PDA

View Full Version : NDI blocked

fgolman
01-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Hello all,

What should I check on a workstation if it won't see NDI from a TriCaster?

I know that I'm not having problems on other workstations on the very same, simple (unmanaged) network. The TriCaster and the workstation are on the same switch/segment, too, as are all the other workstations which can see the TriCaster via NDI.

Note: I can't "see" the TriCaster in the Windows explorer on the workstation, nor will it see it in Bonjour Browser. BUT, I can manually type in the TriCaster's server name (\\TriCaster-B899F) and I can see the TriCaster's drives, etc. And, yes, local "loopback" of test pattern is OK. So, I know it's a network setting on my workstation, somehow, someway.

I did set the workstation network to private (it was on public) ... but still no joy.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

kanep
01-31-2018, 03:34 PM
You can also try disabling the Windows firewall just in case it is blocking.

In a few rare cases, I've need to reset the IP address on my laptop to get NDI fully working. I think this is happening when I'm jumping between networks (wired or wireless, then other wireless networks). To do this, open a command prompt and type.

ipconfig /release

wait a few seconds, then type

ipconfig /renew

close the window and see if it works after you do that.

fgolman
01-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Nope, still not getting the TriCaster. Not seeing Bonjour or the system directly in Windows Explorer (although, as noted, I can type in it's name and get on it). Not seeing NDI.

Funny thing is, I can see other workstations that DO see the TriCaster.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Here's the deal on the switch, btw. It's an out-of-the-box Cisco SG 300-10 100/1000 Managed Switch. I have verified that all ports are on the same VLAN. Would there be any specific settings that might hinder or help NDI on the switch (EG, jumbo packets)?

Cheers!

Fritz Golman

PIZAZZ
02-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Turn off your firewalls on the PCs and see if the NDI makes it through. Windows 10 and its updates turned all ours back on in a production truck. 3 hours of cussing before something as simple as that was found.

SBowie
02-01-2018, 09:47 AM
I've seen this happen at least once too.

fgolman
02-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Firewall completely shut down (private and public networks, etc).

Still no joy.

Any thoughts on any specific settings for the Cisco managed switch? Currently set to out of the box defaults, which seemed to work just fine on other devices.

Fritz

fgolman
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
OK, so go figure this one out.

After turning off the firewalls, and rebooting, still no luck.

However, on one of the PCs that was visible, I started up the Test Pattern application, just to be sure that I wasn't going crazy.

Now, in the NDI monitor, I can see BOTH the TriCaster and that PC.

But, the crux of it is, the Bonjour Browser doesn't show either of those!

Nevertheless, are there any suggestions/best practices as to how to configure managed switches for best performance?

Thanks!

Fritz Golman

Zane Condren
02-01-2018, 01:56 PM
It's hard to make general statements about switch configuration because each switch vendor does things slightly differently. We have noticed that a feature or setting on one switch may be named something entirely different on a switch from another vendor. I can pass on one tibit which is to enable flow control on ever port that is going to handle NDI traffic.

fgolman
02-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Could I suggest that we pool experiences with the various major vendors and put together a list?

Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, HP, TP-link, etc, etc?

Maybe a column that lists what it does and manufacturer name/model. setting name and the actual setting itself?

Fritz Golman

PIZAZZ
02-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Could I suggest that we pool experiences with the various major vendors and put together a list?

Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, HP, TP-link, etc, etc?

Maybe a column that lists what it does and manufacturer name/model. setting name and the actual setting itself?

Fritz Golman

Unfortunately Fritz it isn't that simple. So many different variables. I will give it a whirl though with my recent experiences.

Manufacturer
Model
Managed/Not
Num of Ports
Backplane speed
POE?
Fiber?
10gbe avail?
General consensus

Cisco
SG 300-10
Some
20 gbps
n/a
2 SFP
no
Good economical switches, painful to admin but solid.

Ubiquiti
Unifi US-24-500w
completely
26Gbps
available
available
not on this model
With the right configuration these are rock steady switches, great for multisite and large networks, all devices managed by cloud services

Ubiquiti
Unifi US-48-500w
completely
70Gbps
all configurable
2 x SFP
2 x SFP+
With the right configuration these are rock steady switches, great for multisite and large networks, all devices managed by cloud services

Ubiquiti
EdgeSwitch 48
yes at device
70Gbps
available
2 x SFP
2 x SFP+
Great switches for smaller single site networks, easy to administer

Netgear
ProSafe (XS708T)
yes at device
160gbps
available
2 x SFP+
10 ports incl SFPs
Great switches for smaller networks, GUI and management is tedious

Belkin
doesn't matter
?
?
?
?
?
?
Do you really want to trust your show to the cheapest choice?

Linksys
doesn't matter
?
?
?
?
?
?
Cisco bought them and the quality bombed. Do you really want to trust your show to these? I would never buy another after finding the firmware intentionally would not allow me to turn off port power saving.

TPLink
various
somewhat
?
?

?
Not particularly suited for high bandwidth mission critical workflows. To each there own of course.

fgolman
02-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Jeff, great start.

I'm also wondering about the specifics in each for any settings that worked well or were something to avoid.

But, this is a great start.

F

PIZAZZ
02-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Jeff, great start.

I'm also wondering about the specifics in each for any settings that worked well or were something to avoid.

But, this is a great start.

F

That is what I was more or less saying though, there are way too many variables to create a list of per device.

I can tell you one thing though, for Dante audio on the Ubiquiti gear, make sure IGMP snooping is turned off. It make a mess of things.

The big problem we are at is we are still at the infancy of all this Video over IP. That means there is no DO this DON't do this list or knowledge base. Depending on the many devices you are possibly using the variables are mindblowing. Better chances winning the lottery. Sometimes getting it all to play nice together feels like you won the lottery actually.