PDA

View Full Version : Tilt- shift lens

Snosrap
02-10-2018, 11:08 PM
With the advanced camera is there a way to make a tilt/shift lens configuration? Does the Shift camera do everything a one could accomplish by making one using the Advanced Camera?

Thanks

gar26lw
02-11-2018, 12:33 AM
i thought there was a dpont camera that did that? not work in 2018?

lertola2
02-11-2018, 06:40 AM
I don't know if you can replicate a shift camera with the advanced camera. I was testing the shift camera a few days ago and it seems like the tilting and shifting properties are working properly. But I want to mention that the Focal Plane options at the bottom of the tilt shift properties window don't seem to be working. I reported this as a bug: https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-3307/

Snosrap
02-11-2018, 12:47 PM
i thought there was a dpont camera that did that? not work in 2018?
dpont has a cushion camera and radial shift camera, but not tilt/shift. They kind of work in 2018. :)

I don't know if you can replicate a shift camera with the advanced camera. I was testing the shift camera a few days ago and it seems like the tilting and shifting properties are working properly. But I want to mention that the Focal Plane options at the bottom of the tilt shift properties window don't seem to be working. I reported this as a bug: https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-3307/

I can confirm your bug.

rsfd
02-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Assuming that you are looking for special DOF effects… (as tilting is used to control the focal plane/DOF via Scheimpflug's principle with large format / view cameras or Tilt-Shift lenses like the PC-E lenses from Nikon, the TS-E for Canon or the PC-TS from Schneider-Kreuznach).

Advanced Camera gives me: "The camera type does not support Depth of Field rendering."
Other than that, I think it would be possible to replicate a Shift Camera by setting up a Null as some sort of "taget" for the camera rays (Ray Start at Camera through Null's XY).
But Shift Camera seems much more convenient to accomplish this goal.

For me, the Shift Camera only "shifts" (horizontally and/or vertically).
One can set a "Focus Item" (i.e. a plane), but -similarly to lertola2's experiences- it seems to me, that I haven't been able to set this up as it's probably meant to be (LW-Help isn't very helpful at this point).
(Also, the visibility checkmark for the Focal Plane Item seems to have no effect).

Focus for DOF seems only to respect the distance that is set in Camera Properties>DOF.
For me, the OpenGL representation of that distance (the blue ring around the camera) is also quite disturbing, as -especially for a Shift Camera- it should be a plane which is parallel to the camera's image plane.
From a photographic view, that would be a correct representation and also would make it much easier to set the focal distance correctly.

My conclusion so far would be that "Tilt" will not be available in LW (or any other 3D-application).
(Radial Shift and Cushion Camera from DPont don't simulate lens tilt, they simulate lens distortions).

Snosrap
02-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Thanks rsfd. I'm not so much interested in the focus aspect of what these lenses provide as I will do that in post, but I am interested in the foreshortening of the angles etc. that they provide. Essentially I need to camera match some existing photography that has used this type of lens. I spent an hour or so this afternoon experimenting with the shift camera and i think I've got some really good matches. I'm just not sure they'll be good enough in the art directors' eyes. :)

rsfd
02-12-2018, 04:14 AM
… I am interested in the foreshortening of the angles …
Ah, I see.
But this effect, which i.e. exaggerates a wide angle lens effect, is usually done with the film plane. What matters is the angle of the film plane to the object's plane. The LW Shift Camera seems able to replicate these effects.
(Lens tilt is used to control the focal plane. This effect unfortunately isn't available in any 3D application. At least to my knowledge).

…i think I've got some really good matches. I'm just not sure they'll be good enough in the art directors' eyes. :)
All the best for that one! :)