PDA

View Full Version : Godot 3.0 is out!

Rayek
01-30-2018, 01:25 AM
After more than 18 months of development, all Godot Engine contributors are proud to present our biggest release so far, Godot 3.0! It brings a brand new rendering engine with state-of-the-art PBR workflow for 3D, an improved assets pipeline, GDNative to load native code as plugins, C# 7.0 support, Bullet as the 3D physics engine, and many other features

The new 3D engine is outstanding, with many features out-of-the-box that are still not common in other mainstream engines. Added to this, Godot's ease of use allows reaching the best quality with much less effort.

https://godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released

Highlights:
New physically based 3D renderer: Full principled BSDF, Global illumination (GI), Mid- and post-processing)
GPU particles
New asset workflow: automatically import assets, import glTF 2.0 scenes, improved OBJ support, SVG support
GDNative: easily extend Godot in C/C++ without recompiling the engine, and that for any platform.
Scripting: Mono / C# support, Visual Scripting
New audio engine
VR support
Bullet Physics backend
New networked multiplayer API
Rewritten export system: export presets, IPv6 support
WebAssembly and WebGL 2.0 support (greatly improved HTML5 exporter)
New editor theme and customization
Auto-tiling in tile maps
Improved flat style box: Customize your game UI components with slick vector looks and soft drop shadows without having to create any image!
Font oversampling: your fonts always use the native resolution even if your UI is scaled.
Greatly improved 3D editor viewport
Console support via private companies: a Nintendo Switch port has been recently completed, allowing Godot to run on this latest console.
New manual: http://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/index.html

Get it here: https://godotengine.org/

Extract, and run! A single executable, no need for installation.

Ztreem
01-30-2018, 02:40 AM
Cool, I have to check this out. Have been watching godot developing for a while now...

Nangleator
03-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Anybody ever have luck with this? I got very briefly very excited, until I realized there's no import option, no way to get a model into it, not even the fictional new format that won't likely be a LightWave option for years.

Note the lack of .dae. Also note that .zip files can be loaded... if they contain the native .godot file, which you can't reasonably create without being able to import geometry into the game engine.

Rayek
03-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Anybody ever have luck with this? I got very briefly very excited, until I realized there's no import option, no way to get a model into it, not even the fictional new format that won't likely be a LightWave option for years.

Note the lack of .dae. Also note that .zip files can be loaded... if they contain the native .godot file, which you can't reasonably create without being able to import geometry into the game engine.

You are old-fashioned in your thinking: no need to "import" via a classic import option. Just drag and drop your DAE files in a folder in your project folder, and Godot imports them.

That dialog has nothing to do with importing assets: only with project import (including a zipped project folder).

Rayek
03-18-2019, 07:49 PM
BTW, version 3.1 was released a couple of days ago!

https://godotengine.org/article/godot-3-1-released

Nangleator
03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Well, you can forgive me to attempt to use the "import" feature to import scenes, especially when the documentation tells me to do it that way.

"let’s start by downloading a sample project: instancing.zip. Unzip this project anywhere you like. Then open Godot and add this project to the project manager using the ‘Import’ button..."

Alright, I better read the entire manual before continuing.

Rayek
03-18-2019, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I realize my comment sounded a bit cheeky - wasn't meant like that. :-)

The manual explains the asset import process quite well: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/workflow/assets/index.html

It's actually a really nice and optimized workflow: place an asset somewhere in your project using your OS file manager, and Godot imports it automatically (that is, if it is a supported file format). Later, if you need to update the asset, just overwrite the old one with the new one, and it is updated in your project.

Each imported asset can be controlled with the import properties, and updated with different settings. For example, SVG files are automatically rasterized, and the import settings allow for bitmap resolution settings.

The developers made an improved .dae exporter for Blender, which works really well. I am unsure about Lightwave, though - I tested an interior scene (static dae file exported from Layout), and it imported fine, as far as I could tell.

Nangleator
03-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your help! I've been making progress after that bottleneck. I plan to test all aspects of the Collada exporting/importing.

Still very much looking forward to the engine's potential.