PDA

View Full Version : Goody Rays, and Clouds ...Again.

prometheus
02-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Geez what a boring weather we got here in sthlm now, dark..cold, and that is what we have to endure for a couple of months ahead, so after work today..dog tired but managed to fire up Lighwave 2018 again, and decided to fiddle a bit with the volumetrics.

three lights, one distant light, and another distant light set to have a large angle, so it sort of simulates a dome light..this is faster than environment light, and it is less noisy..so much easier to use and tweak within VPR than the environment light in this case, this is needed to bring some amount of detail in the volume cloud, or else it will become pretty flat when a distant light is used as backlit.

The third light for "goody rays":D that is a spherical light, since distant light can not work with the new volumetric scattering, light needs to be at a certain distance behind volumetric items.

Unfortunately, My trial period went to discovery the other day...and as soon as I close Lightwave done, this is all gone.
So itīs just a VPR print screen, and not rendered to full quality either.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139888&d=1517611109

shrox
02-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Like.

prometheus
02-02-2018, 04:28 PM
I think I am getting the hang of how not only each setting work, but how they work together and needs be balanced, asymmetry, scattering scale..emission and light volumetric density, and also mixing with a distant light for the fake GI.

hereīs the same image, a bit post processed with two various examples, originally I used rec 709 color space, so it needs some post correction.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139902&d=1517614108

Axis3d
02-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Wow. Those look amazing.

Ma3rk
02-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Those are pretty decent looking Cumulo clouds I'd say.

JamesCurtis
02-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Any chance of posting the scene?

cagey5
02-03-2018, 01:14 AM
As he only has discovery mode version that wouldn't be possible.

prometheus
02-03-2018, 04:39 AM
As he only has discovery mode version that wouldn't be possible.
Yes..that is correct..
Have to be careful and not put to much work in to something I can not save.

I will probably not making any upgrade decision until end of march.

Meanwhile I want to we how far I can push it...compared to for instance houdini.
So I Am In A PROCESS Of Trying Houdini CLOUDFX Out As Well. ..They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

For rendering speed though...I think Lightwave wins both in interactive mode and final render. .And Lightwave seem to have way more procedural to choose from...And no god rays in houdini i haven't learned yet.

Then houdini has a great open gl
..real time preview which whips the floor with Lightwave. .though it has to be cooked initially for every tweak...so its foremost useful when using moving cam...While Lightwave vpr seems faster as a preview renderer.

Houdinis way of using any mesh as a cloud mesh. .is something I wanted for Lightwave as well.

Houdini vdb export i have now learned
Both for cloud export as well as moving smoke sequences. .though i need to get more quality in that process.

MichaelT
02-03-2018, 06:12 AM
Houdini is pretty poor at modeling however.. so you may need (or probably already are :) ) to use another program for that, and import the models to Houdini.
They said they are going to focus on modeling now.. but there is no telling when they get results with that though.

prometheus
02-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Houdini is pretty poor at modeling however.. so you may need (or probably already are :) ) to use another program for that, and import the models to Houdini.
They said they are going to focus on modeling now.. but there is no telling when they get results with that though.

Iītīs mostly about learning the modeling workflow in houdini, I can use it to make models, but yes...to refrase it a bit, modeling in Lighwave, blender or modo feels more natural and easy, just went in houdini yesterday and mostly used metaballs, whatīs great about that is how you can move the metaballs and have the metainfluence effect how the cloud look depending on just that, you get almost instant feedback on the openGL cloud..yet standing in the metaclouod object and move and copy metaballs around.
For modeling cloud objects, I donīt think it requires as much as modeling a character.
But yes, in fact, I did my first try with my freshly installed latest houdini, and I did that with using blenders metaballs, exported to obj...but I could just as easy use houdini for such complicated modeling task.

I think itīs fun to have the openVDB now...and the option to either make clouds in houdini, send to lightwave, or make a pyrosim and send to lightwave, or use blender to make some fire and smoke, and then send to lightwave.
Blender VDB export is much easier than Houdini, where you need to add the openVDB export node in the right tree output, and do not forget to change default "convert to" volume to open VDB, for animated sims, you need to add a proper seqence extension filename.
I am still investigating how to get best quality though.

image..openGL viewport, And really realtime while orbiting or moving the cam, tweaking the cloudnoise, then it will take longer since it is cooking it to the viewport so to speak..in such case while tweaking, I think VPR in lightwave is a bit better..on the other hand, you can not orbit around and move the camera through the cloud in True realtime openGL in Lightwave, so these systems have their strengths and weaknesses.
Another feature is of course that you can turn a horse in to a cloud if you need to for fantasy stuff ..or extremely special designed clouds in the shape Exactly as you want it...that you can not do within lightwaves limited volumetric primitive that only uses spherical, cubic, cone shapes..and on top of that ..purely textured based volume density.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139907&d=1517664342

Old stuff..horse geometry, to cloudfx.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9lnrRbHPK6I/UvqTbDfC1wI/AAAAAAAACV8/5TvsEWGGdVE/s1152/horse_cloudfx_no%2520noise.jpg

prometheus
02-03-2018, 07:02 AM
AS for VDB export, in houdini...vdb smooth node is probably needed in order to avoid blocky VDB

MichaelT
02-03-2018, 07:15 AM
Not to mention access to openVDB is free in Houdini (even the apprentice version).. that is truly a great gift to the community.

prometheus
02-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Not to mention access to openVDB is free in Houdini (even the apprentice version).. that is truly a great gift to the community.

I really would consider to get houdini indie, if I find myself fancying VDB export so much, as well as fancying it overall in the process of learning it abit more, I have actually held up learning it far too long.

Signal to Noise
02-03-2018, 10:07 AM
?...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139888&d=1517611109

Beautiful!

I enjoy cloud watching on a summer day and looking for imagery. This does not disappoint. I see a skeletal warlord with its pet attack bear. :)

prometheus
02-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Beautiful!

I enjoy cloud watching on a summer day and looking for imagery. This does not disappoint. I see a skeletal warlord with its pet attack bear. :)

Thanks, who doesnīt enjoy a beautiful summer evening, especially when itīs maybe around 1 hour before sunsetting, and with some moisture and haze in the air, thunderstorms might pile up, and we got those huge hammerhead cumulus clouds, and when the sun goes behind the cloud, casting sweet crepuscular rays behind the majestic clouds..and a sun and sky decay that tints the sky with a bix of blue, green and orange at the same time, and with the smell of syrens and lots of other summer stuff, those are the days.

But I wonīt see that again over here until june or juli.