PDA

View Full Version : lw 8 feature list?

cresshead
12-24-2003, 05:20 PM
hi there, n happy xmas.

If lightwave 8 is now in beta that should mean that there's going to be no added features and just a stability period of development so for a xmas day present, can we see what we've paid for in advance via upgrades with a "full feature list" of ightwave 8?

would be nice as a conselation for holding back on releasing lighwave 8 till you squashed all the bugs out.

steve g

riki
12-24-2003, 06:20 PM
I think they do deals for exclusives with CG mags, to get coverage, so it's not likely that they'd give that adavantage up for free.

cresshead
12-24-2003, 06:37 PM
as one of the many people who have bought the upgrade i can say that they wouldn't giving it up for free anyways!

plus, i know that magazines do not pay a penny for information or such like..i recieved ziltch for my lightwave & combustion video's in digit magazine so forget the exclusive deals..except for maybe a lightwave 8 demo on one of their magazines cd's which may actually be why we are still waiting for lw8...will be interesting to see if lw8 comes out when a magazine runs the review and demo in the cd rom...

...bah humbug etc...!!!

i'd just like to know what i've bought really..:rolleyes:

steve g

riki
12-24-2003, 06:51 PM
There's other forms of currency other than money, namely exposure. I wasn't suggesting that they got paid. But Newtek have done deals in the past the past (exclusive demos etc) with previous updates to give the release some extra oomph. It then filters down through to the rest of us. But they have announced that they will publish a features list in the not too dstant future.

cresshead
12-24-2003, 07:54 PM
i'm hoping that if we are to wait for any great amount of time that we'd [the people who have bought the update] be offered to run the beta version so we can get on and start animating characters in lw 8 rather than rig the old way or use other software [ i use character studio 3 n max 4 currently to supplement for lightwave 7's slow/problematic rigging system]

i'm not moaning too much am i?

s'pose i'm still a kid a heart...can't wait for his pressies!

steve g

cresshead
12-25-2003, 06:12 PM
still waiting for the full feature list..but i'm passing the time by watching some of my BABYLON 5 tapes...boy does lightwave look good even now in babylon 5, which is some years ago and probably lightwave 4..im just watching season 4 tape 1 right now...much better than what's on offer via the t.v on xmas day for sure!

any good babylon 5 lightwave sites around??

later!

riki
12-25-2003, 06:36 PM
I haven't seen babylon 5 is it a TV series?

cresshead
12-25-2003, 07:48 PM
yeah!...one heck of a tv serise too!

brilliant story arc rather than the "soap in space" we get with sar trek, enterprise and voyager...deep space nine was pretty good though..

i'm going to get the dvd's this year as i don't have all the tapes [video]

babylon 5 was the first time i saw lightwave in action and made me decide on getting inspire 3d which was my second full 3d app [first was bryce]

cresshead
12-28-2003, 04:47 AM
still no sign of the full feature list....

out of all the things "coming soon" from proton like new screen grabs and tutorial videos..the feature list is what i'd like to read/see most...other than lw8 download link of course!

....what's in it????..feels like a xmas box with too much wrapping paper!

stee+cats

Yog
12-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Posted earlier by Chuck
NewTek HQ in the US is closed from December 24-28 2003, open December 29-31, closed again January 1-4 2004, and returns on January 5th.

hrgiger
12-28-2003, 06:45 AM
You might be being a wee bit impatient Steve. Perhaps we'll hear some news between the 29-31 which is tomorrow through Wednesday. Of course, they did say after the holidays so that might mean after the New Year. No biggie, not that much longer now.

cresshead
12-28-2003, 06:56 AM
yeah too true!

with all the rumours of auto lip sync and possible additions to modeler and maybe some tweeks to the lights and renderer speed i'd like to see the "big picture" and put all those whispers behind us and concentrate on what's in lightwave 8 and not what may be or not be included...i've had enough of "maybe's" and alike over the last 6 month's"....i'd like to see hard facts now!

and no more "vapourware" fiction from posters etc...and just to nail it down about the U.I. i believe that newtek had to give ligtwave 8 a new look which may or may not be to everyones taste to achieve a couple of major tasks...

1.ushsure in the new version of lightwave with a new "lw8 look"
2.move away from the old lightwave look as NEWTEK have a new development team now for lw8 and need to be seen to be different and treading a new path of development for it's future.

i think i'll install digital fusion later...

NanoGator
12-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by riki
I think they do deals for exclusives with CG mags, to get coverage, so it's not likely that they'd give that adavantage up for free.

It'd be nice if they'd give exclusives to the people that already paid for the upgrade. :mad:

Tesselator
12-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
It'd be nice if they'd give exclusives to the people that already paid for the upgrade. :mad:

Hehehe,

Okay but only if you promise to advertize to 50,000 people
per month on a paper based medium. :D

robinson
12-30-2003, 05:45 PM
check out this link

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14725&highlight=feature

not a newtek list, but at least that's what we know (or heard) so far :(

sire
12-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
1.ushsure in the new version of lightwave with a new "lw8 look"
2.move away from the old lightwave look as NEWTEK have a new development team now for lw8 and need to be seen to be different and treading a new path of development for it's future.
And this is expressed by changing to a look similar to LW 5.5/5.6? Only the (default) colors are really different from all previous versions. Wow, big deal... :) What a dramatic change!

Seriously - every reviewer will rather scoff at the GUI change as very obviously being a cheap cosmetic trick. Let's hope this won't influence the overall impression too much.

i think i'll install digital fusion later...
I just finally did it. Nice prog. Although I didn't notice before that DFX+ means essentially a lite version of Digital Fusion which is mainly limited to 8 bits per channel. Still darn good value for a prepurchase bonus.

cresshead
12-30-2003, 07:03 PM
"that DFX+ means essentially a lite version of Digital Fusion which is mainly limited to 8 bits per channel"

8 bits per channel is fine for t.v work so fusion+ is a real steal as a freeby for upgraders of lightwave the capabilities of fusion plus should be about the same as standard after effects or combustion 1..but node based and much cheaper!

steve g

sire
12-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I know - I'm far from complaining! It's a great gift. I only slightly disagree on 8bit/channel is always enough for TV stuff. With some heavy colour correction or similar adjustments banding can quickly occur. More bits would be even sweeter, but I repeat: I'm not really complaining.

colkai
12-31-2003, 04:40 AM
Heh,
I don't even know where to start with it, it's on my PC but as a hobbyist - I've never looked at it's uses before as until the upgrade, it was outside of my price area. Cool!

One question - is it purely video, that is, no audio facilities at all?
I am not sure if it is seen only as a compositor, or if it has video editing (split / join etc..) facilities

As I say, totally green in this area, though given what I may be called upon to do over the next year or so, I may actually get to use it "in anger" as it where! :D

Kvaalen
12-31-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by colkai
Heh,
I don't even know where to start with it, it's on my PC but as a hobbyist - I've never looked at it's uses before as until the upgrade, it was outside of my price area. Cool!

One question - is it purely video, that is, no audio facilities at all?
I am not sure if it is seen only as a compositor, or if it has video editing (split / join etc..) facilities

As I say, totally green in this area, though given what I may be called upon to do over the next year or so, I may actually get to use it "in anger" as it where! :D

DFX has very little sound capabilities. The only thing you can do is load sound (no MP3 support but that doesn't matter) to the saver and then you can get rid of the saver or whatever but you'll still have the sound playing when ever you scrub through or make a preview. As far as I know there are no sound editing options like in AE.

As for editing... it is possible and you can create transitions and all, but it is many times harder and more complicated than a normal editing system. I don't advise doing editing with it. But with AE for instance, editing is very easy.

Don't get me wrong, I love DFX and I think it is great! Those two points seem to be its' only weak stuff. I'm satisfied with it though I do wish those two things would be easier.

If you think of it... with all that DFX has till now. To create a basic and simple editing solution should be really simple for them. That would be a great bonus, even if they included it as a seperate app or maybe even another module. :)

Tesselator
12-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by sire
Yeah, I know - I'm far from complaining! It's a great gift. I only slightly disagree on 8bit/channel is always enough for TV stuff. With some heavy colour correction or similar adjustments banding can quickly occur. More bits would be even sweeter, but I repeat: I'm not really complaining.

You're right! 8Bits is not enough for alot (10% - 15%) of the
work I've done for TV and "broadcast" video. But then again
I haven yet taken any TV or broadcast video jobs that couldn't
easlily pay for the upgrade. And LOL for Web and AVI stuff
the mgeg compression destroys more than the 8Bit limit
produces. So to me it's like, the most usefull DF tools are
there and when you're ready to take it to the next step
your project budget will likely cover it. BTW, I've maintained
the full DF version since 2.5 and I love it to pieces. It blows
away everything else I've played with including AE. It can
use every AE plug-in I've thrown at it too. :D

DF Rocks!