PDA

View Full Version : Houdini OpenVDB exports-cloudFX and pyroFX

prometheus
01-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Hi folks!

Just installed the apprentice version today of houdinifx since I needed to try out houdini openVDB exports, previously I tried blender with decent results.
I was interested to see how easy it was to export by creating geoemetry and making that cloudfx, in this case...I just used metaballs in blender then saved to obj, then imported to houdini, made it a cloudfx rig, added a convert to vdb node, and saved out, added a null and set to openVDB loaded that houdini vdb file in density and emission channel, changed some scattering and emission values, worked very smoothly to get it in, I still need to check quality and what to be aware of if you go close or inside the cloud volume.

nevermind the actual cloud noise or shape, it sucks, it was just my first load and setting to get it to export, I know I can raise the level of good looking clouds many many levels up:D
Just wanted to check the workflow and if it worked nicely and fast....and it Does, so great..yet another incitament to upgrade to lightwave 2018, as well as looking in to houdini indie, only got 3 days left of the lightwave 2018 trial.

The houdini openGL viewport is Amazing when navigating around zooming in the cloud etc with REally...Real Time presentation, however..tweaking the noise of the cloud etc..requires cooking first a couple of seconds before it can be used in realtime viewports..so you may want lower res quality initially in houdini while tweaking, and when that is done to a satisfactory level, increase quality.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139814&d=1517165836

prometheus
01-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Checking four other features changes..

-sk_suncolor, added that modifier in the distant light color channel, and the color tints nicely on to the openVDB clouds, so that is all good, it reacts as expected I think when changing pitch of the sun.
- changed the distant lights angle value, turning off normalize..and we got a much softer look and more softer details on the clouds..if that is what we want.
- added a spherical light for godrays and enabled volumetric scattering (distant light canīt do this unfortunately)
- Cloned the cloud as instances three times...It works, but be careful, especially moving the instanced clouds with VPR active, Lightwave crashes/shuts down without any crash reporter even, so move your cloned clouds without VPR active, viewing it and moving other stuff with VPR active though seems ok.

clouds is the same as before, I will work on much better ones and try that.
What seems to be nice here... is the render speed of godrays spherical lights behind the clouds, seems much faster than trying with Lightwaves volumetric Items for clouds.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139817&d=1517168381

prometheus
01-28-2018, 04:03 PM
and a more softer cloud, actually just a base from blender metaballs..since I like those :) and need to get up to speed with houdini metaballs or something else like the lsystem and making cloud branches from that.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139818&d=1517180501

Ztreem
01-28-2018, 05:37 PM
and a more softer cloud, actually just a base from blender metaballs..since I like those :) and need to get up to speed with houdini metaballs or something else like the lsystem and making cloud branches from that.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139818&d=1517180501

Why not just add smoke with some turbulence to the metaballs in Blender? Why use three apps, when you can use one or two?

jwiede
01-28-2018, 07:33 PM
- Cloned the cloud as instances three times...It works, but be careful, especially moving the instanced clouds with VPR active, Lightwave crashes/shuts down without any crash reporter even, so move your cloned clouds without VPR active, viewing it and moving other stuff with VPR active though seems ok.

If the crash is reliably repeatable, you should file a bug report. Layout's likely just missing synchronization between volumetric rendering and instancing, which might be a fairly easy (or at least "direct") fix to implement.

prometheus
01-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Why not just add smoke with some turbulence to the metaballs in Blender? Why use three apps, when you can use one or two?

Sure ...I can do that...but why would I do that. ..when the whole point was to try out houdini vdb..and not blender..I have a thread about blender vdb
As well...Besides two things...
Houdini allows for turning geometry to volumes better than blender...and it doesn't require any fluid simulation.

Mostly a try with cloud fx.
Wether or not I use meatballs in blender...Houdini. ..Use two or three apps are of little importance here..it's not where the focus should be on for these tries.

Ztreem
01-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Sure ...I can do that...but why would I do that. ..when the whole point was to try out houdini vdb..and not blender..I have a thread about blender vdb
As well...Besides two things...
Houdini allows for turning geometry to volumes better than blender...and it doesn't require any fluid simulation.

Mostly a try with cloud fx.
Wether or not I use meatballs in blender...Houdini. ..Use two or three apps are of little importance here..it's not where the focus should be on for these tries.

Ok, fine. Good that you test things out.