PDA

View Full Version : BESM, transparency and raytraced shadows

ALEPH1
03-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Okay, I am having a big problem with BESM and transparencies in conjunction with ray traced shadows. I set up a thread on thhe general list and didn't get much help. Due to the fact that my main LW setup is on a Mac (with a second one on a PC), I thought I'd post here as well.

Rather than wasting the space here is a link to the other thread. Test files are available for download there and any confirmation of this problem on the mac would be great.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=931

Any help is welcome, and thanks in advance!

mlinde
03-07-2003, 03:02 PM
My system freezes up when attempting to render your raytrace.lws scene as-is:
QS 2x800
1.15 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 2MX
Lightwave 7.5b

F-9 freezes Layout, requires force-quit

Update:
If you remove BESM from the object receiving the shadow, the file renders again.

The shadowmap version was fine as-is: 3.2 seconds to render.

ALEPH1
03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Okay, I have tried to get a hold of NewTek's tech support twice with no luck! Nobody seems to want to get back to me about this problem and it is more than a little bit frustrating. I have also tried to contact people from celshaded.com, again with no luck.

So, another call for help. Can some other people test out the files to see if anyone can get them to render successfully on a Mac. If anyone could also suggest a way to get a response from tech support or knows how to contact anyone from celshaded.com I would be ever so grateful.

The piece I am working on has a looming deadline and final rendering needs to begin in the next week or two.

Thanks again.

paintboy
03-11-2003, 03:49 PM
ALEPH,
i have not used BESM but...i have hung around here long enough to remember a thread on the old forums about a bug with BESM and Raytraced reflections, that basicly resulted in a lock up.
heres a link to the old mac forum

http://forums.newtek.com

its there somewhere...
good luck

paintboy
03-11-2003, 04:15 PM
OK.... sorry it was BRDF i was remembering.
was gonna test/try your files but but could not access, trys to download as a .PHP

mlinde
03-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Change the extension from .php to .zip and it will work.

paintboy
03-12-2003, 01:49 PM
thanks mike, i will give it a go...

paintboy
03-12-2003, 02:03 PM
ALEPH1
tried your files....(thanks to Mlinde) its not just you , locked up/force quit to get out on the raytrace scene,shadow map is fine?
obviously something is wrong with the mac version since the pc guys could get it to play?(imagine that???)might wanna report this to newtek since they are in the process of straightening out some messes anyway(sigh):confused: