PDA

View Full Version : is there any way to open a .max file in lightwave?

stylus10
02-11-2018, 09:04 AM
is there? perhaps a third party translator of some such. i have zbrush, but that won't do it. hummm. thanks for your ideas.

fishhead
02-11-2018, 09:25 AM
you will have to have 3dsMax installed on the same system on which you have the translator, any translator for that matter - thatīs because only max itself is able to interprete its own proprietary scene format. All translators use Max as an "interface/host" for their conversion.
I used Deep Exploration v5 quite often in the past (by RightHemisphere back in the days) and had some success with Polytrans [No idea if it is still around though...)

If it is about a whole scene or parts of it: would FBX export not work for you? Or Alembic? When it comes to single objects, OBJ export could be the way to go...
Or you could try OD_CopyPasteExternal, I believe it has basic 3dsMax support: https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/

In case you are hoping to get shading and materials across - aside from texture maps - you will have not very much luck I am afraid... :-\

roboman
02-11-2018, 09:28 AM
A max file is basically a set of instructions on how to build the scene in max, so you need max to do that. To build a translator you would mostly need a copy of max as part of the translator. You are kind of stuck getting some one with max to translate it for you....

stylus10
02-11-2018, 09:45 AM
thanks for the bad news guys. i do appreciate it. i cannot afford max just now so i suppose i am outta luck. thanks again for the detailed information.

gar26lw
02-11-2018, 04:35 PM
if the file isn't under NDA and is in max 2013 or earlier format, feel free to post and I could convert it for you.

dropbox might be a good idea?

lertola2
02-11-2018, 07:35 PM
thanks for the bad news guys. i do appreciate it. i cannot afford max just now so i suppose i am outta luck. thanks again for the detailed information.

If your computer is a PC and you haven't downloaded it before you can get a free trial for MAX. You can also rent it for just a month. We have done that several times when we needed access to MAX files.

ccclarke
02-12-2018, 07:31 PM
PolyTrans is indeed still around: https://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

Great program with wonderful support.

CCC

Danner
02-13-2018, 01:35 AM
Polytrans still needs max to be installed to convert max files.