PDA

View Full Version : G5 news from Forbes...

archiea
12-23-2003, 04:54 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/22/cx_ah_1222aapl.html

What kinda scared me about the article was a comment made by Glaskowsky at the end that said that the 64 bit OS for the mac was at least two years away...

I was sticking with my dp 800 G4 until there was a 64bit OS. My debate was to upgrade the DP800 to a DP 1.4ghz G4 for like a grand... Almost twice as fast... not a bad trade off... still cheaper than a new G5, at least the DP 2ghz that I would get...

I guess Well know more in two weeks after macworld...

drclare
12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Im with you there. I have dual 800 G4 too, and im not going near the G5 until the update to the first 64bit OS. Plus i can't afford it till probably that long anyway.

archiea
12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
The powerlogix stuff... 1.4 Ghz, that would give us an almost 2X performance boost for about a grand... that ain;t all too bad... no data to transfer, no new instalations of software...

Also, you may want to keep your G4 even after getting the G5... it holds so many dives that with the gigabit ethernet, you can use it as a file server... keep all of your frames or library footage online there... with the price of 250GB drives so cheap these days....

Beamtracer
12-24-2003, 12:54 AM
OS X 10.3 has both 64 and 32-bit features. The MACH kernel (the guts of the OS that the rest sits on top of) is 64-bit. That's how the OS can access 8 gigs of RAM. Other parts of the OS are still 32-bit.

It will be a couple of years before Apple goes to a pure 64-bit OS.

archiea
12-24-2003, 02:35 AM
Still, its not a pure 64 bit OS like the supposed windows system is...

I think I'll wait, unless i'm seeing leaps of differences with the usual players (Adobe, NT, etc) and performance on a G5...

Go to barefeats.com and you can see still various deficencies in the G5 throughput related to firmware, not just OS..

Beamtracer
12-24-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by archiea
Still, its not a pure 64 bit OS like the supposed windows system is... All the current Windows desktop systems are 32-bit (I'm not including the failed Itanium processor here).

The next major revision of Windows is Longhorn, due 2006 at the earliest, possibly 2008. Many people believe this is when Windows will go 64-bit for the masses. Others think MS will release a service update before then that will include 64-bit features.

The Mac OS is part 64-bit now. You can load up multiple 32-bit apps and use all 8 gigs of RAM (most Windows systems are limited to 2 gigs of RAM total.) Don't forget that Lightwave, Modeler and Hub are separate applications.

Regardless, I will go to barefeets now and read about how bad the G5 is!

Lynx3d
12-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The Mac OS is part 64-bit now. You can load up multiple 32-bit apps and use all 8 gigs of RAM (most Windows systems are limited to 2 gigs of RAM total.) Don't forget that Lightwave, Modeler and Hub are separate applications.

2GB RAM total? Even my aging Dual-Athlon can use 3.5GB (half a GB is used by the chipset)
If you mean 2GB per application (however shared libraries may actually reduce it to 1.5 - 1.7GB), even that's only half the thruth, Windows XP Pro (and all Server variants of MS's OSes) have a switch for 3/1 GB for Application/OS virtual address space splitting, but applications have to demand that in the process header (i doubt Lightwave does)
Apparently there are even some tricks to use close to 4GB on Windows it seems (read that discreet combustion 3 does that).

But i doubt Lightwave can use more than 1.5-2GB on Windows or 2.25GB on MacOSX...since those are the max contiguous memory areas, so space you can allocate without taking care of a couple of things.

I'm afraid there's no way around true 64bit to get more than (or even exactly) 4GB memory without special programming techniques so i guess you will still get a "not enought memory" error from most Programs on a G5 with 8GB RAM running Panther if it needs maybe 3GB.
Windows XP 64bit edition apparently will give each process a whole 4GB contiguous memory area...but it got delayed again.

(i want Lightwave for AMD64 Linux... :D)