PDA

View Full Version : Ubercam 3 (Gripe thread, comment thread, general discussion)

ConjureBunny
02-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Now that the first patch for LW2018 has been released, I'm updating Ubercam 3.

Please respond to this thread with any bugs you've encountered, issues with the product, feature requests, or general comments, so I can keep them all bunched together.

Also so I can let people know when bugs mentioned here get fixed.

Thank you!
-Chilton Webb

jwiede
02-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Is Ubercam 3 available only for LW2018, or also for other versions?

Also, I see no mention of Ubercam 3 at L3D (yet, anyway), are upgrades available, etc?

omichon
02-11-2018, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Chilton. Glad to see a fix is coming :)
My last project needed one of Ubercam camera (Radial Shift) but while it was working with LW2018 (which was cool indeed, since it wasn't that obvious), it was a bit tedious since it crashes LW every time Layout was closed or a scene was loaded).

Markc
02-11-2018, 04:25 AM
Ubercam 2.6 in LW2018.0.1 mac
A lot more cameras work (works when selected, not tried renders)

Instant crashes with:
12up
4up
Spherical
Perspective
Overscan
No Dof / No MB
Dual
Dpi

It's not a biggie, but will the LW live rift view ever come to fruition on the mac (I know it must be a pain in the butt to resolve, so understand if not).

fishhead
02-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Hi Chilton, now as you ask:
Feature Request for L3DSphericalCamera: Support for omnidirectional Stereo - not lat long like in the ImmersiveCamera, rather equidistant. As described in this thread: http://www.fulldome.org/forum/topics/stereoscopic-domemaster-images edit: (added additional link) There is a lot of stuff for the DomeMaster Stereo Shader to be found on github: https://github.com/zicher3d-org/domemaster-stereo-shader
Note: turn and separation maps slots are a nice-to-have, but rarely really needed these days... (You might have seen this coming ;-] )

ConjureBunny
02-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Is Ubercam 3 available only for LW2018, or also for other versions?

Also, I see no mention of Ubercam 3 at L3D (yet, anyway), are upgrades available, etc?

I'm not making an official announcement until all of the fixes are in. It will be for earlier versions of LW though, back to 2015 at least.

-Chilton

Every4thPixel
02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Feature request: omnidirectional cubical camera. I’ve been using a camera like this with vray and Maya and it’s awesome because of the better resolution distribution. It outputs a strip of 12 images like the gearvr imageformat .

ConjureBunny
02-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Feature request: omnidirectional cubical camera. I’ve been using a camera like this with vray and Maya and it’s awesome because of the better resolution distribution. It outputs a strip of 12 images like the gearvr imageformat .

That concept is so... primitive.

Ah ha, math joke.

I will see what I can do :D

-Chilton

Markc
04-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Hey Chilton, hows the update coming for Ubercam 3........:D

Ma3rk
04-02-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm not making an official announcement until all of the fixes are in. It will be for earlier versions of LW though, back to 2015 at least.

-Chilton

Just wanted to add that all cameras in Version 2.6.0 work in LW 2015.3. With LW 2018.3, I get consistant crashes with all of the multiple cams (12Up, 4Up, Dual), as well as the Overscan. Not a major issue as I rarely use those but wanted to mention it here.

The Liberty 3D site won't let me log on nor create an account so can't mention on the Forum there. Think I had message exchanges with Kat some time ago about this.

fishhead
01-12-2019, 05:50 AM
I surely believe you need almost all available energy for Glycon now, Chilton. Congrats on the product by the way!!! Brilliant and fun !!! :-)

But I was wondering how the current status on UberCam is?
Id love to use it with 2018(.0.7 on Windows) but there still seem to be a good number of issues that make it a very mixed experience... See above...

Also would love to be able to use the UberRift plugin with 2018 and my shiny new Oculus but it seems not to be liking my license:
Error: "Could not create data object for UberRift plug-in: valid license not found" in 2015.3 on Win7 it seems to be working but also not in 2015.3 on Win10, though...

I am on the v2.6.0 build of March 31 2017 in case there is a patch I overlooked I would be quite grateful if someone could put me in the right direction :-]

Edit: Well, wait - I just incidentally jumped to the original post: seems THERE IS a patch already (well for quite long it seems :-\ ) Where would I get that?!?

Ma3rk
01-12-2019, 07:55 AM
You had me hoping but no, the 2.6 version released in 2017 is the last listed.

I've stopped using Ubercam altogether until it's fixed. Tracked down part of what was going on with it, 100% repeatable crashing, and reported that to Newtek Tech Support as I though it might be an issue with Lightwave, & was told to report it instead to Liberty3D.

I sent a note to Katt directly & never heard back. Don't know if he didn't get it or it just dissipated into the ether. Perhaps reviving this thread will get some attention.

Here's a quick demo anyone can quickly do to trigger the crash:

Fire up Layout & simply save your default scene with new name.

Clone the default camera, move it, rename, etc. & simply hit the default 's' key to save the scene. So far so good.

Change one of the cams to one of the L3D ones such as the Perspective. Move it, etc. & 's' to save the scene. Again, no problem.

Now for the demo. Clone the L3D camera, move it, do whatever else you'd normally do in the scene.

Now hit 's' to save.

Adding a cam & changing it to a L3D doesn't cause the problem, only cloning. However there are a couple (Overscan for one) that crash Layout as soon as I select them, so there are many other issues.

fishhead
01-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Yep, its a bit sad... I used to use it almost on a daily basis in the past... :-\

Markc
01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Funny, I was only thinking about this today.
Would love to see this updated,

ConjureBunny
01-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone,

My apologies for not catching up on this thread earlier. Please feel free to contact me, any time, at chiltonwebb at gmail dot com.

Ubercam 3 will see the light of day, and I'm hoping that's very soon. It's been a MUCH harder road to plow than I expected. I have a ton of crashes in the product that only crash in 2018. Rather than point fingers (squarely at NewTek) I'm just going to assume it's possible I did not understand the SDK properly. Hey, it could happen. They'll return in a new version, just not the 3.0 release.

So at this point, my plan is to put a number of the lesser-used cameras on the back burner until I can figure out why they're crashing. All of the VR cameras and newer cameras will absolutely be in there, with a few new tricks.

I'm also not going to say what the new features are just yet, but I'll be referring back to this thread periodically to make sure everything has been addressed.

Feel free to throw fruit, I'm slow and not hard to miss. :)

-Chilton

ps, I'll post a real update on the product and timeline tomorrow. Sunday. So, check back then for more details.

fishhead
01-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Great to see you around here again, Chilton! Not all is lost, it seems! Ubercam is still alive. Yay!!! :-)

ConjureBunny
01-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's definitely still alive. Everything except the VR cameras predates my work, and was written for an earlier version of the LightWave SDK. I updated all of them for the latest SDK, but I don't know it like the back of my hand. The VR stuff, I know.

So I think Ubercam 3 might just be the VR cameras and a few new tricks, then I'll start fleshing out the cameras again as it proceeds.

Now, I DO have some cool new tricks for VR stuff, but I'm going to keep quiet on what those features are until right before it ships. The hills have eyes, dontchaknow.

-Chilton

Ma3rk
01-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Very good to hear CB. Also good to know that squeeky wheels still draw attention. ;)

Chuck
01-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Ubercam 3 will see the light of day, and I'm hoping that's very soon. It's been a MUCH harder road to plow than I expected. I have a ton of crashes in the product that only crash in 2018. Rather than point fingers (squarely at NewTek) I'm just going to assume it's possible I did not understand the SDK properly. Hey, it could happen. They'll return in a new version, just not the 3.0 release.

Feel free to use the heck out of the feedback agent on any crashes, and throw any questions you have in there when you do, or via the support form. If you didn't understand it we need to explain it better, but possibly you understood the SDK just fine and if so, we may have stuff we need to fix. :)

fishhead
02-03-2019, 06:29 AM
Is there any news, Chilton? I can imagine the release of 2019 might have stirred up a thing or two, but I am still veeerrrrry interested in seeing UberCam rise and shine again :-)
Would be so darn cool to combine lightwaves viewport to my still new and shiny HMD... ;-}

ConjureBunny
02-06-2019, 01:22 AM
It's in active development now :)

fishhead
02-06-2019, 04:37 AM
yay!!!! :-) Thank you for the heads up!

fuzzytop
06-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Almost 4 months since this last "yay"... Perhaps we'll just have to write off the all the Multi-Cam cameras in Ubercam, as well as Overscan, … I haven't tested the VR Cameras (don't have an Oculus, just a Vive) so I can't verify if they work...

Sad to see this once great plugin founder ...

Free4Ever
06-04-2019, 12:32 AM
While waiting, try the free Twinmotion with your VR headset. Maybe limited to archvis, but it is free until 2019 Nov and used to be 2000+ $. More here:
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?159947-Twinmotion-Free-till-November

fuzzytop
06-04-2019, 10:53 PM
While waiting I think I'll write a novel … or bake a cake … or roll back to LW 2015 for some projects …

OTOH, I downloaded Twinmotion a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had time to experiment with it yet ...

Free4Ever
06-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Instead of baking a cake, try the new VR camera introduced in LW2018. Supposed to include a 4K 3D preset that should be sharp in your Vive HMD: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Camera+Types#CameraTypes-VRCamera