PDA

View Full Version : Replace object in modeler LW v. 11.6

jaxtone
02-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Wow, never needed this before or might have forgotten!

How do I replace and object with another in Lightwave Modeler 11.6?

Shloime
02-09-2018, 01:07 AM
Good question...
My way would be to delete the old object, load the new object, copy it and paste it in place of the old one. If you also want to have it on the same position and stuff, then I'm out.

Danner
02-09-2018, 01:36 AM
Two ways I can think of. If you have your scene and modeler open at the same time and the hub active, while in Modeler save your object with a different name, replace the layer for the one you want, save again, go back to layout and it should be updated, save the scene with a different name and you are done.

Another way, in case you don't use the hub for some reason, is to edit the scene in a text editor, just open it in notepad and search-replace the object name.

Just re-read the original question and realized you mean in modeler. Hmm... yeah copy paste really..

jaxtone
02-09-2018, 02:17 AM
Thanks Shloime and Danner!

Didnīt know that modeler had those disabilities... in my opinion a totally pre-historic agenda!

Skywatcher_NT
02-09-2018, 02:47 AM
Just out of curiosity. Why would you want to do this ?

jaxtone
02-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Why? Because I need to replace a series of bolts and nuts with new and better ones.

Just out of curiosity. Why would you want to do this ?

Ztreem
02-09-2018, 03:57 AM
You should be able to do it with place mesh if you can find a common surface to use between the objects. It's not completely automated, but as close you can get in modeler. If you want it automated you need to populate the model in layout so you later can replace objects.

I did a quick recording of the process. (animated gif)

1. First select the common surface for placing the new objects.
2. Copy it to a new layer. F
3. For easy selecting later rename the surfaces to new name.
4. Flip normals if needed, I did.
5. Select you new object in background and activate 'place mesh'.
6. Open numeric panel and use populate. Done!

jaxtone
02-10-2018, 12:16 AM
Ztreem!

I donīt know if I ever be just as creative in technical solutions as when playing my guitar.

But I must admit that you and the other guys that are more into the technical solutions here at the forum really impress me!

Donīt know how you came up with this way to solve the problem but wonder one thing only.

How come Newtek hasnīt made a menu solution in the root of their 3D-suite yet, they would definitely have earned on listening to you guys earlier.

I donīt know how they solved it 2018 but guess they have made some changes to keep the Lightwavers out there from changing to more updated 3D-software suites!

Thanks, gonna try this when my shamefully blushing cheeks have gone back to normal color, somewhere between a zombie and an idiot :)

Jack

You should be able to do it with place mesh if you can find a common surface to use between the objects. It's not completely automated, but as close you can get in modeler. If you want it automated you need to populate the model in layout so you later can replace objects.

gar26lw
02-10-2018, 01:32 AM

wow, i always expected little love in modeller and didn't know this tool existed, replying on 3rd party for ALL modeler tools. Nice to see something like this is in there.