PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 is incompatible with Default Folder

3dworks
02-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Just be careful, the popular Default Folder utility will make modeler and layout behave erratically and even crash when not deactivated for LW, while selecting a file. This was no issue in LW2015! Hopefully NT can fix this in the next release, I've sent a bug report...

jwiede
02-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Just be careful, the popular Default Folder utility will make modeler and layout behave erratically and even crash when not deactivated for LW, while selecting a file. This was no issue in LW2015! Hopefully NT can fix this in the next release, I've sent a bug report...

Yeah, excluding it appears to have fixed the annoying self-closing dialogs (but ofc, also means no Default Folder benefits, which is a PITA).

3dworks
03-22-2018, 02:34 AM
i would say this was not fixed in LW2018.0.2.
anyone else on macs finding it out?

EDIT i can see it's "in progress" in the bug report, so maybe we can expect a fix in the next update, hopefully...

3dworks
04-04-2018, 03:37 AM
opening files with default folder is now working with 2018.0.3 for me - although this has not been marked as 'fixed' in bug tracker. anyone else can confirm?

3dworks
06-25-2018, 04:20 AM
opening files with default folder is now working with 2018.0.3 for me - although this has not been marked as 'fixed' in bug tracker. anyone else can confirm?

with 2018.0.4 it is again / still broken. very annoying. can anyone on mac confirm?

jwiede
06-25-2018, 08:04 PM
with 2018.0.4 it is again / still broken. very annoying. can anyone on mac confirm?

Confirmed. Using Default Folder 5.2.5(483) with Layout 2018.0.4 (Mac), file dialogs auto-close the second the DefaultFolder UI appears. Really a shame, as DF really helps mitigate the LW content dir / recent files / kin dir handling problems normally.

jwiede
07-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I'm really hoping they fix this for good in 2018.0.5 (with no more regressions). Not having DefaultFolder benefits in LW is a royal PITA.

gerry_g
07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
even without default folders installed this occasionally happens for me with the native finder requester so I would think the problem is deeper than default folders

jwiede
07-02-2018, 08:11 PM
even without default folders installed this occasionally happens for me with the native finder requester so I would think the problem is deeper than default folders

Having DF installed, LW file dialogs close immediately after the DF UI manifests around them, so at the least, DF appears to be a 100% reliable trigger for _an_ issue. Inadequate info to say whether what you saw was the same issue, but it's quite feasible.

gerry_g
07-03-2018, 03:19 AM
yes just as you are describing, requester opens, go to select something, immediately closes, less common now than in first iteration of 2018 but once in a wile it still does happen

3dworks
08-25-2018, 03:18 AM
i've contacted jon from st clair software and he got back to me very proptly confirming that it's NT's side problem. he also reported the case CST-564692 in their database. but if you ask him, he will send you a special version which has a sort of hotfix - but you will get some delay when selecting files. better than nothing for now!

3dworks
09-13-2018, 11:38 AM
there's an official beta version now with the LW bug workaround on DF side:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/beta.html

Added a workaround for a bug in Newtek LightWave so that Default Folder X will work with it.

cheers

markus

jwiede
09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Yep, seems to be working again as before, though I haven't tested it extensively by any means. Markus, what's your experience with the fix?

jwiede
10-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Okay, I'm still seeing problems where having DefaultFolder active in LW2018.0.6 Layout causes app crashes when plugins attempt to put up a open/save file dialog. Wondering if the devs fixed the obvious in-app cases, but forgot some common paths used by third-party plugins, or similar.

ConjureBunny
10-19-2018, 04:59 PM
QuickView (space bar) forces the file requester to exit in Layout and Modeler. Not sure if it's related to the DF issue, but I have a suspicion it is.

-Chilton

3dworks
10-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Okay, I'm still seeing problems where having DefaultFolder active in LW2018.0.6 Layout causes app crashes when plugins attempt to put up a open/save file dialog. Wondering if the devs fixed the obvious in-app cases, but forgot some common paths used by third-party plugins, or similar.

i'm also still having issues from time to time, but NT devs defined the case as closed as soon as default folder devs made the 'fix'. but maybe there's still hope NT will cure the pain with the next release if you can reopen the case.

jwiede
10-20-2018, 02:20 PM
i'm also still having issues from time to time, but NT devs defined the case as closed as soon as default folder devs made the 'fix'. but maybe there's still hope NT will cure the pain with the next release if you can reopen the case.

Hope springs infernal. I'll see what I can do.

jwiede
11-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Hope springs infernal. I'll see what I can do.

Okay, I can't reopen the bug, because I didn't originally open it (IIRC, mine got noted as a duplicate), and I can't find my duplicate of the actual issue anywhere in my list to reopen.

Can anyone else find the issue marked closed or duplicate in their list to reopen?

I'm definitely still seeing issues with DF. I'm also seeing indications the problem is no longer on the St Clair Software side of things, but instead LW capturing/processing keyboard input when it shouldn't. I've seen similar in the "default" non-DF-present case, and I believe what Chilton is describing is essentially the same issue -- LW is capturing/processing input when that input should instead be going to file selection dialog-related operation instead of LW.