PDA

View Full Version : G5: Too heavy

Turner
12-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, I got my G5 today. FedEx missed us at the house so I picked it up at their station this evening, and I'll say this: It's just too heavy.

This might seem like petty stuff, but consider that the woman at FedEx had to put it down once while carrying it up front to me, and that it weighed 58 pounds (boxed) which prevented her from setting it down on someone else's package.

Then, when I got home, I had to carry it upstairs to the studio, and unpack it, and lift it out of the box, and then carry it back downstairs to show my wife while she had her coffee and watched the kids.

Then I had to carry it upstairs again, and when I popped the case open (with its heavy, heavy side door) I had to carry it downstairs AGAIN to show her the inside and the two processors. Sure, she thought it was cool, but I was getting pretty tired.

Of course I had to carry it upstairs again, then down AGAIN to show her all the fans and lack of wires, which I was too exited to point out the first time.

Come on, Apple, you had to know this was going to happen.

archiea
12-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, this article my give a hint to the much needed diet for the G5....

http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/22/cx_ah_1222aapl.html

drclare
12-23-2003, 05:52 PM
And why would you have to carry it downstairs to show her?

archiea
12-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Cough! pussywhipped, cough!!! :D

Turner
12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
lol... hot dogs and doughnuts...

archiea
12-23-2003, 07:14 PM
I think thats the staple diet of CG people in general... when its not Pizza and beer..

pizza and beer

Pizza and beer....

I remember one of the demo for the video toaster... the demo guy would say that, by using the toaster, you saved time and money, which means... more pizza and beer....

"Fwank an beeeeeens!!!" .. remember that line!

Beamtracer
12-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Congratulations, Turner, on your new G5. You'll be very happy with it.

Did it come with Panther or 10.2.7?

Can you ask the Apple dealer for a 10.2.7 disk until Lightwave 8 comes out?

Turner
12-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Beamtracer... hee hee...

Just answered this in that "other" thread!

Andrew

riki
12-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Well if just bought a G5 it might be the only exercise you get for awhile :)

strongarm27
12-24-2003, 01:49 PM
You can't get 10.27 from apple if it comes with
10.3. I tried and they said the system can't be
backward installed. I think this is a load of crap.
The bottom line is that after a 1.5 hrs on the
phone and 4 transfers, the only answer I could
get was sorry if you don't like it return it. She
was very nice but still They would not give me
the disks that should have come with my system.
Refurbished stated that it came with the disks.
On the upside the only problem I have seen on
my 10.32 is the mouse bug and the graph editor.
Lucky for me these aren't show stoppers at the
moment.

shawn ogle

Turner
12-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Well, got my 20" Cinema Display, hooked up my G5 for the first time, hit the startup button, heard the startup sound.. and waited... and waited...

Tried again, called Apple, walked through total beginner stuff, and they told me to take it to Comp USA! Yeah, right...

There's and Apple Store near me so I went there instead.. Apple screwed up my case number (it was for the display) but the guy at the store got it straightened out..

In fact, they got a "Mac Genius" (whatever) to help me immediately, who proceeded to unpack the G5 and try it out..... kinda impressive - that NEVER would have happened at Comp USA.

Anyway, no dice... dead.

So, I ordered another one.

Getting quite the workout all right.

Zarathustra
12-24-2003, 02:38 PM
the woman at FedEx had to put it down once while carrying it up front to me

and I suppose you just sat and dunked your donut and watched her struggle with it. Shame on you.

Carrying it up and down the stairs for the wife sounds like Karma payback.

Turner
12-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, go figure - those crazy FedEx people just won't let you get behind the counter to retrieve stuff from their "back room"... I should have just pushed my way past them, huh?

Originally posted by Zarathustra
and I suppose you just sat and dunked your donut and watched her struggle with it. Shame on you.

Zarathustra
12-24-2003, 04:02 PM
My mistake - I missed the part about going to the Fedex place. I thought you were watching her carry it up to your front door.
Sorry.

archiea
12-24-2003, 11:18 PM
DOA G5, huh?

hey, turner, ya know... shop for a refurb... I mean I get alot of my mac stuff refurb... think about it.. its been given the shakedown... I recommend Smalldogs.com.. they check the hardware before they ship it out.. You gotta dig that....

I recall my friend's quicksilver.. it was DOA, she was told to take it to a local comp USA,, after about a month they had replaced the power supply, the motherboard, the superdrive.. essentially after a month, she was handed a refurb model: her computer with a new motherboard, drive, etc.. they wouldn't just take it back and swap it out since she got it at macmall.. Funny thing was, before she got it I told her to get a refurb and she said she didn;t like the idea... Well, after a month of headaches and paying full price, she ended up with what was essentially a refurb...

That is the exception, but man, does it suck when you are the exception!!!

Turner
12-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Funny, that's the second time I've heard of them (actually smalldog.com) in two days - my father in law recommended them for the extended warranty!

As far as the machine goes, well, Apple has already sent my replacement... keeping my fingers crossed.

Andrew

Originally posted by archiea
DOA G5, huh?

hey, turner, ya know... shop for a refurb... I mean I get alot of my mac stuff refurb... think about it.. its been given the shakedown... I recommend Smalldogs.com.. they check the hardware before they ship it out.. You gotta dig that....

I recall my friend's quicksilver.. it was DOA, she was told to take it to a local comp USA,, after about a month they had replaced the power supply, the motherboard, the superdrive.. essentially after a month, she was handed a refurb model: her computer with a new motherboard, drive, etc.. they wouldn't just take it back and swap it out since she got it at macmall.. Funny thing was, before she got it I told her to get a refurb and she said she didn;t like the idea... Well, after a month of headaches and paying full price, she ended up with what was essentially a refurb...

That is the exception, but man, does it suck when you are the exception!!!