PDA

View Full Version : LighWave Users Group Videos featuring Deuce Bennett

wingzeta
02-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Hadn't seen anyone post these on here. Pardon me if I missed it somehow. These are recordings of the LightWave User Group's Twitch steam meeting. A presentation on 2018 by LW's own Duece Bennett.
A lot of good info on 2018, and a few questions answered on LW development. Questions, that people have been asking for a while. Also some snoring from an open mic.:sleeping::tsktsk: I wasn't bored.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDiainyPHys

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VikkVr5jkK8

Glad to see the depth buffer for 2018 explained, as I would have wasted a lot of time figuring that out.

gar26lw
02-14-2018, 05:17 PM
coincidentally, I was watching last night. Yeah, Steven (sp?) really needs to turn off the mic, its in the other vids too. You can hear typing and other background noise.

jwiede
02-14-2018, 07:35 PM
coincidentally, I was watching last night. Yeah, Steven (sp?) really needs to turn off the mic, its in the other vids too. You can hear typing and other background noise.

Oh is that what it was? They need to edit those videos, and get rid of the spurious audio (if possible). Ideally, it'd be great if they could also put titles/headers for the different topics/sections in the videos.

As it is now, it's a bit difficult to find different topics, f.e. if you want to review a given section.

wingzeta
02-15-2018, 02:54 PM
I would be nice if the videos could be edited down after the live stream, to cut out any idle time, but that would require someone's time and effort. I just watch them at higher then normal speed, to get through a bit quicker. I've watched other "live streams" after the fact, where you could see the chat, which helped, even if it was no longer live and open to participation.

For those who havn't watched them yet, in no particular order, he covers a few techniques with the new volumetric lights, instancing workflow, the modifier stack, UDIMs, using the render buffers, getting the depth buffer to work the way you would expect, best practice for using alpha channels in the node editor, what you have to do to make sure your Surface Displacement is actually on if you use displacement in the surface editor as opposed to displacement in the object properties, and a bit about spline patch modeling that could be quite useful.

I think he is trying to hit a bunch of the counter intuitive gotchas that a lot of users get stuck on. The more videos like this, the better.

gar26lw
02-15-2018, 03:38 PM
he also mentions that lwg are aware of gpu rendering being a thing with users and are looking at it. hopefully hybrid gpu/cpu one day.