PDA

View Full Version : edge rounding

gar26lw
02-16-2018, 05:07 PM
https://developer.blender.org/D2803

hrgiger
02-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Rounded edge shader is essential for me. Use it on just about everything with Modo.

THIBAULT
02-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Perfect round edge with Octane !

erikals
02-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Perfect round edge with Octane !
i read previous versions of Octane ER was bad (?) hopefully it got fixed in Octane 3.0

or perhaps that was only the standalone version.

jwiede
02-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Rounded edge shader is essential for me. Use it on just about everything with Modo.

Agreed, once you have it, makes sense to use it just about everywhere with hard-surface models.

Really would be good if LW got one sooner than later, whether native or third-party.

gar26lw
02-17-2018, 03:39 PM
it’s getting old that to get functionality we need to rely on 3rd party

Revanto
02-23-2018, 04:15 AM
Agreed, once you have it, makes sense to use it just about everywhere with hard-surface models.

Really would be good if LW got one sooner than later, whether native or third-party.

I think that there are 2 different free plugins (one node, one surface shader) that does edge shading but not sure if they work in LW2015 and up. The only problem is that if you have intersecting geometry (EG two cubes overlapping) then you won't get the overlapped edges smoothed with these plugins unlike the Modo shader.

Rev. :p

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2018, 08:29 AM
it’s getting old that to get functionality we need to rely on 3rd party

Yes I agree, it's much better to have this feature built in natively.

jbrookes
02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Why not just request it as a feature?

Revanto
02-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Yes I agree, it's much better to have this feature built in natively.

I have often found that most third party plugins and lscripts can be more stable and reliable than native LW tools. Not all the time but often.

Rev. :p

daforum
02-24-2018, 12:21 AM
Can you list them?

jwiede
02-25-2018, 12:14 PM
I think that there are 2 different free plugins (one node, one surface shader) that does edge shading but not sure if they work in LW2015 and up. The only problem is that if you have intersecting geometry (EG two cubes overlapping) then you won't get the overlapped edges smoothed with these plugins unlike the Modo shader.

Do you have names & author, or better, URLs for either of them?

I've been seeking one of these so long for LW, I'd love to check these out, even if they don't handle object intersection.

gar26lw
02-25-2018, 12:34 PM
only ones i know of are tb edge shader and dpont node. neither work in 2018 afaik

Axis3d
02-25-2018, 04:37 PM
I have been using the one in DPkit for years. A shader node called Edge. I haven't installed the DPkit plugins in 2018 yet - I guess I assumed it wouldn't work. Maybe it does.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

jwiede
02-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I have been using the one in DPkit for years. A shader node called Edge. I haven't installed the DPkit plugins in 2018 yet - I guess I assumed it wouldn't work. Maybe it does.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Plugin "loads", but DP Edge node doesn't appear here when selected or via Add Node->DP Kit->Shaders->Edge (on Mac LW2018, works in LW2015.3). Also, if you check the "compatible plugins" thread, I believe DP Kit is reported as non-working there as well. Not surprising, given the SDK changes.

Sensei
02-25-2018, 07:27 PM
LW <= 2015.3.x nodes are completely incompatible with LW 2018.x

I will make edge rounding node compatible with LW 2018.x
Write me mail @ Contact (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Contact)

dpont
02-26-2018, 12:06 AM
About Edge node from DPKit,
there's a fully working version for LW 2018,
forgotten in some bottom drawer at Newtek,
like many other nodes, in fact since LW 2016...

Who knows why it or they can be available
for users right now? Who knows?

I made the job as usual, but just get an endless unsufferrable opacity, that's all.
Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

wingzeta
02-26-2018, 12:35 AM

I made the job as usual, but just get an endless unsufferrable opacity, that's all.
Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

Dear NewTek,

Please explain this.

gar26lw
02-26-2018, 01:00 AM

Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

:(

So sorry to hear this Denis.

So, does this mean that the Dpont nodes cannot be updated on your website due to NT restrictions?

jwiede
02-26-2018, 01:54 AM

Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

Denis, sorry to hear about that, must be frustrating. In any case, thanks for all your efforts!

Otterman
02-26-2018, 02:09 AM
No Edge Node = No Upgrade for me. It's in Newteks interest to help Dpont here. In fact they should be jumping to his tune and paying him too boot.

gar26lw
02-26-2018, 04:14 AM
No Edge Node = No Upgrade for me. It's in Newteks interest to help Dpont here. In fact they should be jumping to his tune and paying him too boot.

1,000,000,000 %

nt owe denis the mother of all appreciative thankyous for what he has contributed to the product over the years.

adk
02-26-2018, 05:04 AM
... that's the shi##st news no matter which way you look at it.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-26-2018, 05:28 AM
I suspect there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication due to the personnel changes. Newtek will hopefully reach out and promptly resolve the situation.

Otterman
02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
I suspect there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication due to the personnel changes. Newtek will hopefully reach out and promptly resolve the situation.

Well we all know about the lack of communication between us the customer and them, then all the internal bollox and now freezing out third party plugin devs. I'm not expecting it to be resolved anytime soon. It's the Newtek way.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-26-2018, 07:26 AM
In any case, Newtek has been publically called out by one of their most valuable 3rd Party developers. Somebody from Newtek should look into this immediately.

02-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Hmm...

This got interesting in a not so good way...

Denis is obviously fed up being asked to do/give what he has so obviously done/given to NewTek, who has not released/incorporated it into the code.

Disturbing, to say the least.

Get it in gear, NewTek.
Robert

allabulle
02-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Oh, dear. This is not good at all.

OjN
02-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Oh, dear. This is not good at all.
It's really disturbing... Dpont nodes are very important for a lot of users.
I would love to see filters nodes again in lw18...for me was vital for camera exposure and color correction in real time (f-prime Gerardo trick), and do similar adjustments stuff like v-ray frame buffer viewer offers. Newtek take a look!! https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/V-Ray+Frame+Buffer+%7C+VFB

Oscar

Chuck
02-26-2018, 10:02 AM
We will of course be looking into this and getting in touch with Denis, whom we do, in fact, appreciate greatly. There has clearly been a miscommunication somewhere and we'll work to get that sorted.

m.d.
02-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Still haven’t updated (or even downloaded the trial)
This sure ain’t helping sell me.

Dennis usually doesn’t say much on the forums. Sounds like the communications is as bad between devs as it was customers.

Appreciated all your efforts through the years Dennis. Many times your nodes made projects possible that otherwise would not be. I honestly would rather have your nodes under your control.

oliverhotz
02-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Still haven’t updated (or even downloaded the trial)
Sounds like the communications is as bad between devs as it was customers..

it is not (I am considering myself one of the 3rd party devs).. so stop trolling and let them sort it out...

m.d.
02-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Trolling since 2003, updating every version since day 1.

Edit: Gave you a couple hundred dollars along the way as well, and Dennis a few donations. (That’s how committed I am to trolling)
And IMO Dpont plugs have been the most valuable 3rd party plugs available to LW. And if he’s using dates like 2016, then there is a comms problem at least with him.

erikals
02-26-2018, 11:38 AM
like many other nodes*, in fact since LW 2016...

Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

We will of course be looking into this and getting in touch with Denis, whom we do, in fact, appreciate greatly. There has clearly been a miscommunication somewhere and we'll work to get that sorted.

hi Chuck, remember that there are several nodes* that are missing.

zardoz
02-26-2018, 12:44 PM
these were converted.
AS Math Node 0.220 (x64)(2018) (180119)

http://www.neko.ne.jp/~asagi/P2P/Plugins/lay.html

wingzeta
02-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Thanks for jumping on this Chuck. The DP plugins are a big part of a lot of people's workflows. If this can be sorted out, and the plugins become available for the new version, it would be a big win for LW 2018.

On top of that, it would be great if Denis, continued to have an interest in putting his skill toward LW, so please make sure to treat him well. Again thanks for being quick to acknowledge the situation, and being proactive. I know LW kind of landed in your lap recently, so cheers from the peanut gallery.:D

sudac20
02-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

what a joke... dpot was the saving grace for LW for years. How the LWG could botch this relationship is beyond me... talk about dysfunctional leadership.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Relax. Transitional situation. NewTek knows. Chuck is on top of it.

Cageman
02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
it is not (I am considering myself one of the 3rd party devs).. so stop trolling and let them sort it out...

+1

During beta phase, LW3DG were very responsive in fixing bugs and, in some cases, even added new features, to support the project we were working on that time.

So, lets wait and see what this is all about and allow LW3DG and DPont to sort it out without any of us judging any side. Ok? Cool! :)

gar26lw
02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
what a joke... dpot was the saving grace for LW for years. How the LWG could botch this relationship is beyond me... talk about dysfunctional leadership.

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

jeric_synergy
02-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Well, at least they're consistent. :devil:

They don't tell NOBODY shít.
:confused: :foreheads :thumbsdow

Matt
03-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Antti has been working on something, all I can say

gar26lw
03-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Antti has been working one something, all I can say

going back to the pre 2018 release way? please don’t.

Morgan Nilsson
03-03-2018, 05:51 AM
going back to the pre 2018 release way? please don’t.

Pre 2018, we wouldn't hear a squeek, don't you dare make the devs second guess saying anything at all.

gar26lw
03-03-2018, 05:59 AM
Pre 2018, we wouldn't hear a squeek, don't you dare make the devs second guess saying anything at all.

whatever. there’s a lw blog right? we had awesome youtube vids and explanations right at the time of 2018. it would just be great to hear and read about their endeavors. i thought that was the new approach with the departing of rob and a fresh start.

Morgan Nilsson
03-03-2018, 06:07 AM
whatever. there’s a lw blog right? we had awesome youtube vids and explanations right at the time of 2018. it would just be great to hear and read about their endeavors. i thought that was the new approach with the departing of rob and a fresh start.

That was the official outlet yes, but devs speaking freely on the forums never happened.

ianr
03-03-2018, 07:31 AM
If Chuck says he's on it..... he's on it

it's a complex thing making CGI apps, sounds like

a oversight that Chuck will track down...(wait & see)

Julez4001
05-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Status update, Chuck???

djlithium
05-25-2018, 03:51 AM
Sounds like some recently departed staff dropped the ball there and it's festerd into this. It wouldn't be the first, but the important thing here is that there are a lot of moving parts and to bring it up is better than for t to disappear. So bring it up. It's never too late, but you never be to early either.
Miscommunication are a huge problem in any organization, big or small. That's why transparency and community member involvement in the process is so important. Transparency as much can be afforded, understanding that this is a commercial, close source product that competes in a very aggressive (hostile af) space that's encountering industry wide shifts with greater intensity and more frequency each time. Community involvement so as to provide stability, guidance, support, off the wall ideas, as well as energy need to ride those waves rather than drown.

djlithium
05-25-2018, 03:54 AM
And can someone please fix the forums? Any time i post here I get ghosted text as I type in something.

JohnMarchant
05-25-2018, 04:02 AM
I hope Chuck will have some good news for us later.

lardbros
05-25-2018, 05:21 AM
I personally think it's a miscommunication, and as Kat says, possibly someone dropped the ball... hopefully Chuck and the others can pick it up and smooth out any communication problems.

raymondtrace
05-25-2018, 07:15 AM
And can someone please fix the forums? Any time i post here I get ghosted text as I type in something.

This may be due to a CSS file that didn't update locally in cache or a browser extension. Try another browser to test.

dnch
05-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Soo.. What date can we expect? Some time in 2020?

adk
05-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Yeah... any news on the edge shader would be much appreciated. Antti / Matt / Chuck ?
In arch-viz it's one of my most widely used shaders as you can do so much more with it in various places and contexts.

fallenartist
06-05-2018, 12:40 PM
An absolute must, such shader!

JoelS
06-13-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm very interested in this, too. I was really disappointed when I upgraded and found that the DPKit node doesn't work in 2018. LW, please offer some solution!

erikals
08-07-2018, 02:05 AM
wonder why this was so delayed...

Tobian
08-07-2018, 04:58 AM
It's not delayed. Newtek never did a 'shader pack' - this will be part of a major release, as with all new features, so there'll either be a 2018.5 or similar, or the next iteration.

gar26lw
08-07-2018, 09:08 AM
we have to pay again for an edge shader, which imho is a basic requirement.just sayin

erikals
08-07-2018, 10:09 AM
It's not delayed. Newtek never did a 'shader pack' - this will be part of a major release, as with all new features,
so there'll either be a 2018.5 or similar, or the next iteration.
does that make sense? as NewTek got it from DPont and it was supposed to be integrated in 2016?

gar26lw
08-07-2018, 11:11 AM
does that make sense? as NewTek got it from DPont and it was supposed to be integrated in 2016?

and maybe free?

Tobian
08-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Chuck told you all ages ago that he had no idea what Denis was talking about. Newtek does not have a magical copy if dpkit sitting in a drawer somewhere... No one who *currently* works for them has seen it... Do you really need me to draw you a map?

erikals
08-07-2018, 06:11 PM
they do have a copy of Edges that they received from DPont.

Do you really need me to draw you a map?

please do, quite curious to what this map looks like.

No one who *currently* works for them has seen it...
hey, great, you provide info that no one in this thread shared, however at least that could explain a delay.
unless you referred to Kat guessing something one page back. That's hardly "the truth".
but if you have inside info, cool.

anyway, i'm not that upset about it. if it came across that way, i apologize.

dpont
08-08-2018, 12:26 AM
It is a question of an official demand of the LWTeam/Newtek,
several functional copies of RmanNodeCollect, DP Instance,purged versions of DPKit and DPFilter
were joined to my reports (Sunsky also, but not achieved)
but in a great confusion about what they expected exactly.

About plugins, being in a complicated situation since more than one year,
without Workstation for testing or developing,
I can't solve things myself.

Yes, Mr Chuck Baker was not there at this period,
but I sent to him some proof about what I say, a few months ago.

But Newtek is still not responsive,
personaly I have not to speculate publicly about this issue,
but I don't understand how eminent persons, working for this company,
can imagine that I could trust them, without clarification.

Denis.

TheLexx
08-08-2018, 02:14 AM
Something seems lost in translation when NT were in communication lockdown. No one seems ill-willed about it. Hopefully will be resolved. :)

OnlineRender
08-08-2018, 05:48 AM
several functional copies of RmanNodeCollect, DP Instance,purged versions of DPKit and DPFilter

Denis.

I can't comment on NT "that's their domain" however I can maybe help out, you know since I am facebook God! ..see snide youtube remarks!

Denis what do you mean by you don't have a workstation? ...

Do you need a LW 2018 Licence and a new rig ?

I have a some lads here with some pretty "old" but power systems going to waste, if it means personally travelling to France and hand delivering the thing not a problem, if it's a more personal issue email me [email protected] and I will try to help you out.

don't think of this as a charity case, my Job at LightWiki is to help it's users.

if you need help just ask!

my concern here is that there has been some form of communication breakdown along the lines,from both parties by the looks of it, I can't fix that however what I can guarantee is that I will put the spotlight on it.

I already know this thread is gaining traction because we are talking about it in the discord group and these users are more than willing help you out, we value your plugins and contribution, so how can we fix it ?

gar26lw
08-08-2018, 07:15 AM
@OnlineRender - pure class

safarifx
08-08-2018, 11:04 AM
yes! pure class!

Mr. Scott is just world class.
there is nothing to add.

dsoell
08-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Style and class!!!

dpont
08-08-2018, 12:34 PM
I can't accept that "...communication breakdown from both parties..."
this is absolutly wrong, they broke it without a word,
should I repeat this project was their initiative, not mine.

And you know what, may be this was intentional!?
Just a lie for laughing and on a left killing a modest third party (ha ha)

I did the job early, when it was possible.
My actual situation is just a secondary context,
no complain on this subject, I don't think
the LW Community have to pay for something here.

Denis.

prometheus
08-08-2018, 01:27 PM
I can't accept that "...communication breakdown from both parties..."
this is absolutly wrong, they broke it without a word,
should I repeat this project was their initiative, not mine.

I did the job early, when it was possible.
My actual situation is just a secondary context,
no complain on this subject, I don't think
the LW Community have to pay for something here.

Denis.

I need your Rman gardner clouds, weather and all the others, in node versions.
And Bryphy need your part move stuff and a lot of other stuff.
And the rest of the community needs all the other stuff.

Newtek needs to offer you something to help out.

raymondtrace
08-08-2018, 01:39 PM
...And you know what, may be this was intentional!?...

There does indeed appear to be some monkey business going on with 2018's release.

NewTek has never been this bad at promoting a new release and the third parties that accompany it. Does anyone else find it completely bizarre that there is only 1 new third party 2018 plugin listed in the plugin database?... https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

What about Metamorphic (jhwerks.com) and Colorida Motion FX (deepfxworld.com)?

These have been submitted to the database but NewTek never promoted them to the index. They could never be searched.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/metamorphic/
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/metamorphic-1/

The optimist hopes that NewTek is only suppressing these tools to release as 2018.5 or 2019.

erikals
08-08-2018, 02:56 PM
raymondtrace, i'm pretty sure they are not there because they will be part of 2018.5 or 2019
(this is how NewTek operated in earlier years) so wouldn't worry too much. (though yes, guessing here)

other 2018 plugins are available / searchable

i doubt it, it was probably pushed back because of NewTek's part-rewrite 2018, which took forever and was hard work.
hopefully Chuck will pick up the bone and the code will be implemented in not too long.

https://i.imgur.com/LKS0eqL.png

dpont
08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Unfortunatly, the intentionality can't be rejected yet,
I'm not present on chat, social network or Skype,
but a few users reported to me bad rumours,
saying I'm, I wasn't welcome...

...still a loud silence from Newtek...

I was probably stupid to talk to the LWteam
moderatly about my competences,
and much more about some limitations,
because someone just didn't want to see my face.

Denis.

Chuck
08-08-2018, 03:48 PM

Denis.

Hi, Denis!

Apologies if we've seemed unresponsive. I'd had Ben send along another question and about that time came down sick and was out of the office a few months, just back for a couple weeks now. Did try to keep up from home but there were some things I didn't get advanced during that time, this being one of them. Thank you very much for the materials you provided in your quick response to our inquiries, and I'll get back on the stick with this.

My apologies to the community as well, and I expect to be able to catch up with this as well as other projects now that I am back in the pocket.

erikals
08-08-2018, 04:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nhZ5W0Z.png

gar26lw
08-09-2018, 04:27 AM
saying I'm, I wasn't welcome...

...still a loud silence from Newtek...

I was probably stupid to talk to the LWteam
moderatly about my competences,
and much more about some limitations,
because someone just didn't want to see my face.

Denis.

are they mad ? sure seems like it from that.

does not compute..

erikals
08-09-2018, 04:35 AM
some solution must be possible

gar26lw
08-27-2018, 09:02 PM
I wonder if anything ever did happen with this and if NT did sort things out with Dpont?

Personally, I'd rather the LW community engaged Dpont directly via paypal and he and his nodes are totally independent.

erikals
08-28-2018, 12:59 AM
NT should integrate the plugins, one way or another.

and i'm confident they will.  (p.s. let's not bump this thread again, too early)

pixelinfected
11-05-2018, 04:53 PM
we are at november, i discover today this thread and i'm quite curious to see where we are going to go...

we wait for years a new lw, i bought 1 genuary 2018 the new license, like ever from lw3.0 amiga and lightrave
many new kind features, but a lots of orphans about plugins, and today i discover that could be not all lost...

exploring this forum i see that in the last years most of lw group is gone, i not know why, i don't want to know why,

after 11 months lw render engine is a russian roulette, sometimes you change a value and you see higher render times, keep back value, and render time not come back to original, and many more, that as usual i sended bug report and features request.

like user form 1991 i invest a bit of money on this software, a lots of time, i formed tons of lightwavers in italy and in europe in general, but today...

i would like to know a road map for the future, the silence is bad attitude, i not ask date of release, but a roadmap... for
- all modeler tools rewritten and cutted (too much duplicated tools with small difference)
- all modeler tools loadable and usable from layout (at today they share the same mesh engine, or not)
- denoiser ai like every other modern render engine, or if you not, do a partnership with Vlad of Neatvideo plugin, it's excellent to clean up noise, is more evoluted than actual lw denoiser, and i use it from 15 years, and work excellent of 3d noise
- think to sell render engine like plugin for other software or like stand alone like octane render, a simple interface that load fbx, collada etc, select mesh, apply materials, lighting, setup and render out. IT's JUST ALL PRESENT IN LW, you only need to grab off tools from lw, selling lw license today is harder than selling a render engine with a new cool name at 499$ with x node rendering license. i understand that no money no dev of lightwave, this could be a way.
please give us a road map, also if is from today to 2030, but just to know that you know where you will would go...
the last 10 years give not good impression, and every day come out proof of bad situation.
please

Chrusion
11-07-2018, 11:23 AM
My apologies to the community as well, and I expect to be able to catch up with this as well as other projects now that I am back in the pocket.August, September, October, November = 4 months since you posted. STILL waiting for that catch up to happen that you apologized for. Surely there is something to report by now... even if it's something like, "We want to reassure you that the cause of the issue has been found and corrected and that the code IS being worked on, but can't provide any ETA." Again, the issue of lack of communication rears its head right here. I know you hear that, but then continue to let long lapses of time go buy, leaving us with LOS (loss of signal).

erikals
11-07-2018, 01:04 PM
please give us a road map
in a previous note, coders said Modeler is up next after Layout
that's the current public roadmap.

August, September, October, November = 4 months since you posted
not impossible those tools will be part of LightWave 2019, if true, you might not hear any news until late 2019/2020

jwiede
11-07-2018, 07:04 PM
not impossible those tools will be part of LightWave 2019, if true, you might not hear any news until late 2019/2020

Not impossible, but still worth pointing out there'd been no further communication on the issue since the mention prior.

RPSchmidt
11-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Not impossible, but still worth pointing out there'd been no further communication on the issue since the mention prior.

There was also a blackout on Metamorphic for a good amount of time until we were finally informed that it was being incorporated into LW.

Perhaps it is a similar, but more sticky situation?

prometheus
11-08-2018, 09:01 AM
There was also a blackout on Metamorphic for a good amount of time until we were finally informed that it was being incorporated into LW.

Perhaps it is a similar, but more sticky situation?

Incorporated? I didnīt know that until now, unless itīs a rumour...that sounds exciting, though for me it still need to be unpar or close too the modeling tools of blender for it to be of some real interest in the end.
Hoping for a new release soon, with features and not just bug updates.....though I recognize the importance of that for those who updated, which I didnīt.

erikals
11-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Incorporated?
NT bought it, so assume it would be...

RPSchmidt
11-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Incorporated? I didnīt know that until now, unless itīs a rumour...that sounds exciting, though for me it still need to be unpar or close too the modeling tools of blender for it to be of some real interest in the end.
Hoping for a new release soon, with features and not just bug updates.....though I recognize the importance of that for those who updated, which I didnīt.

Yes, back in September. The thread was closed, but here are two salient posts ref. Metamorphic in LW.

JAY3D
"I'm sorry to hear that, but do know that it's not in my hands to discuss something I signed an NDA not to do it... I think you should know that as everyone else.
But nevertheless I can tell you now:

I thought that doing this step of making this plugin available in LW would make users happy, but then that understandably comes with some legal restrictions of the NDA, until announced by the acquiring party.

There are a bunch of fixes, and fixes in LW itself to make MM better, and that couldn't be done without tight integration into the software itself.

Given that you are trying to file for a dispute via PayPal cuz I couldn't respond because of the NDA is a little unfair. A press release of the acquisition was supposed to happen months ago, but then I'm not the boss of NT to follow up on such things.

And you know as everyone, how devoted I was to fix and add features to the plugin during the time I owned the rights to it, even beyond what was designed for."

And then:

CHUCK
"Yes, there has been an acquisition. There has not been an announcement because beyond the items already resolved and executed, there are other matters still in negotiation, and as is commonly the case those are not talked about before they hatch. Additionally, we prefer to make such announcements at or very close to the time of the affected product release (yes, we wrote the press release some time ago. No, it isn't time to share it yet).

We'll tell you more when we can, and in the meantime, NewTek confirms that the intention is that when Metamorphic appears in a future edition of LightWave, we will try to have any reported issues addressed, plus improvements made in both the main application and in Metamorphic to enhance the integration. We're looking forward to bringing you Jay's excellent work as a great addition to LightWave 3D's included toolset."

I think most of us assumed by "appears in future edition of Lightwave" and "integration" that Metamorphic was going to be incorporated into future releases of LW.

pixelinfected
11-09-2018, 07:37 AM
i hope until the end of years, about communication, the missing plugin, and A real road map...
@Erikals to me a road map is a complex diagrams where there are point of development, goal of development and rought timeline... not a post where someone somewhere told something... NT must keep a position with user...
"other softwares don't give to users a road map" i could ear :-D yes real, but other software go out every 6 month, one year, not are a open building site from 20 years, from lw6 (since).
i love lw, but use also zbrush, c4d, maya, and... nuff said...

3dworks
11-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Sorry for inconvenience.
Denis.

Thanks Denis to get back here! This doesn't sound good, I wish NT would be more caring about their customers for software compatibility. DP kit was one of those basic plugins which i used in almost every scene. As was DP instancer, Sunsky and a lot of others.

As another example, I reported some months ago to NT that the last polygon reduction plugin "qemloss 3", which conserves UV maps is not working anymore in version 2018, at least on mac side. As everyone knows, LW always included as standard tool 'qemloss 2' - which is working in LW 2018 but rather useless that way. What I got as a reply a few days ago was that they can't do anything because it is a third party tool. I wonder why it is so difficult to take the existing reduction tool and make it UV map compatible for LW 2018... as this is such a basic and important functionality, it should be anyway included, or not?!

But I don't want to hijack the thread, lets see if they can get this included / set up at least for the next upgrade...

Cheers Markus

prometheus
11-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Sunsky working in 2015 ..
Is actually one of the better backdrop sunsky versions if you compare to blenders, or even houdiniīs sky environment.

The problem is that it wasnīt native, ergo..bound to fall out of grace within events in time, such as a new lightwave and people behind it all..Maybe arenīt connecting very well with Dpont it seems.

Chrusion
11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Seeing that it was over 3 years between major LW versions (2015 -> 2018) and that we're only in the "hundredths" decimal place for 2018 updates, it seems reasonable to believe that there won't be a LW 2019 or a LW 2020. Maybe we'll get into the "tenths" range for 2018 upgrades, as we have for all the last several versions. So, here's hoping 2018.1 or .3 or .5 will have the tool, interface, and plugin changes/additions we've been speculating on, since there is no road map, and never will be.

dpont
11-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Sunsky working in 2015 ..
Is actually one of the better backdrop sunsky versions if you compare to blenders, or even houdiniīs sky environment.

The problem is that it wasnīt native, ergo..bound to fall out of grace within events in time, such as a new lightwave and people behind it all..Maybe arenīt connecting very well with Dpont it seems.

I have Sunsky 2018 here but very basic, at least with rough lights not optimised for volumetric, no atmospheric effect,
Also RmanNodeCollect, a light version of DPKit, same for DPFilter, DP Instancer (PC versions only).
but as you said connections aren't very well with NT, near zero in fact.
I can add that I have some access to my machine now, but Ben knows that already.

Denis.

pixelinfected
11-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Seeing that it was over 3 years between major LW versions (2015 -> 2018) and that we're only in the "hundredths" decimal place for 2018 updates, it seems reasonable to believe that there won't be a LW 2019 or a LW 2020. Maybe we'll get into the "tenths" range for 2018 upgrades, as we have for all the last several versions. So, here's hoping 2018.1 or .3 or .5 will have the tool, interface, and plugin changes/additions we've been speculating on, since there is no road map, and never will be.

[speculation mode On] from what i read here, and what are written in past on lightwave blogs, seems Lw2016 was 90% of what we have today, all features are presented at that times: new render engine, new mesh engine unified, deformation stack, and so on... then something happened and all is stopped for two years...
[speculation mode OFF]
i dont know what and why and... i think today is not important what, who, why, the important thing is how go over, how to help developing of lw, which have a lots of gems hidden to discover, to revamp the glory of old days of Lw.
As developer i can see that there are many chance to dev more and better for a modern app.
Let's go over and ... Dear Newtek tell us what do you think to do and what we can do for you, even if ask money, but in front of solid arguments.
Many users here are feared from Messiah's effects...

prometheus
11-09-2018, 12:42 PM
I have Sunsky 2018 here but very basic, at least with rough lights not optimised for volumetric, no atmospheric effect,
Also RmanNodeCollect, a light version of DPKit, same for DPFilter, DP Instancer (PC versions only).
I can add that I have some access to my machine now, but Ben knows that already.

Denis.

Good luck Denis, let me know if you want to polish the website, images, banners, icons etc.

As far as 2018 sunsky, I hope they can communicate with you and get something going for the next release.

The best backdrop Ive seen ...if we exclude Vue and terragen which is a different volumetric spectral atmosphere beast and the most realistic ones (at a certain render cost), that is Daz studios iray render ..itīs bloom, spectral look and settings is really nice.
Though I havenīt checked modoīs for a while, nor max vray or maya or cinema4d.

But working with blenders skytexture, or houdinis sky environment geometry, isnīt as nice as the sunsky you got going, with it I got so many options to enhance brightness, change color profiles, etc..which really isnīt there in
blender or in houdini.

jwiede
11-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Really sorry to hear about the lacking communications, Denis.

As important as those plugins are for Lightwave's capabilities, I'm disappointed to hear that.