PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

ilanvfs
02-15-2018, 08:57 PM
As many of you know I am a noob to LW. Apologies for the stupidity of this question. I am trying to perform a boolean subtraction. Main object is in the first layer and the object used for subtraction is referenced in the second layer. I push "boolean subtract" and the entire first layer disappears. i tried watching a bunch of tutorials and they all do what I am doing and it works for them. I am a confused individual at the moment :(

MonroePoteet
02-15-2018, 09:14 PM
It sounds like you have the foreground / background layers reversed. The foreground layer will vanish if it's entirely contained within the geometry to be subtracted. Try using single-quote (') to swap the layers, perform the Boolean Subtract and see if it gives you what you want. There's always CTRL-z (undo)!

mTp

BeeVee
02-16-2018, 01:42 AM
Also, try Speed Boolean. There's no need to have foreground and background layers. Have both "bits" in a single layer, select at least one poly on the bit you want to action (the bit you want to subtract in this case) and hit the button.

B

ilanvfs
02-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Also, try Speed Boolean. There's no need to have foreground and background layers. Have both "bits" in a single layer, select at least one poly on the bit you want to action (the bit you want to subtract in this case) and hit the button.

B

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how to explain this but i restarted LW and it started working fine :|

I want to buy the 3rd powers plugins so bad :O

rustythe1
02-16-2018, 11:09 AM
it might have been that you were pressing speedboolean rather than the standard, with no geometry selected it would all disappear, for speed Boolean you need selected geometry in foreground, for normal Boolean you need background

jwiede
02-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't know how to explain this but i restarted LW and it started working fine :|

I want to buy the 3rd powers plugins so bad :O

Yeah, the boolean workflow with Metamesh is much more dynamic/interactive, I highly recommend it.