PDA

View Full Version : Window positions reset constantly in MacOS 10.12 and 10.13

Iaian7
02-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Every time I open Lightwave 3D Modeller or Layout (2015.3), all of my windows have reset to the primary monitor, regardless of what display I set them up on previously.

This happens in both MacOS 10.12.6 and 10.13.3, and on two completely different systems. Matched 24" Dell monitors connected to a 2013 Mac Pro, and a 2015 27" 5k iMac connected to a 2011 27" 2.5k iMac in target display mode.

I've noticed this affect a few apps, not just Lightwave (such as Slack), but others are fine and behave as expected, restoring correct window locations (Apple Calendar, Firefox). I've tried disabling "Close windows when quitting an app" (System Preferences > General) and "Group windows by application" (System Preferences > Mission Control) to no avail. I cannot work with "Displays have separate Spaces" (System Preferences > Mission Control) so that's already unchecked.

Any idea what's causing this, and what the solution is? It's rather infuriating having to recreate my entire window layout every single time I open Modeler or Layout!

Thanks. :)

Scazzino
02-08-2018, 11:18 AM
I came across that recently in LW 2015.3 on my 15" MacBook Pro running El Capitan. Maybe it's a bug in a specific GUI library that some programs use? Rebooting fixed it in my case.

Markc
02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Just checked and my LW2015.3 opens exactly as when I closed it, with scene/surfaces panels on second screen.......:confused:

Scazzino
02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Normally everything is fine, with windows staying put while working and reopening in position on relaunches (Other than the long-standing texture editor window position issue).

I ran into an issue last week where all windows would snap back to their original position even when working if I closed/reopened the windows or even if I resized them. Quitting/relaunching didn't help. Deleting configs didn't help. The only thing that fixed it was rebooting the Mac. It hasn't happened again since then and I only encountered it once on that particular Mac.

Iaian7
02-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Wow, interesting! Are both of you working with dual-display setups?

Rebooting hasn't ever fixed this for me, it's been 100% consistent since I installed Sierra/High Sierra (I'm still running both at this point, depending on the computer).

3dworks
02-08-2018, 03:28 PM
i'm using LW2015.3 here on a dual monitor setup as well under OSX 10.12.6 and do not have this issue. i am using an nvidia 980ti card with nvidia web driver.

Scazzino
02-08-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm using a dual monitor on my desktop Mac Pro running El Capitan and have never had the problem. My MacBook Pro is a single monitor also running El Capitan and that's the one that I had the windows snapping back to their start positions if they were opened/closed or resized in LW2015.3. Rebooting the MacBook Pro fixed that issue and I have not seen it since.

Iaian7
02-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the input! Looks like it must be something I've caused myself, and consistently across all computers I use...hrm...

Iaian7
02-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Well, I just went through a fair number of utilities, disabling or uninstalling anything that could possible be related to window position. And then a few others just in case. No change. Even enabled "Displays have separate Spaces" as a last resort, and that's how I discovered it...

Assigning an app in MacOS to a single space no longer works with multiple monitors. I've used spaces ever since it they were introduced to organise my apps into groups across all monitors simultaneously. I typically put browser, mail, Photoshop, and other editors in space 1. Modeller in space 2. Layout in space 3. After Effects and Premiere in space 4. All other apps are then opened in spaces as needed. Each space gets a keyboard shortcut, and therefore I can instantly jump to whatever I need access to (all with reduced window clutter per-space).

Well, now when (only some) apps are assigned to a specific space...MacOS relocates all windows to a single monitor. No matter what. It affects Lightwave. It affects Slack. It affects Chrome. It affects Firefox. It doesn't affect Apple Calendar however, nor does it affect Adobe apps.

So if anyone else is having issues with MacOS resetting all of your windows to a single monitor every time you open an app, check if the app is assigned to a specific Space (right click the icon in the dock and check the Options menu). Setting it to "none" might just fix it.

Of course, it doesn't fix what Apple did to Spaces, and it means I can no longer automate my organisational patterns...so...that's not cool...

Scazzino
02-08-2018, 09:58 PM
I use spaces but don't assign specific spaces to apps, though I do usually open them in certain spaces. I'm still running El Capitan though so if it's a spaces change in the newer OS then I wouldn't notice it here yet.

Sensei
02-09-2018, 12:26 AM
Any idea what's causing this, and what the solution is? It's rather infuriating having to recreate my entire window layout every single time I open Modeler or Layout!

Make duplicate of config files..
When you will lose some config data, you will have to copy from backup, and done.

3dworks
02-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Maybe LW can't write back configs or preferences because of a write permissions problem? Did you try to repair all permissions on your HD?

Iaian7
02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
I'd already tried removing all window positions from the config files, and I repaired disk permissions just to make sure that wasn't the cause either. Neither one had any impact on this issue.

As I stated above, the issue is with assigning an application to a specific Space - for some apps (especially troublesome for Lightwave, given the large collection of windows), this MacOS setting will reset all windows to a single monitor when the app opens. Clearly a bug, in my opinion, but not sure if it's purely MacOS being terrible (which increasingly is the case), or Lightwave (along with many other apps!) interacting with the OS windowing system in a way that's "slightly odd" and causes issues.