PDA

View Full Version : Time to get interaction with UE4

MichaelT
01-31-2018, 04:45 PM
I said this before.. LW needs interaction with UE4. Now here is a real work case today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfqj3CFZyxU

The train is leaving the station. Time to jump on.

gar26lw
02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
there are lots of things lw needs before that

MichaelT
02-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Be that as it may... those are things that can be improved. But lagging behind in an area the industry is beginning to move over to, isn't something you can "wait" for. You need to move into it when it happens.

robertoortiz
02-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Be that as it may... those are things that can be improved. But lagging behind in an area the industry is beginning to move over to, isn't something you can "wait" for. You need to move into it when it happens.

He has a point.

Dillon
02-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Realtime is the next step in CGI

He has a point.

BigHache
02-04-2018, 05:55 PM
This is an interesting workflow to use a realtime engine for a show. I guess it's not really surprising but not something I would have guessed someone would actively been implementing right now. Makes me wonder how they set up scenes and animations.

Danner
02-05-2018, 02:00 AM
I've been rendering with unreal for the last 5 months now. You can set up all your animation and camera movements ouside of Unreal, or create them inside of Unreal, Each aproach has it's advantages and disadvantages. For example, camera movements inside Unreal get messed up if you spin the camera to negative numbers, so if you want to turn your camera -90 it turns 270 in the wrong direction, you can fix this in the graph editor but it makes animating the camera there kind of a hassle. On the other hand you can tweak while looking at the final product and not having to go back and forth between aplications. For episodic televition, it's genius, because what takes longest in Unreal is to get shaders and lighting to behave the way you want, and that is DONE for the next episode. And you can render a whole episode in just about the time it takes for frames to save.

Ztreem
02-05-2018, 04:25 AM
I said this before.. LW needs interaction with UE4. Now here is a real work case today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfqj3CFZyxU

The train is leaving the station. Time to jump on.

FBX is not enough or are you thinking about something else?

MichaelT
02-05-2018, 05:34 AM
I'm thinking of a plugin that communicates with LW 2018. Sure.. someone else can write that. But it would be limited to what LW have exposed. If LWG writes it.. then they can utilize components in LW that isn't exposed normally (whatever that may be) another point with that is having official support.. makes it more of a guarantee that the connection to UE4 will remain, and isn't dependent upon whatever success the plugin creator may or may not have. Example would be setting up scenes.. and generally many of the things you can do in layout. Having LW controlling that in real time, would give access to tools and functionalities not available in UE4. Couple that with making sure models etc.. are up to date as well. That would also mean they need to have a material communicator between LW & UE4. Even if that is only in the shape of textures.. that is still good. Which brings in the topic about support for substance in LW, but I won't rant on that :) But I think you get the general idea.

The point is.. coupling the two could help studios to create shows using tools they already are familiar with, and let LW handle the intricacies between the two platforms instead.

LWG can even take the frame (or selected view) from UE4 and use that in LW.. so there is no need to leave LW at all. And still have access to UE4 from within LW. I truly believe this would help studios immensely when making shows.

EDIT: I made a feature request regarding this as well. So if others think this could be a good idea.. I suggest them doing the same thing.

gar26lw
02-05-2018, 03:38 PM
i would much rather see lwg work on an undo system first! please!