PDA

View Full Version : Transparency Isuues

moon1
02-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Can somebody help me fix this issue with the transparency without having to use clip maps, also you can see the edge of the polygons at the bottom when using transparency.

CaptainMarlowe
02-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to use clip maps ?

jwiede
02-20-2018, 02:06 PM
I went ahead and filed it as a bug (LWB-3429), as well. Transparency maps shouldn't really produce such artifacts -- using clip maps isn't always an option.

UGH. They immediately closed the issue because it lacked content (other than OP's picture, which I'd included). Moon1, you should probably file a bug with content, if possible.

aperezg
02-21-2018, 05:55 AM
Can somebody help me fix this issue with the transparency without having to use clip maps, also you can see the edge of the polygons at the bottom when using transparency.

Use a clip map texture instead of transparency.

02-21-2018, 07:11 AM
If you don't want that to show up, use a clip map.
With transparency, it is still "there" to all the rays being fired at it. That is to say, lights will affect it as in your example picture.

Not a bug that I can see; looks more like the need for a change in recipe, as it were.

If this is a case of you NEEDING to use transparency for some purpose, you would need to work around such limitations. Ya know, a clip map.

moon1
02-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Loosing to much info with a clip map. Clip maps are good for solid hard edge texture maps but not for delicate strands of hair. FiberFx has to many bugs to work with it. I have sent reports to Newtek about problems with fiberfx crashing my machine everytime, plus it is a render hog. I am using Lightwave 2018. Trying to use image planes with no success as well, to many artifacts. Is there another work around with transparency or am I just up the creek. I see this stuff done in other programs with no problem. Is it just Lightwave?

OFF
02-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Dont use reflection or specular on the transparency areas. Invert your transparent map to make reflections.

vipvip242
02-21-2018, 11:19 AM
indeed, i encounter this problem with transparencies (leaves), even when applying specular/transparencies masks : and clipmaps are to "cutting" for some fine transitions in some cases: there is obviously some problems with transparencies in LW18.01, or i miss something...