PDA

View Full Version : BUG(?): Volumetric lights' "Intensity Falloff" setting must be "Inv distance^2"

jwiede
02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
At least on Mac (can't check on Windows atm), setting a light as "affects volumetrics" with "Intensity Falloff" set to "Off" doesn't produce volumetric effects. Volumetric effects only appear to be produced when light's "Intensity Falloff" is set to "Inv distance^2". I've already filed as a bug, behavior is 100% reproducible here (2018.0.1 Mac64 on OSX 10.13.3).

Can anyone else please confirm this behavior?

Steday
02-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Yes I confirm. Don't know it is a bug.

Ma3rk
02-12-2018, 07:33 AM
I don't have 2018 yet but suspect that that is by design. That's how real light behaves falloff wise.

jwiede
02-12-2018, 02:41 PM
I don't have 2018 yet but suspect that that is by design. That's how real light behaves falloff wise.

Then the "Off" option shouldn't be enabled if "Affect Volumetric" is checked (or vice versa). It's a UI bug or an engine bug, but the current behavior is definitely a bug.

Pragmatically, there's no reason falloff is required in marching the volumetric light effect, and there are plenty of cases where falloff would be undesirable in volumetric lighting for VFX (various ray/beam use cases). Take that away too, and it just further limits (rather significantly) the utility of volumetric lights for VFX in LW2018.