PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 FBX Import problems

sami
02-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Anyone else getting problems or hanging in Layout or Modeler when loading imported FBX models?

I'm trying to load an FBX (exported w default settings from Revit 2018) into Layout or Modeler and both hang and freeze with nothing happening for minutes. The model is only ~390K polys. This was no problem on LW 11.6.3 on a much less powerful machine with less ram and far worse gpu.

I thought 2018 was supposed to perform better?? Or is this a bug? Just purchased and downloaded so it's the latest bit without the fiberglass hotfix. Anyone else experiencing FBX trouble?

Sensei
02-08-2018, 12:32 AM
If it hangs with LW 2018.0.1
you will have to send file to NewTek to check it.
Otherwise they won't fix it.

And at the moment, load it in older LW, write .LWO and .LWS,
and load them instead of FBX.

What does Task Manager show? CPU is still working while it hangs.. ?

sami
02-08-2018, 05:23 AM
Yes it hangs for 10+ minutes then I give up. CPU for the process is 15-20% it's an i7 7700.

raymondtrace
02-08-2018, 06:33 AM
I've had an FBX file fail in 2015 but work in 2018. There are plenty of variables involved. Try sending the troubled file as an attachment to a bug report.

gar26lw
02-08-2018, 07:37 AM
please make use of that feedback agent!

jwiede
02-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Please verify which version of FBX Revit used to save the FBX file? It's quite feasible that it's using a more recent version than what LW2018 understands. I don't recall off the top of head what FBX version is "last known good" for LW2018, perhaps try saving from Revit as FBX2015? Alternately, the Autodesk FBX tools are capable of converting FBX files to an earlier format as well -- make sure you have the latest release of them from Autodesk.

sami
02-08-2018, 11:23 PM
I've had an FBX file fail in 2015 but work in 2018. There are plenty of variables involved. Try sending the troubled file as an attachment to a bug report.

unfortunately I can't. Client has the file under NDA

Please verify which version of FBX Revit used to save the FBX file? It's quite feasible that it's using a more recent version than what LW2018 understands. I don't recall off the top of head what FBX version is "last known good" for LW2018, perhaps try saving from Revit as FBX2015? Alternately, the Autodesk FBX tools are capable of converting FBX files to an earlier format as well -- make sure you have the latest release of them from Autodesk.

thanks. Maybe this is it. It was Revit 2018. I'll play around with its other params and formats. My concern came from the fact LW 11.6.3 never had fbx problems for me - either in or out. I skipped 2015 so dont know about that version

vipvip242
02-09-2018, 08:38 AM
i sent a bug to lw team because FBX 2018.0 was very buggy with the FBX i currently use (coming mixamo & webanimate animations) : they have checked it and with these format, i've no more problems with lw 2018.01 (even when importing poser 11 fbx exports, in unity4 format)

prometheus
02-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Surely there must a way for you to create something in revit or get a scenefile..that is not under NDA, that demonstrates hanging issues In lightwave, and just send that

rustythe1
02-09-2018, 09:30 AM

thanks. Maybe this is it. It was Revit 2018. I'll play around with its other params and formats. My concern came from the fact LW 11.6.3 never had fbx problems for me - either in or out. I skipped 2015 so dont know about that version

They have an NDA button on the bug system

raymondtrace
02-09-2018, 01:21 PM
They have an NDA button on the bug system

Is that fully documented somewhere? I see the check box but there is no explanation of what this means in the online documentation.

This could be a recipe for disaster.

The "privatize content (NDA)" option likely only removes identifying information from some part of the submission. However, NDA's typically don't mean "you can share this if you don't tell anybody who you are". I would not share a confidential object file in the feedback agent, even with that NDA checkbox.