PDA

View Full Version : Updating Lightwave question.

4dartist
02-01-2018, 10:33 AM
I usually installed Lightwave and made a folder named "preferences" in the install folder. That way all my hotkeys and such wouldn't interact with new installs, or old installs. However, with 2018 here and the file version change I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to approach this...

My goals.

I would like to be able to install a new version of lightwave 2018 without having to redo all my menus and hotkeys and plugins. Is that possible? Say from 2018.0.0 to 2018.0.1.

If I let lightwave install preferences in the default location will new builds see those preferences?

Will that cause me issues as Lightwave gets updated and somehow the formatting of the preferences changes thus causing crashes/issues and it's my fault because I didn't delete the preferences? (which defeats the purpose of sharing them globally)

If I'm looking at this wrong please let me know. I wish lightwave had a way to install, bring in preferences from previous version but keep it's new preferences isolated. Then the next version does the same. That way you can always open an older version (if there is a new bug) and it won't be reading newer configs, but it's older ones.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

BeeVee
02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Hey Ben,

The ways the menus are laid out has changed in 2018 (with Load and Save menus rather than just a File menu), but most of the rest of stuff is still in the same place it was. If you have particular tools, why not put them in a dedicated tab and then export the branch to load it into 2018? In any case, start 2018 as default and put your old stuff in a bit at a time to see how it fits, don't just overwrite the new with the old - that way lies missed stuff.

B

4dartist
02-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Do you mean going from 2015 to 2018, because I'm asking about from 2018 to 2018.0.1. Then from 2018.0.1 to 2018.0.2, etc. Do I need to do all the reimporting of plugins, hotkeys, menu branches, etc? I didn't know if there was a safe way to basically keep that stuff intact as I upgrade along the 2018 path.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll be sure do put any custom menu stuff into it's own branch.

Ben