PDA

View Full Version : boat hull simulation "fluid dynamics" for drag

Wade
01-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Just wondering if there is something that can be adapted in LW 2018 or older that can do a simulation of low pressure / high pressure created by a boat hull as it moves through a fluid -
This would need to be for the most part physically correct something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfCP769C_U I know a long shot but I have found some tools in LW CAD like the area tool to be very useful for real world engineering work. :)

So any ideas?

jwiede
01-27-2018, 06:04 PM
Why not just use OpenFOAM & VisualCFD?

4dartist
02-01-2018, 10:00 AM
That would be pretty sweet. I do a lot of animations with boats and other watercraft. I tend to do a lot of image maps to drive displacements of the wake that moves with the boat. It definitely doesn't support anything except moving forward.

Wade
02-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Why not just use OpenFOAM & VisualCFD?

Sure - learning curve / new software... BUT not a bad idea. LWCAD has some great tools but one in particular has made the purchase worth while for me and that is the volume tool. I have used in for earth moving in retention areas and to get the amount of bronzed needed for a lost wax cast. So my point is that plugins made in or for Lightwave are helpful and for me easy when working inside of something I already know to some degree.