PDA

View Full Version : Request for LW non-commerical licenses or versions.

probiner
02-01-2018, 06:16 AM
I've seen this sort of arrangement to pick up in Houdini and Nuke. That's how I got into Houdini before buying Indie, by using Apprentice.

Personally I would like to continue LightWave to problem solve and have fun while being able to connect with the rest of the community, but I don't have an immediate professional need/reason to buy the new update as it focus mostly on something I rarely work on: rendering.

I'm writing in the forum, since I have no clue who's leading the LW3DG, but I hope this won't get too derailed. Let me know if this is something you would consider.

Cheers

raymondtrace
02-01-2018, 07:11 AM
This could also be entered as a feature request.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
...or...
Email [email protected] with the subject heading: "FEATURE: Description"

probiner
02-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Thanks Raymond. I tried to send it to the email address lw-features(at)newtek.com but it failed. I'll file through login then :)
Cheers

raymondtrace
02-01-2018, 08:41 AM
oh dear...

That email address came from the online docs:
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/For+More+Information+and+Updates#BandFR

Perhaps a bug report should be made for that to the "lw-bugs" email address, if that email address works. :)

Skonk
02-01-2018, 08:42 AM
There are already non-commercial licenses of lightwave available but they're not free and newtek seem quite strict on having people prove they are in education in a related field before they will sell you one.

IMO one of the big reasons Lightwave use has plummeted is due to them being pretty much the only company now who don't offer free educational versions of the software.

I teach at a college where we have 80+ students ever year doing some sort of 3D work and we have long since had to switch over to autodesk products due them being free for students while lightwave still costs.

AdamWysokinski
02-02-2018, 10:02 AM
There are already non-commercial licenses of lightwave available but they're not free and newtek seem quite strict on having people prove they are in education in a related field before they will sell you one.

IMO one of the big reasons Lightwave use has plummeted is due to them being pretty much the only company now who don't offer free educational versions of the software.

I teach at a college where we have 80+ students ever year doing some sort of 3D work and we have long since had to switch over to autodesk products due them being free for students while lightwave still costs.

Houdini educational version is a rent-to-own licence (80 USD + TAX per year, IIRC). Houdini free is limited (max render resolution). Maya is free, but I prefer LW so much :) So, for me NewTek educational offer was a no-brainer - great price for an excellent program. Also, even full licence is priced reasonably.