PDA

View Full Version : Learning Octane

michaeldejong
01-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Does anybody know of a good resource for learning Otoy's rendering plugin?

I know this guy who makes it is brilliant but creating good documentation is not his strong point.
The company I work for has recently purchased a subscription for Octane but I was hoping to find a boost in learning the it's ins and outs.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't have to be free.

Thanks in advance!

TheLexx
01-30-2018, 10:58 AM
I don't use Octane, but:-

https://docs.otoy.com/Portal/Home.htm

http://www.liberty3d.com/2016/06/the-quick-start-guide-to-octane-for-lightwave/

michaeldejong
01-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Thanks for that link to Liberty3d. And again I haven't found the otoy docs very helpful so far. They just don't speak my language.

Any Octane users reading this that can point me to some good learning material AND/OR show me some really inspirational imagery done with Lightwave & Octane?

TheLexx
01-31-2018, 02:35 AM
To be honest nothing specific springs to mind, but I would just say that because Octane renderings should be more or less universal to the various software, then any high quality rendering you see in 4D or Maya, etc, should be pretty much achievable in Lightwave. There will soon be an updated (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=64553) Octane plugin for LW 2018.

kopperdrake
01-31-2018, 05:31 AM
This is true - I've learned a lot from watching videos showing Octane in its standalone form and as a plugin for other pieces of 3D software. The settings are usually easy enough to find in the LW version :)

As for inspiration - Rene has some lovely work https://www.youtube.com/user/safarifx2010/featured

michaeldejong
02-16-2018, 03:59 PM
This is true - I've learned a lot from watching videos showing Octane in its standalone form and as a plugin for other pieces of 3D software. The settings are usually easy enough to find in the LW version :)

As for inspiration - Rene has some lovely work https://www.youtube.com/user/safarifx2010/featured

So am I right in thinking it doesn't matter which program your 3D models and motion are made in, the Octane rendering engine has the ability to create the same image?
I have seen AMAZING work done with Octane but most of it was labelled along with Cinema4D. Is it just as possible to create that type of work inside LightWave?

TheLexx
02-16-2018, 04:32 PM
So am I right in thinking it doesn't matter which program your 3D models and motion are made in, the Octane rendering engine has the ability to create the same image?
Yes, I believe you are quite right in thinking that. My understanding is that the actual materials and rendering will be of identical quality in LW and 4D if using Octane, because they would originate from Octane, so any other perceived difference in quality will be entirely due to how well the models and animations made beforehand in your software of choice. So use LW well and 4D badly, then it will show, and of course vice versa.

safarifx
02-16-2018, 04:44 PM

Yes. however, there are differences in the implementation of the software in the various 3d programs. octane is best integrated into lightwave. it runs most stable in lw and has the most features. otherwise applies. the renderer will only be as good as you understand it. In that sense, such questions are always difficult to answer.

snip safx alias LightWaveGuru

jwiede
02-16-2018, 04:45 PM
My understanding is that the actual materials and rendering will be of identical quality in LW and 4D if using Octane, because they would originate from Octane, so any other perceived difference in quality will be entirely due to how well the models and animations made beforehand in your software of choice.

Exactly so. In other pkgs, it's still Octane surfacing and Octane rendering, so presuming you can get the same geometry, animation, etc. into Layout, there's no reason output should differ substantially from those other packages' Octane integrations.

Marander
02-17-2018, 12:57 AM
...octane is best integrated into lightwave. it runs most stable in lw and has the most features.

snip safx alias LightWaveGuru

Where does that come from? Do you have any experience with another integration? What features do you have more than in the other Octane integration? From what I hear the Octane for Cinema integration (like all the other renderers) is very robust and used alot by many artists.

michaeldejong
02-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Exactly so. In other pkgs, it's still Octane surfacing and Octane rendering, so presuming you can get the same geometry, animation, etc. into Layout, there's no reason output should differ substantially from those other packages' Octane integrations.

Thanks Jwiede! That's what I was hoping. So if I find someone on youtube with decent training material there is nothing stopping me from using those techniques in Lightwave, or any other program with Octane integration for that matter.
Any suggested mentors btw?