PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight Demo Videos: Part 1

WilliamVaughan
12-23-2003, 05:39 PM
LightWave 8 Demo Videos

Here is the first batch of LightWave 8 Videos for you to sink your teeth into. I started with the most requested features and will continue to create more over the next few weeks. The first four videos will show you some of the new dynamics as well as the new character tools for setting up a rig in a character. Look for more videos in the near future and Happy Holidays from the folks at NewTek!

Right Click and Save Files Below:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/ClothFx_001.avi 32.5 MB

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HardFx_001.avi 62 MB

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/SoftFx_001.avi 42.6 MB

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKB_001.avi 36.8 MB

You will need the Techsmith Codec to view these videos.
Codecs Page:

PC Codec: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec: http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

archiea
12-23-2003, 05:49 PM
yikes, I just get them timing out in the download... must be another bandwidth orgy.....

danilo
12-23-2003, 06:06 PM
only audio here.......
danilo
PS happy holidays...

themaxx
12-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by danilo
only audio here.......
danilo
PS happy holidays...

Originally posted by proton
You will need the Techsmith Codec to view these videos.
Codecs Page:

PC Codec: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec: http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 07:02 PM
That makes me laugh.

Lightwave demo video is
174 MB !!!!!

Karmacop
12-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Proton, just to help you with the dress/skirt thing.

dress - covers both the chest/body as well as the legs.

skirt - just covers legs, much like shorts or pants.

At the moment you seem to see a dress as going below the knees, and a skirt as being above the knees. I use to think the same ;)

archiea
12-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I did too, until I started crossdressing, and now I just dress to impress...

kfiram
12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
More! More! More!

cresshead
12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
cheers proton!

let's hope that in 2004 we see you in a photo or video with someone who's taller than you!...and i'm not meaning pete jackson's "king kong"... but a real human!

have a great xmas!

steve g

archiea
12-23-2003, 07:33 PM
...about crossdressing or more Lw videos?

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
I recompressed video 1 (Cloth fx) in Quicktime format. It's reduced from 32.5 MB to only 5 MB. Less than one sixth of its original size.

I tried to upload it as a ZIP attachment, but the server at Newtek doesn't seem to accept it.

cresshead
12-23-2003, 08:09 PM
beamtracer can you load it up on a mirror site if proton gives the okay..as i'm struggling on "ye olde world steam powered dial up"
here and 60mb will take quite some time to get a hold of with COREL "get me right" incremental downloads over several hours!

i think that possibly proton is using a poor audio codec that bloats the file size....i'll have to wait n see thoughas i'm still trying to get the first video!

...off to bed n let the puter do some work for a change!

[u.k]

steve g:rolleyes:

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Attempt 2 to upload 5MB version of Cloth Fx....

Nah, didn't work. Is there a download limit for uploading files to the forum?

That would be ironic, wouldn't it, considering Newtek has such vast amounts of bandwidth to spare!

ikaruz
12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Beamtracer what codec did you use to recompress the video, how's the quality compared to the original?

I download them all, but they did take a while. Newtek might get server overload at those sizes.

prospector
12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
as i'm struggling on "ye olde world steam powered dial up"

You are SOOO lucky

We just upgraded this town from banging on logs to two paper cups and a string.

Here we describe fast as buying the newest 300 baud modem at the drug store.

Our 56K is short for
56Kicks and you got a byte
56 Kicks and you got a byte

Our celular phones are 2 hands cupped over your mouth and a yell.
Starting from 000, our highest phone number is 732.

We have party lines here tho...
you yell down the street and someone 10 houses down relay it and someone else relays it till you get to who you are calling.

I been knocked off using smoke signals here.

jeromeOlivier
12-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Fantastic!

These videos rock! WooHoo!!! Can't wait to see more. LW8 looks really sweet.

archiea
12-23-2003, 08:30 PM
that explains your name prospector.... you're a real mountain man!! ;)

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ikaruz
Beamtracer what codec did you use to recompress the video, how's the quality compared to the original?

I download them all, but they did take a while. Newtek might get server overload at those sizes.
I reconverted the Cloth Fx video into a Quicktime movie with Sorenson3 vision and Qualcomm audio. I helps to also set up the codec well.

If you look really closely you might notice a marginal amount of compression artifacting, but it's so slight that most people wouldn't notice the difference with the original.

Plus it's only about 16% of the size of the original.

I was trying to upload it so everyone doesn't have these massive files to download, but I'm going to give up now. It's all too hard! :o

harlan
12-23-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm typically not considered with wether it's a dress or a skirt; I'm just interested in what resides underneath!! ;)

Seriously though, the videos are sweet...can't wait to play with 8, til then I'll mastur... ummm...I'll make due with 7.5

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 08:52 PM

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 09:13 PM

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 09:34 PM

TSpyrison
12-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

All of the sudden you are a man of few words Beamtracer?
:D

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 10:35 PM
My apologies for the blank spaces. I tried to upload that Quicktime file but it didn't work.

milkman
12-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Anyone notice in the Cloth FX demo, when Proton was editing the individual motion of each individual point in a dynamic simulation, he was moving the points around in each frame with Auto Key off... but then when he replayed it, the keyframes were still saved like he placed them?

colkai
12-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by archiea

Oooo-kaayy - <backs away slowly>
Too much information dude! ;)

jeanphi
12-24-2003, 03:19 AM
I have just seen the IKB_001.avi and I noticed the word "Quaternion".
Does it means that there is a new rotation solving engine and can it be enable/disable?
Does it means that there is no more gimballock problems inside Ik chains so no more extra buffer-bones to add?
Tell us Proton!
Then, how will we add constraint to bones like the old "Macth Goal Oriantation" or the "Constraint/Parenter" plug?
How about the "Record Pivot Rotation"? There is lots of problems in 7.5x with this tool. Did it change?
I hope so!

I think LW[8] will change animators life!

Great job Newtek!

riki
12-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Hey beam there's probably a set server limit, not related to the discussion forum itself but rather for the code that runs the forum.

Ross_DD
12-24-2003, 04:40 AM
LW 8 is looking great and new features are very impressive but... where is Modeler?
Is there nothing about it?
LW user are not only animators or special-FX masters but illustrators and designer also (like me...)...
They can be interesting more about modeling functions that dynamics-fx only...
LW is the best 3D-program for design and they have the best Photoshop-image compatibility.
I hope that LW8 will be a complete 3D-workspace with enhancement in all application-environments.
However i'm very impatient for new LW8 release and i'm trust in it.

(i'm very sorry for my bad english language)

Pretty Holydays for All.

Karmacop
12-24-2003, 04:59 AM
I'd like to see a tool to more quickly setup the sew operation. On high poly models with a long seam it'd take a long time to go point by point. Or atleast a shortcut to the sew button.

Philours
12-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Yeah i agree 100% with Ross_DD. We all know that the hardest work has been done for the layout but, hey, just for christmas, give us the 2-3 pieces of work about the modeler. :)
By the way, i hope the UI is not the final one cause i really found it crappy this way (sorry for thoses who have been working on) and moreover it really, really looks tooooooooooooo old school.
Please, give us a whole new UI style. :)
Merry X-mas to all of you and Happy new year !

JeF
12-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Philours
Yeah i agree 100% with Ross_DD. We all know that the hardest work has been done for the layout but, hey, just for christmas, give us the 2-3 pieces of work about the modeler.

I second that. A few words over the rendering engine would be nice also. Don't care if there isn't any change, but just give us some update.

By the way, i hope the UI is not the final one cause i really found it crappy this way (sorry for thoses who have been working on) and moreover it really, really looks tooooooooooooo old school.
Please, give us a whole new UI style.

Feel the same. I almost fell off my chair watching those videos. This UI looks like Win 3.1 or Amiga software. I really think it's a downgrade from previously posted screenshots or even from existing [7.5] interface.

However i'm looking forward for those new IK tools. Like Jeanphi, this "Quaternion" option looks quite intriguing to my eyes...

colkai
12-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Heh, go fish!
To my poor tired old eyes - this is much easier.
With any luck, it will be customisable so us old folks are catered for as well as the ones who want a super-flash design. ;)

I actually loved the 5.6C design, simple, easy to read, but then, I *am* an old fart! :p

archiea
12-24-2003, 05:37 AM
I'll second that comment regarding the gui.. it looks dated... hard outlines combined with bevels with flat colored buttons screams of the low bit depth days of computing... oops, only 256 colors...

I mean.. thats all i can say.. it just looks dated... if the sake was to give 8 a new look to say "new software" then its pointless.. Adobe changed their interface when they introduced their new floating, dockable tab.. it was an improvement to Photoshop... it help with workflow, streamlined the interface, and offered a new functions, if not several...

I see none of that with the new LW interface.. it looks clunky and dated while not adding anything to workflow.. so why changed it?

In the movies you posted, there is a large , dark background over the menu subgroups like Load, Add, replace and delete.. why have them colored.. in 7.5 these subgroups are just text over the BG, clearly showing that they are indexes, not buttons. In 8 they look like buttons....

The bevel and outline combo has to go.. period... it look so dated that I swear to you people will be turned off.. Mirage does the same and I have seen people refuse the demo becase the screen shots made it look "dated" and gave the impression that it was old clunky, nonstandard program....

Do you really want that image applied to LW?

We've been on this for months, with endless ideas posted by users of LW here.. You have acheived the image that LW 8 looks like LW 5.6.. what was so revolutionary about 5.6 over 7.5 that makes you think that this will grab new business... And again, with all of this press about the new interface, what more funtionality has been added?

There's an artform to slickness and function... DD's Nuke looks dated because GUI is low on the development pole, but not for long, Shake shrunk its font and rounded its nodes and now thinks its hip.. Combustion just looks slick because it offers an elegant consistancy to its menus.. Once you learn compositing the combustion way... at least I think so..
AE looks dated only because they havn't adopted the photoshop tab philosophy.. at least in 5.5.

Trust me, if this is the best you can do with the gui, stick to 7.5.. you are not doing the LW community any service by going retro with the interface...

Sorry for being so harsh, but out of all of the fab postings of upcoming LW 8 stuff, the gui has stuck out as a piece of crap being paraded around like it was a leap forward, and it was anything but....

Lets make it look like Df, lets make it look like shake.. I mean c'mon, have an independant designer come in and start soemthing from scratch... its like car designs,,, yeah the prototypes are not feasable as a production model , but they definitly inspire...

Beamtracer
12-24-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by colkai
Oooo-kaayy - <backs away slowly>
Too much information dude!

It's OK Archie, if you feel better running around in a dress that's OK. We're all artists! Your secret's safe with us! :D

By the way, I agree with what you say about the LW8 user interface.

Philours
12-24-2003, 06:04 AM
I mean c'mon, have an independant designer come in and start soemthing from scratch... its like car designs,,, yeah the prototypes are not feasable as a production model , but they definitly inspire...
True !
And all the comments about new version with old UI are true too.

Come on NT, don't be shy and break your image ! Your community is awesome and i'm proud to be part of it but i don't want to end in a "ghetto of the old school 3D app", and here the point is not about UI but about prehistorical states like limited undos in layout (where every other packages offer unlimited history states) and separated modules (modeleur+layout), but this is another topic, so please, give us at least an UI that fits with its time and dosen't give us the sensation to work in 1994.
Just take a look at Softimage and the real mutation of their UI between 3.9 and XSI. Okay, the app was totally rewritten but the UI gap between both really mark the next step feeling.
If, as you say (and show) [8] will be a "next step" version, do it with consistency, go till the end, rework the UI !

liquidik
12-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Well, just watched the soft fx and ik videos. While the interface may not look so stylish, I think it's pretty not tiring for my eyes, which is a good thing (expecially at 1920*1200 :p ).
I like the soft fx, it seems quite simple to achieve good simulations, and I like the IK boost too, with it we can really work more like traditional animators, in a more "pose to pose" fashion.
What I'd like to know is how far we can go with that setup, and how much we can automate it (like doing shoulder automation or FK/IK back).
Anyway, now I wish everyone a Marry Christmas...

:D :D

Stranger3D
12-24-2003, 06:25 AM
I love the new UI in LW 8 VERY VERY VERY Much.

DO NOT CHANGE IT AGAIN!!!!!! :D

cresshead
12-24-2003, 06:43 AM
one word of caution about lw8 u.i.....newtek please do not go n make it look like maya's u.i as i really hate that look of a childrens cheap toy that alias has strapped onto maya.

i think that lw8's current look is okay and a nice nod back to lightwave 5.6 which looks clean...i remember the ho harr about lightwave 6's interface...many hated it....then over time we came to love the new u.i...maybe the same here eh?

oh here's lw5.6 screen for ya!

pixelmonk
12-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
one word of caution about lw8 u.i.....newtek please do not go n make it look like maya's u.i as i really hate that look of a childrens cheap toy that alias has strapped onto maya.

I like Maya's UI. Granted it's completely different than LW's. The closest comparison to LW's UI could possibly be XSI. BTW, if you've used Maya you probably know that you can tweak the interface till your blue in the face therefore the post is /null. If you haven't used Maya and have only looked at screenshots or have opened it to look at the icons, then you can't base your assumption soley on that.

I've always loved LW's straight forward interface and when I first started with Maya I was lost. With Maya you can do the same task from 10 different places if you want. You can slim that down to 1 to 3 different places if you want, by tweaking the UI. That's part of its power. The use of hotboxes, tear offs and other interface goodies speed up efficiency. If you have 3 buttons on a mouse... they should be used! I noticed in LW 8 there will be more "right-click" UI enhancements. It's about time! I'm sure Newtek is gonna have the other companies looking hard at LW 8. Besides helping the LW community, Newtek will foster innovation and creativity amongst its 3D development peers which helps the 3D community as a whole.

mrunion
12-24-2003, 07:27 AM
As far as the new interface:

(Voice of Lloyd [Jim Carry] in Dumb and Dumber...)
I like it ALOT!

Chris S. (Fez)
12-24-2003, 07:43 AM
"The bevel and outline combo has to go.. period"

I agree. The 8 interface looks like a panel on the Millenium Falcon...clunky and old.

I urge Newtek to release a comprehensive feature list for the non-fanboy folks. We are tired of waiting. A surprise feature or two is fine but all this secrecy supposedly so close to a release is ridiculous IMO.

Bah humbug :).

jr_sunshine
12-24-2003, 07:51 AM
You guys are too funny complaining about the interface.

It's so sad to think I am not going to be able to do any 3d work now that the bevels are so big and those lines are so bold. Are you kidding me.

Ouch. Just fell out of my chair laughing.

Bad news people; no new workflow in [8] cause the buttons are blue and bevels are big. No new functions cause the lines are hard and the interface is kinda old looking.

DANG. And... I wanted to try out hard body dynamics but now I cannot.....

GRRRRR. There goes the soft body dynamics... stupid blue buttons.

MAN !! The IK would function so much better if those blasted bevels were not so big.

jr_sunshine
12-24-2003, 08:01 AM
BTW... I know I am going to be called a fanboy and get flamed for this but...

This complaining about asthetics is soooooooooo typical of artist types. Each one of you who have a beef with the interface thinks you have the inside track on what makes for an attractive and asthetic interface. Evidence, "...The bevel and outline combo has to go.. period..." This is such a dogmatic and self serving comment. Who the heck is this guy. Has he done market research about those bevels? Did he poll the entire LW community about this?

Don't think for a momment your point is lost on me. I develop large scale web applications for a living and completely understand the importance of a functional, asthetic, and usable UI. But this thread is just cry baby banter. What you should be asking is for NewTek to make the color and for Gods sake those bevels customizable.

Anyway.... I guess I am done ranting.

Sorry.

ddho1981
12-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
. . . .

i agree with you 100%! i'm not a fanboy of either newtek or JR_Sunshine . . . anyway, i was blown away by the videos (i'm not really into animation). it makes me want to stop doing architecture and do animation instead....that's how cool it looked to me personally.

JeF
12-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Hum.. Watched those videos again and again and again. I'll have to admit that the screen size used to capture the videos don't do justice to the UI. I closely looked at the UI in the screenshots posted lately by Proton and it's clearly the same one. Funny cus in those screenshot i find the UI not that bad. Of course i prefer the more "dfx-like" look they showed us at first..
Aaaaah, preferences...

I have also a request for Proton. Can you tell us how does this "parts" collision mode work in the new hardFX? How does this handle with layered objects etc..
As allready mentioned, is there a possibility to speed up the selection process while cutting in the clothFX?

But no rush.. It's christmas ;)

TSpyrison
12-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
"The bevel and outline combo has to go.. period"

I agree. The 8 interface looks like a panel on the Millenium Falcon...clunky and old.

I urge Newtek to release a comprehensive feature list for the non-fanboy folks. We are tired of waiting. A surprise feature or two is fine but all this secrecy supposedly so close to a release is ridiculous IMO.

Bah humbug :).

Hehehe.. That was great...
And I agree :)

prospector
12-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Maby we could get at least the ....manual....

would serve 2 purposes...

let everyone know what they are getting
AND
Would save on the downloading time when 8 is ready to download for us bandwidth impoverished folks.

So how bout it?

The manual at least???

TyVole
12-24-2003, 09:48 AM
I read that the manual won't be ready until after the release.

Valter
12-24-2003, 10:17 AM
I have a question about videos.

1) I liked of sewing tool. But I have a doubt about how will we make when we got a high detailed object with many points (500 or more) to make "sewing" it?? Have someway to make the selection of points quickly??

2) I did notice that object on cloth video is not subpatched. will I able to use subpatched object to work with dynamics??

3) Is possible set weight map to attribute real weight for each part of object using hardbody dynamics or softbody (amount of deformation)?

4) Is there another tool in the edit tools mode to make easy edition of path instead to edit frame by frame? something like magnetic tools or b-spline controls in the motion path.

thanks and sorry my english

Philours
12-24-2003, 10:26 AM

It's so sad to think I am not going to be able to do any 3d work now that the bevels are so big and those lines are so bold. Are you kidding me.

Bad news people; no new workflow in [8] cause the buttons are blue and bevels are big. No new functions cause the lines are hard and the interface is kinda old looking.

MAN !! The IK would function so much better if those blasted bevels were not so big.

So what ?

Do you feel uncomfortable because people "other than you" dislike the current shown UI ? Does it give you the right to laugh at them cause you assume YOU are right and the UI guys are just complaining and complaining again and again.
Sorry but as an user i like to work with something eye candy as long as it dosen't hinder the worflow and i'm sure i'm not alone in this case.

What you say is at least as funny than what "UI guys" are saying, it reminds me of the 70's and 80's blahblah about UI from these guys that were using Unix and text based system "what is the purpose of the UI when you can do everything with command lines ?", and so, 20 years after you get Mac OSX and is fancy UI which is a breeze to work with.

SO, yes, sorry, i like to have something usefull, rock solid AND a minimum pleasant to my eyes when i work with several hours a day. It might not be your case but this is true for others.

Saying that, i was not arguing about the workflow or the functionnalities, this is another point and i like Lighwtave's workflow as is, if you prefer to say "whao, everything is perfect in [8]", this is your right as this is ours to point the things we would like to be tweaked.

Sorry to live...

Oh, and by the way, please, assume you are not the ONLY professional on this list...

Merry christmas nevertheless...

CB_3D
12-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Hehe, it´s really xmas. I DLed the vids at twice the speed my connection provides?!

Wow.

jr_sunshine
12-24-2003, 10:47 AM
I am not against UI's or even a UI with gobs of eye candy. Have it any way you want. I was simply laughing at the angst people are having over the freaking color and bevel width of the buttons on the "as of yet not released and obviously not finalized" LW [8]. It just seemed trival to me. I care about those things too but come on. Why not simply comment on the features being demonstrated. What a concept. You will notice I worded my comments in a way to make fun of the angst while highlighting the features. As for perfection, I expect the artsy crowd to think in those terms. You know... balance... purity.... perfection. I understand it's hard to step out of that mindset. Nothing is perfect and I understand that. I'm not saying [8] is perfect. Again, I will repeat myself for clarity.... Freaking out over the color and bevel width of the buttons just seemed trival to me.

And last but not at all least, I DO NOT ASSUME I am the only professional on this forum. Actually, I consider myself the least of many great professionals on this forum. I figured most professionals would get a good laugh out of my comments. I also realized that the people who were most tweaked off by the COLOR and BEVEL WIDTH of the buttons would probably not find my comments that funny.

Happy Holidays.

Philours
12-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Sorry, but reading again your comments, i dont find it "funny" but "mocker".

Concerning the new features, they are great, absolutely, i hope the UI will be as great as these new features.

:p

jr_sunshine
12-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Fair Enough.

Take care and have a great holiday.

CB_3D
12-24-2003, 11:10 AM
I like what i see, featurewise. I hope the new IK commands will all be available as LS commands.

anieves
12-24-2003, 11:57 AM
I am not against UI's or even a UI with gobs of eye candy. Have it any way you want. I was simply laughing at the angst people are having over the freaking color and bevel width of the buttons on the "as of yet not released and obviously not finalized" LW [8]. It just seemed trival to me. I care about those things too but come on. Why not simply comment on the features being demonstrated. What a concept. You will notice I worded my comments in a way to make fun of the angst while highlighting the features. As for perfection, I expect the artsy crowd to think in those terms. You know... balance... purity.... perfection. I understand it's hard to step out of that mindset. Nothing is perfect and I understand that. I'm not saying [8] is perfect. Again, I will repeat myself for clarity.... Freaking out over the color and bevel width of the buttons just seemed trival to me.

And last but not at all least, I DO NOT ASSUME I am the only professional on this forum. Actually, I consider myself the least of many great professionals on this forum. I figured most professionals would get a good laugh out of my comments. I also realized that the people who were most tweaked off by the COLOR and BEVEL WIDTH of the buttons would probably not find my comments that funny.

Happy Holidays.

I got a good laugh jr_

Now, do you think that Newtek will EVER again show comps of UI ideas and designs? probably not; and I wouldn't blame them.

Original1
12-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Its a pity the interface can't be skinable like VT2, that would solve all the arguments, being able to reset where panels popup on a two monitor setup whould be useful since if you lose a monitor they still popup off screen

Paul_Boland
12-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Can someone upload those 5Mb recompressed videos else where? It would take me hours and hours to download the videos as they currently stand.

If this is not possible, can someone post some screen shots from the videos?

RiGLEY
12-24-2003, 01:21 PM
i like the new UI.

JeF
12-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Original1
Its a pity the interface can't be skinable like VT2, that would solve all the arguments, being able to reset where panels popup on a two monitor setup whould be useful since if you lose a monitor they still popup off screen

This is a must have feature (the panel popup)!

3DZukini
12-24-2003, 03:13 PM
I'm getting excited...I hope these videos keep coming right up until the release because this will totally help me learn the new features better than the manual. Thank you guys for putting these together, and keep em coming--I'm really anxious to see what modeler has for new features because I'm starting a new character and I'll kick myself when I finish it and there's a new tool that would have saved me days!

JeF
12-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Paul_Boland
Can someone upload those 5Mb recompressed videos else where? It would take me hours and hours to download the videos as they currently stand.

If this is not possible, can someone post some screen shots from the videos?

I can host them if you want. Just PM before tomorrow afternoon (after will be out until 13 of january) to send it to me and i will put them on a fast server.

themaxx
12-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RiGLEY
i like the new UI.

me too.

riki
12-24-2003, 06:22 PM
I tried installing the Mac codex but nothing happens when I double click on the installer. :confused:

prospector
12-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Yep, I like the new UI too

clean and easly readable.

archiea
12-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Actually JR, to put it into perspective...

NT had progressed to 7.5 as far as interface, and then released the retro 8. Point is that they are going back, for no reason other than to 'change the interface", in fact it was stated as a marketing choice..

As I stated before, Mirage has the same 5/8 look to it and alot of artist commented that mirage looked "old" to them.

And it is old...

So if the point of NT changing the interface is just for sheer marketing... making it look "old" gains what?

Does this sound as frivolous to you?

And no, I haven't seen the kind of innovation to workflow in NT's new 8 gui desgn as Adobe did with photoshop's tabs...

its all just dressing...

and, above all else... LW has a fine interface now... one that looks modern and suits LW just as well as the proposed 8 stuff.. why the effort to change it if you are adding nothing, and making it look old aesthetically

jr_sunshine
12-25-2003, 06:39 AM
I just think it is funny that people are getting so tweaked off about it. The color and bevel of the buttons seems to be more of an issue than the lack of modeler enhancements.

Valter
12-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Valter

1) I liked of sewing tool. But I have a doubt about how will we make when we got a high detailed object with many points (500 or more) to make "sewing" it?? Have someway to make the selection of points quickly??

2) I did notice that object on cloth video is not subpatched. will I able to use subpatched object to work with dynamics??

3) Is possible set weight map to attribute real weight for each part of object using hardbody dynamics or softbody (amount of deformation)?

4) Is there another tool in the edit tools mode to make easy edition of path instead to edit frame by frame? something like magnetic tools or b-spline controls in the motion path.

Could someone from Newtek help me with my questions???

Thanks

TyVole
12-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Perhaps you should wait until after Christmas for a reply.

Ade
12-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Newtek should announce LW8 at macworld in january!

best publicity and most viewed stream.

nerdyguy227
12-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Valter

I would like to know the answer to these questions also.

WilliamVaughan
12-25-2003, 08:42 AM

To my knowledge this is the workflow of the sewing tool. It is probably this setup since you are not limited to sewing to one object...meaning you can sew from one object to another.

You can also limit the selection of points to a specific vmap which would make it much easier to select the specific points you would like to sew.

The dress in the video is SubD as well as the Tire....Subd object work just fine.

The new dynamics work with all vmaps...including Weight maps. You can also get some very cool setups using uv MAPS :)

THE INFO PANEL IN mODELER IS GOING TO BECOME YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN USING DYNAMICS.

Watch the video again...You can choose what edit mode you would like to work in (All, After, Before, and Current)

You can also change the edit size and limit the frames you want to work on .....there are so many detailed options that I chose not to show for an intro to dynamic video :)

I will be posting new videos when I get back into the office to show off more of the cool new features. Until then start dreaming up cool new animations.....I keep coming up with all new things to animate myself :)

WilliamVaughan
12-25-2003, 08:46 AM
oh yeah...I'm going back to my wife and dog...cya on Monday!

Kvaalen
12-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by proton

Watch the video again...You can choose what edit mode you would like to work in (All, After, Before, and Current)

You can also change the edit size and limit the frames you want to work on .....there are so many detailed options that I chose not to show for an intro to dynamic video :)

I think he meant to ask if there was a way to edit more than one point at a time (like the Magnet tool in Modeler). Looking forward to more videos. :)

WilliamVaughan
12-25-2003, 09:38 AM
The edit size works like the magnet tool...so yes....you can :)

.....I'll make a video of it after I make some of the other videos

Valter
12-25-2003, 09:56 AM
oh great
thanks for reply

Seems that we will have a powerfull control on dynamics in lw8. :)

I can't wait make a object to explode in many part with differents weight all conform fisic.

cheers

anieves
12-25-2003, 09:58 AM
My wife got me the LW8 DFX+ deal for Christmas!!!! she got it from safe harbor.com I can't wait to play with 8 in the meantime I have DFX+ to play with.:D

jeanphi
12-25-2003, 10:42 AM
well..., can anyone from Newtek would give me any answer about my previous reply...

...I have just seen the IKB.avi and I noticed the word "Quaternion".
Does it means that there is a new rotation solving engine and can it be enable/disable?
Does it means that there is no more gimballock problems inside Ik chains so no more extra buffer-bones to add?
Tell us Proton!
Then, how will we add constraint to bones like the old "Macth Goal Oriantation" or the "Constraint/Parenter" plug?
How about the "Record Pivot Rotation"? There is lots of problems in 7.5x with this tool. Did it change?
I hope so!

Great job Newtek!

Thanks

nerdyguy227
12-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
I think he meant to ask if there was a way to edit more than one point at a time (like the Magnet tool in Modeler). Looking forward to more videos. :)

I don't know what Valter ment but that is what I ment.

Kuzey
12-25-2003, 05:37 PM
So far I just watched the IKB_001.avi and the "IK Boost Tool" looks wonderful.

But what would make it even better is if the was a IK mirror tool as part of the "IK Boost Tool":D

That is, you first set up the ik for one side only (left arm and left leg etc) and then click IK mirror and all the settings are copied to the opposite side in one go.

It would be faster than individually copying each setting :p

Kuzey

Karmacop
12-25-2003, 05:58 PM
I saw Jonny edit multiple frames like the magnet tool does. I'd suggest showing that off instead of the single frame thing Proton, just because it looks better when demoing ;)

Kuzey, there is a mirror bones tool in layout now that'll rename your bones and everything for you (I think it was part of Ortho?), but it wont mirror weight maps unfortunately.

Proton, when you copied a null to the motion path of a point in the tire, was this linked to point or did it just copy the motion path? ie if you changed the tire animation would the null move with it? And can you export a point's motion path from the edit fx tab or do you need to make one of these nulls and then export the motion path (a much longer process)?

Kuzey
12-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop

Kuzey, there is a mirror bones tool in layout now that'll rename your bones and everything for you (I think it was part of Ortho?), but it wont mirror weight maps unfortunately.

I wasn't talking about that :p

If you look at the video again, Proton copies the "ik settings" from one bone to another...one at a time. Which takes way too long.

It would be better if you could do it in one go.

I just made the mistake of calling it "IK mirror tool" when maybe it should have been "Mirror IK Settings "...or something even better :p

Kuzey

Ade
12-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Proton can we have some videos showing off modeler's abilities and also some rendering newies!

Karmacop
12-26-2003, 02:17 AM
Kuzey, how would it know which bones to mirror settings for? Pick 2 bones and it'd copy settings down the heirarchy? ... thinking about it now that's a good idea, except for when you get to a point where a bone has more than one parent :p

Maybe Proton could ask the dev team if that'd be possible?

My request fo the next video is to show off open gl stuff ;)

colkai
12-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by anieves
My wife got me the LW8 DFX+ deal for Christmas!!!! she got it from safe harbor.com I can't wait to play with 8 in the meantime I have DFX+ to play with.:D

That's one hell of a wife you got there, you know that don't ya? :D

Merry Xmas!

nerdyguy227
12-26-2003, 08:09 AM
When I called to order LW 7.5 upgrade w/ DFX+ and a free upgrade to LW 8, Irene King said LW 8 will have the fastest rendering capibilities in the world, but just how fast is that?

lasco
12-26-2003, 01:46 PM
When I called Steve Jobs to order my Macintosh he said the same thing…
hem…

anieves
12-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by colkai
That's one hell of a wife you got there, you know that don't ya? :D

Merry Xmas!

you bet I do!!!!!!!:D

Merry Xmas to you too!

Kuzey
12-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Kuzey, how would it know which bones to mirror settings for? Pick 2 bones and it'd copy settings down the heirarchy? ... thinking about it now that's a good idea, except for when you get to a point where a bone has more than one parent :p

Maybe Proton could ask the dev team if that'd be possible?

Should be easy, all you need to do is have the code search for bones that have custom settings applied with names beginning with "Left" or "Right" ( Left Leg, Right hand..etc ).

It would then change the "left" part of the name to "right" or the other way around, and if the bone(s) with the changed name exists...it would copy the ik setting from the old name to it.

Basically, it just compares bone names and settings....something like that:p

Kuzey

archiea
12-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
When I called to order LW 7.5 upgrade w/ DFX+ and a free upgrade to LW 8, Irene King said LW 8 will have the fastest rendering capibilities in the world, but just how fast is that?

Didn't she also say that it wil be released 4th quater 2003?

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sorry about that, I couldn't release.. i mean resist!!!:p

riki
12-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the videos Proton/Chuck/Newtek/Everyone. Hope your all having a merry christmas. 8 looks great you should be proud. I managed to download them all last night, plus the expression editor one on my 56k connection. It was all very painless and easy. Many thanks

Also couldn't help but cast me greedy eyes on theses. "more please!" :)

nerdyguy227
12-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Didn't she also say that it wil be released 4th quater 2003?

My mom called and left a message then Irene King called back on a school day early Nov. My mom said Irene said it would be releaced late Nov. and posably early Dec. then when I called back with my mom early Dec. to order the thing she said mid to late Dec. That was prabibly what she was informed.

You can't blame NewTek for not releacing LW 8 on time. They want it to be very stabel. Things get pushed back all the time for the same reason.

PixelDust
12-26-2003, 08:56 PM
I also want to say thanks for the demo videos. Most of them so far are similar to the Siggraph demos, but it's nice to be able to actually see what's happening on screen! ;)

One feature I liked was the way you can interactively adjust joint limits. I've used Animation:Master for a while, and the only way you can adjust joint limits is by adding a spherical constraint or an Euler constraint, and then you have to enter numbers manually. I could never visualize how the spherical constraints worked. It used degrees latitiude and longitude, like on a globe.

Rigging looks like it will be much easier. I could never get around to animating anything because I couldn't understand how to rig.

With stuff like this, I'm definitely looking forward to LW 8. Please keep the demo videos coming!

Hervé
12-27-2003, 01:57 AM
Nerdyguy227 is so cool... "my mom..." so sweet.... aaaaahhhh memories....

DaveW
12-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jeanphi
well..., can anyone from Newtek would give me any answer about my previous reply...

...I have just seen the IKB.avi and I noticed the word "Quaternion".
Tell us Proton!
I hope so!

Great job Newtek!

Thanks

Only someone from NewTek can say for sure, but yes quaternion is another method of solving rotations and it would get rid of gimbal lock. I'm sure you can enable/disable it, as not everyone likes working with quaternion and there are advantages to using euler.

The record pivot rotation is probably replaced by the Ortho version wich is much better.

archiea
12-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
Nerdyguy227 is so cool... "my mom..." so sweet.... aaaaahhhh memories....

heh heh...
herve, don;t laugh....

For some "my mom says..." has been replaced with "My wife says..."

Hervé
12-28-2003, 02:25 AM
you're sooo right ..... hehe !!!

thekho
12-29-2003, 03:45 PM
All LW8 demos are great. I really like IK Boost Tool which looks excellent.

More....More...please:D

Happy New Year to u all.