I've used both OES and Daktronics scoreboards. With OES, I just plugged in a serial to USB cable from the controller to the laptop and it worked. With (most) Daktronics controllers, you need an All Sport CG to convert the current loop 1/4" to computer readable serial data.

Johnnotestine
03-06-2018, 10:12 PM
It depends. Some scoreboards output raw serial data (usually via a DB9 port) while others require conversion. I've used both OES and Daktronics scoreboards. With OES, I just plugged in a serial to USB cable from the controller to the laptop and it worked. With (most) Daktronics controllers, you need an All Sport CG to convert the current loop 1/4" to computer readable serial data.

Yes, but what I'm hearing is that with AE and Livetext a Daktronics AllSport controller for basketball does NOT need an All Sport CG interface. Maybe I'm confused, but the list posted seems to support this premise.

GThomas
03-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Yes, but what I'm hearing is that with AE and Livetext a Daktronics AllSport controller for basketball does NOT need an All Sport CG interface. Maybe I'm confused, but the list posted seems to support this premise.

Perhaps Kane or Steve could chime in as to the language of the manual.

I believe that the All Sport list being separate from the All Sport CG list has to do with the All Sport meaning a DSTI feed.

SBowie
03-07-2018, 06:54 AM
It's an age since I looked into this stuff, and Kane would have more practical experience - but my recollection is that it used to be common for Daktronics boards to output data over a serial connection, and that was fine back when every computer had a serial port. To use such boards directly with a TriCaster required a serial to USB adapter, but when that was properly configured it worked just fine. Later, people started using the Allsport controllers, but honestly I don't know the first thing about them.

FWIW, Daktronics is quite conversant with TriCaster installations, and can probably answer any questions about what works and what doesn't.

kanep
03-07-2018, 09:06 AM
I've heard that some older Dak systems can run without the All Sport CG (I don't know what boards or what versions). But for anything current an All Sport CG is what is required. I tell everyone that they should get the All Sport CG unit, it should work in all cases.

ZachSchuster
03-07-2018, 11:17 AM
The AllSport CG exists to provide a "universal translator" for various control consoles in to a generic serial data feed (or "TV Feed"). It also acts as a buffer between the receiving computer and the console so if someone wires their own serial cord and screws up the pinout, the console is protected. It also gives them reason to sell more expensive hardware. ;)

But seriously, they don't want people plugging in just anything directly in to their consoles. I'm not sure how Sportzcast gets away with it because I was told by Daktronics when I did media at a university that their technicians would disconnect any third-party equipment while out on service calls.

stp_productions
03-08-2018, 04:28 PM
But seriously, they don't want people plugging in just anything directly in to their consoles. I'm not sure how Sportzcast gets away with it because I was told by Daktronics when I did media at a university that their technicians would disconnect any third-party equipment while out on service calls.

They gave up a losing battle but the fact is most schools I have seen only plug them in before the game (single bnc or 1/4 inch) so when service calls are made they usually are not around.