PDA

View Full Version : When do you think LW 8 should (have) come/came out



nerdyguy227
12-24-2003, 09:09 AM
There have been many arguments of how NewTek should have handled the timing problem with LightWave 8's releace time. I have posted this poll so people could see what the magarity would prefer. If you voted for other than post what you would rather have happen(ed).

mix
12-24-2003, 09:37 AM
JESUS!!!

mix
12-24-2003, 09:38 AM
was born on this day.
happyXmas:)

JeF
12-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
Do an open bata test now
Some kind of open shoes test? Might be a bit cold right now for a tongs test.
www.bata.com

TyVole
12-24-2003, 10:06 AM
To be entirely accurate, "Bata" the shoe really should be spelled with a soft "T", like "Bat'a."

Original1
12-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I think Newteks strategy is spot on.

Some people may be crying cause they don't have a new toy to play with christmas morning but those of us who make a living with Lightwave need a stable mature release.

This type of infantile post is not helpful, I've known chuck and the team for a number of years and trust the integrity of Newtek.

I'd rather give them the time to get it right, than spend production time cussing at a buggy release.

DeltaF86
12-24-2003, 01:18 PM
I think they are doing fine...:rolleyes:

mkiii
12-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Personally, I would prefer Newtek to put a spellchecker in this forum instead of wasting all that time developing 3d applications.

BTW Original1 - He says he is 12, so technically, that makes him Puerile or Juvenile rather than infantile. :)

Kvaalen
12-24-2003, 01:28 PM
This thread is asking to turn out nasty like all the rest (thought I hope it doesn't). I really don't see the point of this, but oh well.

I think NT is doing fine! It isn't the end of the world if we get LightWave [8] just a little later. I'd rather get a stable version.

BTW, I've never tried it but there exists http://spellcheck.net/ :)

mkiii
12-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Well for my part, I got what I asked for. Confirmation from Chuck that [8] is not yet ready.

Contrary to some of the opinions stated in other threads, that is all I was after. I'm disappointed that I won't get to play with it while I'm off work for the hols, but I can cope with it.

I do think that the [8] preview page (which still has the q4 delivery date) should be changed to reflect this news ASAP though, because not everyone reads this forum.

JeF
12-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by TyVole
To be entirely accurate, "Bata" the shoe really should be spelled with a soft "T", like "Bat'a."

!?
Uhm.. I need some help on this one!

:D

pauland
12-24-2003, 03:18 PM
I think Newteks strategy is spot on.

riki
12-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Anytime in the next quarter would be great. I'd prefer a solid app rather than ending up as a defacto beta testa.

cresshead
12-24-2003, 06:46 PM
if it's going to be longer than jan 30th 2004 i believe that a open beta for those who paid for the upgrades to lw8 is the proper thing to do so that the early adoptors get what they paid for and those who are waiting can continue to "wait n see"...

everyone wins....

1.early adoptors can test drive
2.no reviews of buggy software as it's not a "released version yet"
3.feedback from the userbase can give newtek a little breathing space for extras that couldn't make the release date if they want to add them in.


steve g

nerdyguy227
12-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Original1
I think Newteks strategy is spot on.

Some people may be crying cause they don't have a new toy to play with christmas morning but those of us who make a living with Lightwave need a stable mature release.

This type of infantile post is not helpful, I've known chuck and the team for a number of years and trust the integrity of Newtek.

I'd rather give them the time to get it right, than spend production time cussing at a buggy release.

I completly agree. I think it is great how they are handiling a miscalculation on the date. Giving us vidios and other things in the mean time while they are developing LW 8 is a great way to do it.


My full opinion for them is:
keep doing what your doing now (with all the vidios and stuff) then when most of the bugs are out then (in about 1-3 weeks) releace 8.0. After about a month has passed releace 8.0b. If LW 8.0 would be out in a few weeks anyway don't bother with what I just said.

Of corse that is just my opinion and I don't know how the development is exactly going.

zeno
12-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Tsehe raemin me to teh sroties of Braon Van Mnucahuesn
:D






-These remain me to the stories of Baron Van Munchausen-

Original1
12-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
.


My full opinion for them is:
keep doing what your doing now (with all the vidios and stuff) then when most of the bugs are out then (in about 1-3 weeks) releace 8.0. After about a month has passed releace 8.0b.

Theres only one danger with a strategy of releasing a beta, that is you get loads of people ringing up for support, and that takes resources away from developing the software and or the tutorials, I know many of the studios are already beta testing so maybe a wider beta test is not needed.

I for one would like to see more effort go in to tutorials, content and better manuals so we get more out of Lightwave 8.0 in terms of productivity. Then go with a mature b or point upgrade later in the year based on feedback from the user base once we have all had a chance to evaluate the softwave and its true capabilties

pauland
12-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Yawn.. this 'yes but/give us a beta' stuff is wearing thin. Time to unsubscribe the thread and let the moaners have it to themselves.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Paul

nerdyguy227
12-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Original1
Theres only one danger with a strategy of releasing a beta, that is you get loads of people ringing up for support, and that takes resources away from developing the software and or the tutorials, I know many of the studios are already beta testing so maybe a wider beta test is not needed.

I for one would like to see more effort go in to tutorials, content and better manuals so we get more out of Lightwave 8.0 in terms of productivity. Then go with a mature b or point upgrade later in the year based on feedback from the user base once we have all had a chance to evaluate the softwave and its true capabilties

I agree but I only suggested to releace differant versions if it will take more then a month. it would only be for a little while. Within the 1-3 weeks they should keep giving us vidio tuts.

agen I don't know exactly where the company is with this.

Tesselator
12-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi guys. I voted "Other" so I guess I have to explain as specified. :)

-- It should be released whenever NewTek desides to do so.

It's thier program afterall We're just paying for the right to
use it. I believe there is already a paid beta program where
you can get early releases if you're into that. I used to be on
it untill about the time 5.6 was released. While still selective
I do believe they are less choosy these days so if you know
LW or intend to write Plug-ins or scripts you may have a good
chance for that.

I'll add to this that so far this has worked well for me. I haven't
felt let down by a single release yet since 1.0 and there have
been many free versions and extra goodies along the way. The
L6 release confuced the heck out of me for awhile tho. But in a
good way :)

Hervé
12-27-2003, 01:54 AM
I voted other.... well I think I'd like to see it (lw8) in middle February around the 20 or 21.... that would be nice... really nice !

Matt
12-27-2003, 07:38 AM
when it's ready :rolleyes:

I see no point in this thread, sorry.

JML
12-30-2003, 03:41 PM
when it's ready

Alan Daniels
12-30-2003, 03:56 PM
When its ready. Sheesh.

pblacklock
12-30-2003, 06:01 PM
could this guy be CIM JR

:D

colkai
12-31-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
if it's going to be longer than jan 30th 2004 i believe that a open beta for those who paid for the upgrades to lw8 is the proper thing to do so that the early adoptors get what they paid for and those who are waiting can continue to "wait n see"...
steve g

Interesting Idea that Steve, I'd be up for a crash-test dummy role ;)

Zach
01-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Just remember, it took Softimage a long time to turn into XSI.

ibanezhead
01-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I think 8 should have been released 18 months after 7. That would have been Q1 of 2003, if my math is right...

cresshead
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
yeah i think an "open beta" for the artists that paid for the upgrade last year who were under the impression that lightwave 8 would be out before the end of 2003 is a good and very fair option IF [we don't know yet]...i'll say it again just to make it clear..

IF lightwave 8 is not released by 30 jan 2004 then early adopters should be able to adopt a beta version of lw 8..

i've been putting off buying ACS4 or motion builder 5 because i thought that lightwave 8 would be out by now...and now i've missed the boat for motionbuilder 5 cheap upgrade...what do i do now...how long do i wait for lightwave 8?

i really want to get on and use that ik booster for character rigging/animating and don't want to spend time learning how to ik the "old way" just to dump all that knowledge in 2 months...

i do have ACS3...but i'd like FK arms not ik arms...

what to do!...

it must be difficult for newtek, they don't want to give out another date and miss it again but they would like to let us know when they expect 8 to launch...also there's many MAC based artists that can't run lightwave 7.5 without it crashing on the latest G5 mac's runnig the latest O/S..so there in a more desparate situation than me and i feel for them as i'm looking at buying a mac but realistically i can't as it wouldn't work on the O/S that it ships with if i did buy one today...

steve g

colkai
01-03-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
i've been putting off buying ACS4 or motion builder 5 because i thought that lightwave 8 would be out by now...and now i've missed the boat for motionbuilder 5 cheap upgrade...what do i do now...how long do i wait for lightwave 8?

Steve,
I was in the same baot myself about whether to get MB5, with shipping etc.. it will cost me between 150 & 200 ukp.

However, having played with MB4, I decided (pushed by my wife - yeah go Jill! ;) ), that it was a must-buy for the price.
Looking over it, I can't see any way LW8 could compete with it, especially when you add in the quadraped and motion blending / pose / story facilities.
I haven't even got into CA yet, but even a twit like me can get a half-decent walk-cycle in 5 minutes!

It's a shame you missed out on the deal as I think it's $495 now if you have the PLE.
Mind you, that's not to say LW8 won't be improved for CA, everything we've seen so far shows it will. It's just MB5 is a very oriented tool so there isn't really a comparision in terms of like for like.