PDA

View Full Version : No per-light volumetric medium coloring/texturing/etc. anymore?!

jwiede
02-11-2018, 02:39 PM
I hope I'm missing something, but as the volumetric scattering/medium controls for volumetric lights are now scene-wide, that would seem to indicate we no longer have the ability to assign per-light volumetric medium coloring/texturing/etc.

Is that correct?

If so, why was that considered a good thing? Such a design deeply limits the flexibility of volumetric lights in a scene.

prometheus
02-11-2018, 06:16 PM
I hope I'm missing something, but as the volumetric scattering/medium controls for volumetric lights are now scene-wide, that would seem to indicate we no longer have the ability to assign per-light volumetric medium coloring/texturing/etc.

Is that correct?

If so, why was that considered a good thing? Such a design deeply limits the flexibility of volumetric lights in a scene.

You can, check volumetric light content thrusters, add a new spotlight and see the difference, each light has itīs own life with nodes, so you edit them in the node network.
Though I think they are harder to setup than previous texturing methods, which now requires more node work, and not any sprite version is possible due to itīs life within a full volumetric model.

This new approach is better for more global stuff, rays behind clouds, fog, streetlights in fog...rays behind trees etc, while other effects like special laser effects, and gas clouds seem to have been taken a beating.

jwiede
02-11-2018, 11:12 PM
You can, check volumetric light content thrusters, add a new spotlight and see the difference, each light has itīs own life with nodes, so you edit them in the node network.

Sorry, that's not accurate, the Thrusters examples are just varying the volumetric light coloring by applying 3D textures. That's different from varying the actual medium coloration/texturing on a per-light basis (which I just reverified, and is global/scene-wide not per-light).

OFF
02-11-2018, 11:54 PM

You can set different color to each light and get colored volumetric lighting.

Sensei
02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Did you try to use Edit Nodes... ? It has three color inputs.. One for Volumetric Color...

prometheus
02-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Did you try to use Edit Nodes... ? It has three color inputs.. One for Volumetric Color...

I donīt think that is what he needs, rather the volumetric density control per light, which I donīt believe can be controlled within the light property and nodes where you set that volumetric color, not sure here though.
You could perhaps set different " scattering density" from the volumetric scattering node editor, if you add the light info node and do some trickery there with nodes..but I havenīt tried it really.
Otherwise..I understand what jwiede says here.

But foremost I lack the option of using volumetric lights in a sprite mode I can do similar setup, but it is bound to be Volumetric without sprite mode..ergo much slower to render, and apart from that, not as smooth nebula stuff either in quality.

Sensei
02-12-2018, 11:57 AM
The first info that I get from this thread was "per-light volumetric medium coloring"...
(whatever is color of surface, it's multiplied by light color, so white medium and yellow light = yellow medium render, for instance)

After playing with it a bit, for a couple minutes, I sent two bug reports/feature requests, already.. ;)

prometheus
02-12-2018, 12:20 PM
The first info that I get from this thread was "per-light volumetric medium coloring"...
(whatever is color of surface, it's multiplied by light color, so white medium and yellow light = yellow medium render, for instance)

After playing with it a bit, for a couple minutes, I sent two bug reports/feature requests, already.. ;)

Yeah, that fooled me too:D
Ah..good, we really need, or maybe I, jwiede and some unknown number of folks need the old stuff or something new to replace those sprite lights, they were so fast and so easy to acess with the textured buton and simple standard layering of textures, so you can switch on or of various texture or blend them or control strenght and texture cut off with a previous layer gradient, and almost instant feedback in vpr...would be very slow and much harder with the new system
to do what I used to do.

sure image backdrops for nebula stuff may be the way to go in many cases, but having thise feature was quite nice for re-tweakable backdrop nebs that is resolution independent, and you can clone the lights and move around till yours satisfied.
I also liked the redshift settings, with some special values and some balanced color values in the actual light, I could get a nice gradien color tone in many various ways, based on a redshift, where we now have to manually set a gradient, itīs also just to much fuzz to enter the light nodes of 208 and set up texturing in nodes, compared to the old way, but I see this kind of workflow approach going in the wrong direction in other places..for me, same with the new volumetrics....I do not like that kind of workflow, itīs more work to get it done fast, and sort of defies what used to be the uniqum of Lightwave.

sprite volumetrics in 2015Renders superfast, both in VPR and final renderer, blue neb only volumetric lights in 2015 and in sprite mode, the main texture is distorted by another texture set in displacement mode.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=140078&d=1518462948