PDA

View Full Version : Rulers in Modeler

Dan Ritchie
01-26-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm building a number of trees, and I'm thinking, it should would be helpful to have rulers in Modeler, to get a quick guide for how tall each one should be, at a glance.

Farhad_azer
01-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Ctrl + e ?

Wade
01-26-2018, 02:42 PM
or just create a plain / boxes or whatever and clone up every foot or ten and set material to 50% +- transparent and have it as a reference or place in a background layer..

Dan Ritchie
01-26-2018, 03:06 PM
It'd sure be useful to just see how relatively large something is against a traditional ruler, complete with numbers on it.

I know this mockup isn't correct, but the idea anyway...139781

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2018, 03:13 PM
That last pic had this thought pop up: use the grid.
I use it all the time to ascertain whether a student has built something to scale, or not.

Or as others have suggested, make your own.

I agree that it would be useful.
Robert

MonroePoteet
01-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Another possibility would be to build an object with multiple nested boxes at your desired intervals and origin, say 1x1x1m, 2x2x2m, ... 10x10x10m all centered at (0,0,0) and use F7 to place that in the background as a reference. Sample object attached.

And, as Farhad suggested, the Detail=>Measure Tool (CTRL-e) can be used for more detailed measurements.

mTp

P.S. re-reading this thread, my recommendation is exactly what Wade suggested earlier.

BeeVee
01-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Alternatively, use the Axis Scale tool to see what size your object is and to be able to make it exactly the size you want as need be (good if you buy models that are odd sizes).

B

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively, use the Axis Scale tool to see what size your object is and to be able to make it exactly the size you want as need be (good if you buy models that are odd sizes).

B
PS. You know that you can scale the view at any moment, so those rulers would need to scale as well - so much redrawing... ;)

Danner
01-26-2018, 06:29 PM
or you could get LWCAD...

Wade
01-26-2018, 08:00 PM
A little different but doing an of Houston that recently flooded I created a pole with 1"-100' on it in 6" increments. It was then cloned moved around to points on the ground plain that had been mapped to elevations via a grayscale bump map. End of the story it worked very well to verify that the grey scale was given us a true representation of the elevation at any given point.

gar26lw
01-26-2018, 08:22 PM
pictrix reSize would do a nice job of setting and adjusting sizes. interactive in the perspective viewport too.

unfortunately it is now dead as lw is x64 only.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/resize/

Asticles
01-27-2018, 05:50 AM
I suggest you to test Modify->Transform->Absolute size, it gives you the real size of the object and you can scale it proportionally giving one dimension or in only one edge.

Very good tool.

Regards

erikals
01-27-2018, 11:03 AM
pictrix had/have nice plugins, but for this, do what Asticles says, use Absolute size.

and yep, some kind of ruler function would be alright.

for now, i use a background layer.

prometheus
01-27-2018, 11:47 AM
pictrix reSize would do a nice job of setting and adjusting sizes. interactive in the perspective viewport too.

Absolute size is essential for me, I have moved it out of more list, and set it to have itīs own button in the transform tab, if you want to scale it all uniformly, set absolute size values to locked, and whatever size you set as a single value in eitehr y-x-z axis, it will scale the others uniformly.
As for the new lightwave 2018, make sure you have a 32 bit installment as well, it really helps, for those newbies...without any 32 bit versions, tough luck..they should ask for a 32 bit older versions if they can :) especially since modeler had so little attention, it would be nice of newtek to cover their..B, and provide lightwave 2015 as well, with 32 bit versions.

jboudreau
01-29-2018, 09:00 AM
It'd sure be useful to just see how relatively large something is against a traditional ruler, complete with numbers on it.

I know this mockup isn't correct, but the idea anyway...139781

absolute size like others have said is fantastic, Also the grid works well, if you have your grid set to 10m then each square on your grid is 10m so your tree in your scene would be 100m high. You can also use the measurement tool as well, pick a point on the bottom of your tree and pick one on the top and it will give you the height in the y axis.

Hope this helps
Jason

jbrookes
01-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Absolute size is essential for me, I have moved it out of more list, and set it to have itīs own button in the transform tab, if you want to scale it all uniformly, set absolute size values to locked, and whatever size you set as a single value in eitehr y-x-z axis, it will scale the others uniformly.
As for the new lightwave 2018, make sure you have a 32 bit installment as well, it really helps, for those newbies...without any 32 bit versions, tough luck..they should ask for a 32 bit older versions if they can :) especially since modeler had so little attention, it would be nice of newtek to cover their..B, and provide lightwave 2015 as well, with 32 bit versions.

You have a 32-bit installer for LW2018 in your account? All I have listed is the 64-bit version.

RudySchneider
01-29-2018, 06:23 PM
It's my understanding that 2018 only comes in the 64-bit flavor.

gar26lw
01-30-2018, 01:53 AM

If I could just point out this.

https://youtu.be/hSPdOCFBGpo

this is kind of what Pictrix Resize did and this functionality is now missing in x64 Lightwave, with the lack of x32 support.

if you have a look at the pictrix tool

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/ReSize/index.html

the ability to move the pivot point around, with snapping was invaluable.

gave the same functionality as being able to move the pivot point in maya and the pivot options in modo but in a very quick and easy temporary way, with snapping.

If anyone feels up to it, I'd love to see that tool recreated for x64.

And yeah, I have LWcad. Pictrix resize is better. I did show Victor this tool and ask if something similar could be in LWcad in the future.

prometheus
02-01-2018, 04:37 AM
You have a 32-bit installer for LW2018 in your account? All I have listed is the 64-bit version.

No..you missunderstood that, I ment that Everyone should have a 32 bit lightwave version installed, as we should know of, 2018 is only 64 bit, ergo..install an older lightwave version.
and what I further said emphisized that everyone who doesnīt have any older version...tough luck, and I also said newtek could provide an older lightwave version along with 2018, Especially since they had to brake many things.

BeeVee
02-01-2018, 05:36 AM
Have you guys tried Axis Scale? It does work very nicely. Here's a random OBJ brought into Modeler. As usual, its scale is somewhat off.

B

gar26lw
02-01-2018, 06:39 AM

Have you guys tried Axis Scale? It does work very nicely. Here's a random OBJ brought into Modeler.
B

that’s cool but see how pictrix resize has the bounding volume displayed and if you try it, you will find that you don’t need to zoom in to get an accurate point to scale from as you scale from the boundary.
observe the ability to move and define the center point to scale from, modifiable at any time.

makes it very easy and fast to use. it would be good if lwg can do a copy of this x32 plugin.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139869&d=1517492136

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139868&d=1517492136

jwiede
02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
and what I further said emphisized that everyone who doesnīt have any older version...tough luck, and I also said newtek could provide an older lightwave version along with 2018, Especially since they had to brake many things.

Practically, that quickly becomes an ongoing maintenance headache, because it only works longer-term if they also keep LW2015.3 maintained / operational. From here on there's no reason to expect 32-bit versions to come back, so continuing to offer LW2015 incurs ongoing support costs. From a business perspective, I completely understand why Newtek might not consider any sort of ongoing LW2015 commitment practical, due to those ongoing support and/or maintenance costs.

A decent alternative solution would be to encourage/subsidize 64-bit replacement plugins, perhaps even setting up some kind of "user bounty" system. That approach is substantially cheaper in the long-term versus having to maintain LW2015.3 longer-term. Unfortunately, IT/web-presence is historically one of Newtek's "weaker" areas, so setting up a modern, complex web-based system for microtransaction-based bounties and so forth is also likely beyond what Newtek consider "business-feasible", at least for Lightwave.

Still, worth suggesting.

prometheus
02-03-2018, 05:39 AM
Practically, that quickly becomes an ongoing maintenance headache, because it only works longer-term if they also keep LW2015.3 maintained / operational. From here on there's no reason to expect 32-bit versions to come back, so continuing to offer LW2015 incurs ongoing support costs. From a business perspective, I completely understand why Newtek might not consider any sort of ongoing LW2015 commitment practical, due to those ongoing support and/or maintenance costs.

A decent alternative solution would be to encourage/subsidize 64-bit replacement plugins, perhaps even setting up some kind of "user bounty" system. That approach is substantially cheaper in the long-term versus having to maintain LW2015.3 longer-term. Unfortunately, IT/web-presence is historically one of Newtek's "weaker" areas, so setting up a modern, complex web-based system for microtransaction-based bounties and so forth is also likely beyond what Newtek consider "business-feasible", at least for Lightwave.

Still, worth suggesting.

They donīt need to provide additional 2015 support, they do however need to be clear about stating that..they do not give 2015 support, just put it up on everyones account..that is the cost they have, itīs just a backup approach..actually giving people more power.

Further on..any such eventual cost, wouldnīt that be obscured by actually showcasing good options for those who lack these tools when they buy in to 2018 only?
That is not to say you should still encourage work to cover many 32 bit tools to transcend as 64 bit tools.

And apart from the 32 bit lacking plugins, this would also cover an area where some people may want to use a different renderer, meanwhile the new Lightwave struggles with itīs own refinement to something Absolutely much much better in All areas than a previous version.

I know I just canīt work on the old 2015 62 bit only, I have to many 32 bit model plugins that wontīwork in 64 bit, so for me I wil be using both 2015 32...together with 2018 layout...If I decide to upgrade.

But...sure I would rather see Lighwave development to a higher level than 2018 is now, as well as seing other tools taking over from old 32 bit plugins, so in essence I agree with you..but then you got to consider the time and the history, is this something we really believe will happen...and in a decent time frame?

Got me thinking, offer a special prize of lightwave 2015 like a 100 $, then if upgrading...some coupon but at the same price up for others, it would be of extrem value for money, yet not delivering the latest tech..but a sneak peak at what it can do..albeit a lot of rewrite has been made.
Ps...donīt let my profile name status scare you :)

JohnMarchant
02-03-2018, 07:29 AM
No..you missunderstood that, I ment that Everyone should have a 32 bit lightwave version installed, as we should know of, 2018 is only 64 bit, ergo..install an older lightwave version.

To be honest i have not had a 32bit version of LW installed for some time. The only 32 bit plugins that i really miss are OG Taiki and Hikari as i recall, they were superb plugins and i have not seen better in LW, i really wish they were 64Bit.

prometheus
02-04-2018, 08:39 AM
To be honest i have not had a 32bit version of LW installed for some time. The only 32 bit plugins that i really miss are OG Taiki and Hikari as i recall, they were superb plugins and i have not seen better in LW, i really wish they were 64Bit.

Fair enough, I was probably to biased upon what I myself felt necessary to have, others might not have the need for that.