PDA

View Full Version : Blog Post - 2018 intro tour

gar26lw
02-20-2018, 04:34 AM
https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2018/02/lightwave-3d-2018-an-introductory-tour/

like that pic of a spaceship in the header.

Every4thPixel
02-20-2018, 07:33 AM
The video mentions a renderer written from the ground up and "Substantially better". I've to say the quality of the renders look great except when you have interior scenes that use interpolated radiosity. Interpolated GI is ridiculously slow and the quality is really really bad and actually looks exactly like the old system. I really have my questions by the "Totally new render build from the ground up". If that is true this is pretty hopeless.
I can post a scene that shows this. If anyone wants to see or find a solution or wants to disprove my statement feel free to comment below ;). This same scene renders fine in Maya with Vray and Arnold.
I really hope the dev people come up with a new interpolation method because the current one really sucks.

gar26lw
02-20-2018, 07:46 AM
yeah man, post the scene. id like to compare to arnold in maya, myself.

btw, i can render a scene with the principal shader in fprime in 2018. how’s that possible?

jwiede
02-20-2018, 08:04 AM
btw, i can render a scene with the principal shader in fprime in 2018. how’s that possible?

Oh that's frigging HILARIOUS! How does it look in fPrime? Please post a rendered result using it, with times!

gar26lw
02-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Oh that's frigging HILARIOUS! How does it look in fPrime? Please post a rendered result using it, with times!

looks ok at first glance. i didn’t do anything serious, just flicked it on. you have to set cs to linear of course. i’m on the ipad atm, when i’m at comp, i’ll try for a comparison.

Every4thPixel
02-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Hahaha That's odd?! I don's want to start a conspiracy theory or rumors but it looks like the new render is based on the old one. They just removed the diffuse and specular properties and optimized the reflection raytracing and sampling. ;) (just kidding)

I'll post the scene when I have it available. (tonight)

GandB
02-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Good video blog! Thanks.

ianr
02-20-2018, 09:25 AM

I agree, shows how good (robust) Worley's coding was.

Could this be the year of Necro-plug-Ins ?

jwiede
02-20-2018, 09:49 AM
I agree, shows how good (robust) Worley's coding was.

And shows that the new pBSDF shader isn't a "pre-processing node".

Also makes me raise an eyebrow regarding the "Physically Based Rendering System: Completely rewritten rendering, shading and lighting architecture for greater realism, accuracy and ease-of-use" quote from the LW2018 press release. :devil:

Every4thPixel
02-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Here is a scene that has issues with interpolated GI 140205

The HDR was to big to upload here but I used this one DS360_3DWorld_05_Ref.hdr found here http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

There a multiple camera positions to play with. Frames 0 1 2 and 3.

Good luck