PDA

View Full Version : pivot point help

AlphaBeta
12-24-2003, 01:30 AM
hey I was having a problem with my character. One of my bones seem to have the y-axis(green handle) lying on the x-axis instead. Whenever i try to make the bone affect my mesh, it gets all messed up.

my question is...how do i rotate the pivot point (in layout) so that the green arrow is on the y-axis like it's supposed to be?

gjjackson
12-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Do you want to change the coordinate system, World - Local - Parent. You might be wanting to use the World coordinates, depending on the position of the object.

Axis3d
12-24-2003, 10:24 AM
If your bone system was made in Modeler, you need to re-orient the bones in Modeler using the Edit Bones function.

toby
12-24-2003, 06:20 PM
If you animate with World coordinates you can get some very wacky results.

If you want to change the pivot rotation in Layout, hit 'r' immediatly afterwards to re-rest the bone.

Sometimes it will work until you clear the scene and re-load it, so always try re-loading the scene before you consider it done - bones can be very tricky so save new copies of the scene often.

AlphaBeta
12-24-2003, 09:01 PM
k i'll try that out...thanks for the help. yeah bones can be really annoying sometimes...ugh...

AlphaBeta
12-24-2003, 09:05 PM
wow that worked! thanks for the help its REALLY appreciated!!!....
i didnt realize that pressing 'r' could solve the problem :P....but yeah thanks, I can now continue animating :D

AlphaBeta
12-24-2003, 10:38 PM
hmmmm.....now ive got that fixed, but i have a new problem...Everything works fine when i move the bones and all and the IK is good, but when i move the frame slider or do something else (such as hit render), the bones get all whcked out. The moment i move one of the bones everything pops back into place and works fine, but when i hit render, it seems to render the figure in the messed up position... Does anyone know how to stop the bones from moving everywhere? I've enclosed a picture to show you what is happening....if you have any ideas or suggestions it would be great!

toby
12-25-2003, 02:40 AM
ya got me - tell us more about your set-up

gjjackson
12-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Do you have the child bones set up and parented correctly. I would check the hierarchy in the scene editor.

AlphaBeta
12-25-2003, 10:47 AM
yeah everything is parented just fine....the bones work perfectly until i press render button or move the slider than they get all messed up like in the pic, but the thing is once i try to move on of the bones, everything pops back into place and is fine.