PDA

View Full Version : How to "project" polys on other polys

madno
02-18-2018, 02:57 AM
Hi,

I vaguely remember there was a way to project geometry on other geometry (e.g. to close holes in a miter cut) but I forgot the HowTo. Can somebody help?

Screenshot explains it better.

Sensei
02-18-2018, 06:45 AM
In the case of your example, I would close it manually.
Start from making 4 quads.
Then select 4 edges which they share each other.
And press 'l'.

Another approach would to use Move tool with Falloff.

MonroePoteet
02-18-2018, 07:55 AM
You might have some luck if you put the cap in another layer, the miter in the background, use Shear (or rotate and stretch) to get it close, and then use Modify=>Transform=>BG Conform to move the foreground points to their closest background point, cut-n-paste the cap to the foreground and Merge Points.

If you used Shear to create the miter itself, you could use the saved values to shear the cap as well.

mTp

prometheus
02-18-2018, 08:58 AM
if you have a perfect match of size in the mesh part to cap with (top mesh) you could use either snap drag to snape the points to the edges, or maybe better ..use axis translate and select edges then left mouse click and drag a vertex to the target points, or select the axis translate hud option of edges and drag from one edge to the target edge, note ..this means individual selection of the edge initially, otherwise it will drag the whole segment, so you would need to manually select each edge and axis translate snap it to the other edges.

for capping manually, I would probably select one edge on the inner beam, and one edge on the other beam and use create/more/edges 2 polys (setup shortcut for it) then directly after flip the polys, then do the same with the remaining three sides.
itīs a bit easier than selecting four points at each side and make poly.

prometheus
02-18-2018, 09:12 AM
actually...heatshrink with the cap mesh in one layer, and the beam mesh in background layer, then use closest points/both...that might do the trick very fast.
Flatten layers and merge points, check statistic that 8 points truly is merged, assuming this was a case with simple four point quad corners.

BigHache
02-18-2018, 09:31 AM
A bit manual, but if you remove the center edges, you can Weld each set of verts around, then add your center edges again if needed. Manual but extremely simple.

Or bridge your edges around and the floating geo isn't even needed.

Kryslin
02-18-2018, 09:58 AM
you can weld the points of the cap to the points of the lower piece, or like Big_Hache mentions, use bridge on pairs of edges, and dipose of the floating geometry altogether.

prometheus
02-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Yes of course, use select edges and bridge, forget what I said about edges to polys, that is more tedious..canīt grasp why I missed that.
But otherwise, heatshrink if you want to use the extra geometry to cap it.

madno
02-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Hi,
thanks all. Used the bridge way - was the fastest one for me.

Lewis
02-28-2018, 04:17 PM
I know it's too late now (sorry didn't see topic earlier) but here is how i would do it so it might help you in future.

cheers

madno
03-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Never to late. Miter cuts come all the time. Nice technique, thanks.

gar26lw
03-01-2018, 06:24 AM
there’s a couple of good plugins for this stuff.

big conform plus

and snap point to unselected, snap points to background.

pictrix sp_shear will also work