PDA

View Full Version : Still cant get lw2018 out of discovery mode...

shrox
02-04-2018, 09:55 PM
I posted almost a month ago in PC support, never got a responce from Newtek.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155601-Cant-get-LW2018-to-accept-trial-license

Can I get some "official" help with this?

fishhead
02-05-2018, 04:37 AM
Hmm, when you tried everything else: maybe doublecheck (again maybe...) that you actually have the correct license?!? I mean comparing the actual text of the new license key that you can download from your account with the one to be found in your hard drives license folder in notepad? Just to make sure that not by accident an older key got copied?!?

MichaelT
02-05-2018, 05:55 AM
(assuming you have windows.. if you have Mac then you need to find the equivalent location there)

Your license file is saved here: c:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\2018.0.1\licenses\LICENSE.LWK (the space in the path is created by the post here in the forum.. there isn't one there normally)

You can open this file and read its content. If that doesn't match your key (that you can download from your account) then just copy your downloaded key there, overwriting the bad key.
If it does match... then you may have a corrupted key.. and I would ask for a proper key from support that works. If they say the key is valid.. then your system is preventing access to the file for some reason.
I would check if there are any reading permissions etc.. that are messed up in that case.

It is a bit of trial and error though if things are that messy. But LW can't really do much about rights in your system in that case.

vncnt
02-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Have you tried to send an oldfashioned email to Support?

raymondtrace
02-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Create a new user account on your computer, log in as the new user, and see if the license works with that.

Is this a trial license or a paid license that is causing trouble?

AnimeJoex
02-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Have you tried this?
http://www.liberty3d.com/2017/12/8995/

clintonman
07-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Thanks, that Liberty3d video did it for me.

shrox
07-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Ok, I'll try it again.

Chuck
07-23-2018, 09:50 AM
First step for official support is always:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/tech_support/

Greenlaw
07-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Just wondering: Do you have a LW dongle plugged into the computer? I recall that I couldn't have the dongle plugged in and have a 'dongle-free' license active for LightWave at the same time, and had to unplug the dongle to use the 'dongle-free' LightWave. This was way back when the 'dongle-free' license was introduced and I was still also using earlier 'dongle-required' versions of LightWave. Maybe this is still an issue?

jwiede
07-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Just wondering: Do you have a LW dongle plugged into the computer? I recall that I couldn't have the dongle plugged in and have a 'dongle-free' license active for LightWave at the same time, and had to unplug the dongle to use the 'dongle-free' LightWave. This was way back when the 'dongle-free' license was introduced and I was still also using earlier 'dongle-required' versions of LightWave. Maybe this is still an issue?

If you have a dongle plugged in, and your dongle product lock ID is NOT the same as your 'dongle-free' product lock ID, that will definitely cause a problem. LW prioritizes (or did, anyway) the ID read from the dongle over the ID read from the license, and so if your 'dongle-free' product lock ID is the "correct" one, LW won't see it -- LW will only see the dongle product lock ID, and then fail licensing check as a result.

Shrox, do you have a dongle plugged in, and do you know if your 'dongle-free' product lock ID matches your dongle's product lock ID? Not talking about the key value, talking about the product lock ID value (what shows in lower-left, bottom line of Layout's About dialog as "Product Lock").

DonJMyers
07-24-2018, 01:32 PM
When LW really screws up for me (envelope editor missing whole sections etc) I delete my config files. If they are corrupted they can mess up a lot. Delete them and LW will make new ones. The config files are located in your windows data dir under .newtek - This is esp. important if you are a beta tester as they get out of sync easily.

Greenlaw
07-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I know it's supposed to work. I just thought to mention it because in my case, my license key and dongle had the same hardware ID but they still didn't work together (licensed plugins worked fine though). At the time, I was freelancing at a studio and, while helping them switch over to LW 2015, we ran into the same issue there too--we had to unplug the dongles when we needed to run 2015, and plug it back in to switch back to earlier versions of LightWave. It was a nuisance but no biggie really.

I might be mistaken but I seem to recall there was a difference between a dongle and dongle-free license, and you had to request which type you wanted. If you chose dongle version, then you HAD to use the dongle; but if you chose the dongle-free license, I guess it was incompatible with the dongle? Nowadays, I don't think they give you that option.*

I haven't bothered to use the dongle for 3 or 4 years now so not sure this is still the case.

*I'm not completely sure about this so if anybody has better info, please correct.

Kryslin
07-25-2018, 07:56 AM
My workstation and my laptop have the same product lock IDs.

Workstation has a dongle (from the v 9.3 days), laptop does not.