PDA

View Full Version : Depth buffer issue

Mats Andersen
02-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Hi..
This has to be an easy one as it is such a much used feature. My depth buffer is not working. showing full white plus some buggy artifacts. palying with the near and far distance leads nowhere. All other buffers seems to work normally...
a true pain as I need for creating DOF effect in post for a bunch of shots that I am making...

Any suggestions please?

Mats

Mats Andersen
02-05-2018, 02:43 PM
..Actually as I am moving very close to geometry I can see it is rendering with what seems to be about 0-1metre range.. not possible to change it though. So the moment I step backwards a little it all goes white..

M

paulhart
02-05-2018, 03:32 PM
On a separate thread, someone kindly offered a response that I found useful. Open your scene and set one of the windows to Camera/VPR to get a RealTime display of what your camera is seeing. Once you have your VPR window (Camera View), select the display for Depth from your Buffers choice. Then go up to the TopRight hand corner and Open the VPR Properties window, and put a check mark in the box Normalize Display. Now, go to your Render Properties Window>Buffers, highlight the Depth slot, which I think needs a Check in the Render box to work? and at the bottom of the window will be Depth Options, which can be set to Near and Far. Slide these back and forth to find the range of getting the foremost object edge Black and the distant reference you want to include to be White. The good part about this is that it Updates in RealTime on screen, so you can see the effect of your changes. Finally, go back and UnCheck the option of Normalize Display in your VPR Properties if you need to, as leaving it checked really gives bizarre results in some of the on screen displays of Color information. Your mileage may vary, play with it and see.

BeeVee
02-06-2018, 02:26 AM
Also, although the depth buffer might appear white, it really isn't. If you look at the image in the Image Viewer and pass your mouse over the picture, you should see changing values in the titlebar. If you want to make those values more evident, as paulhart notes, change the distances in Render Properties > Buffers > Depth > Depth Options where the default is 0 - 1 Mm. The depth buffer doesn't need to be human readable, but will be understood by compositing applications.

B

Mats Andersen
02-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Hi! coool. the normalize check worked. Dont understand why, but now its all fine thanks:-)

Mats