PDA

View Full Version : Global Ambient Occlusion

Snosrap
02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Is there a way to have global ambient occlusion in a scene. Right now the best I have done is to create a custom AO buffer and apply the occlusion node to each surface. Kind of a pain! There must be an easier solution.

Sensei
02-14-2018, 02:04 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155808-LightWave-2018-0-1-Global-Ambient-Occlusion-Full-HD-video

Snosrap
02-14-2018, 02:15 PM
I was thinking about more of a native solution. :)

It looks like your way would be another separate render and not part of the render pass system anyway. :)

Sensei
02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
I was thinking about more of a native solution. :)

Would I waste time making the video, if there would be native solution.. ?

It looks like your way would be another separate render and not part of the render pass system anyway. :)

If you're copying and pasting surfaces to the all other surfaces, like now, you're losing any surface data anyway..

gar26lw
02-14-2018, 03:02 PM
lack of global shading overrides is a huge omission to the new renderer.

mummyman
02-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Only thing I've seen is Sensei's link and OD tools: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/198126630

Snosrap
02-14-2018, 09:01 PM

If you're copying and pasting surfaces to the all other surfaces, like now, you're losing any surface data anyway..

Not the way I've been doing it. You just need to remember to add your AO node as soon as you start your surfacing work. :) Otherwise there could be a lot of drudgery. Looks like Oliver has solved the issue. Now NT needs to step up.

jwiede
02-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Not the way I've been doing it. You just need to remember to add your AO node as soon as you start your surfacing work. :) Otherwise there could be a lot of drudgery. Looks like Oliver has solved the issue. Now NT needs to step up.

Requiring users to "do something to every x" (aka "O(n) action") nigh-always turns into a pain point, because it's inherently a scalability issue. The more iterations required, the greater likelihood of error (f.e. missing or misconnecting), and there's no easy way to tell which are broken other than potentially onerous manual inspection.

LW devs need to add support for the notion of a "global override surface", or just license and integrate TrueArts' Global Materials, or something along those lines, ASAP.

gar26lw
02-14-2018, 11:00 PM
i would get shadermiester copy working in 2018.
it was perfect

jwiede
02-15-2018, 12:37 AM

It doesn't really matter how they achieve it, but providing some mechanism for global override material, and global attachment to AOVs is necessary. I do agree if they can get 80% of the way there licensing an existing body of code (even given the 80/20 rule), they should do so. There are too many areas of LW in desperate need of improvement for them to waste effort re-inventing functionality already available elsewhere for LW.

mummyman
02-15-2018, 07:17 AM
it was perfect

Agreed!