PDA

View Full Version : No lens flare in VR camera

robdr3d
02-01-2018, 03:14 AM
I don't know if there's a bug with the VR camera or not but I noticed that lens flares are not visible in VR camera mode in Lightwave 2018. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Maybe there's something in the settings that I am not aware of?

Every4thPixel
02-01-2018, 04:58 AM
Having no flare with the vr cam makes sense because it's a post effect. So you need to apply the same deformation to you lens flare and I'm pretty sure this is currently not possible. You could however do it in a compositing program.

mummyman
02-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Also, you can render out the flare effect in 2d, then put it back in your 3d / vr scene keyed out on a plane or black and composite it back over. I have to do this with labels that track objects. It's a lot of extra steps and layers.. but seems to work. Hopefully the flares work too.

robdr3d
02-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Ok thanks, I was hopping for an easier way but I guess that's what I'll have to do. I was just trying to give a a glow to few street lights set up in the scene.

robdr3d
02-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Also, you can render out the flare effect in 2d, then put it back in your 3d / vr scene keyed out on a plane or black and composite it back over. I have to do this with labels that track objects. It's a lot of extra steps and layers.. but seems to work. Hopefully the flares work too.

Actually I think this would be a pretty tough task to set up. The VR camera renders in 360 degrees and the final render is distorted. Having to composite a lens flare on a distorted image would be challenging enough, compositing a 360 degree distorted animation would seem to be almost impossible.

Every4thPixel
02-02-2018, 12:55 AM
In fusion you have a node called LatLongPatcher you can create that distortion you need with that. The fusion Karta tools are also very useful but not free.

mummyman
02-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Actually I think this would be a pretty tough task to set up. The VR camera renders in 360 degrees and the final render is distorted. Having to composite a lens flare on a distorted image would be challenging enough, compositing a 360 degree distorted animation would seem to be almost impossible.

No.. it's easy. You render out the flare on black, say as a 1280x720 or 1000x1000 sequence. Then remap that sequence onto a plane as a texture map. NO VR yet. Then, take that new object with the texture mapped sequence into your VR scene and time it up. Instant VR flare. Should be 'ok' not perfect.. but should work fine I'm guessing. I do it with text / labels all the time.

robdr3d
02-03-2018, 07:30 PM
In fusion you have a node called LatLongPatcher you can create that distortion you need with that. The fusion Karta tools are also very useful but not free.

I was hoping not to spend more money but will consider looking into if left with no other option.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks