PDA

View Full Version : Instancing issues with 2018 - distance to null(s) via gradient is broken

adk
01-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Hi folks,

If anyone is driving instance weight with distance to null(s) via a gradient it seems that the entire thing is broken in 2018.

In 2015 you can layer up multiple nulls in the weight texture with a gradient-distance to object option and use the various blending options to your hearts content.

In 2018 only the one null comes through as you can see in the gif...

That's pretty broken from my perspective so just a heads up.

I'll flag this with NT / LW3DG in whatever the new procedure / system is.

Both scenes attached for whoever wants to test this.

Cheers

ALSO : Why is my droplet visible in 2015 (the central object) yet in 2018 its completely invisible and only a bounding box ? Both scenes have exactly the same setup / flags ?

Sensei
01-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Forget about traditional layering/texturing system,
go to Nodes tab, enable them,
and set up Math > Vector > Distance, 1st input from Item Info, pick up Null item, World Position,
then to Gradient,
then to Weight input in nodes..

adk
01-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Forget traditional layering/texturing system,
go to Nodes tab, enable them,
and set up Math > Vector > Distance to Item Info Null World Position,
then to Gradient,
then to Weight input in nodes..

Thanks Sensei. Yeah I 100% realise I can drive it through nodes.
But it would still be good for this to work as expected when I'm moving scenes across from 2015 into 2018.

Surely that's still a bug regardless of the alternative - nodal approach. Would be good to get that confirmed either way.
Seems under-hood changes affected more than simply rendering and materials.

gar26lw
01-25-2018, 06:40 PM
id rather set that up in the layers node as shown in the original post. simpler, faster.

prometheus
01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
id rather set that up in the layers node as shown in the original post. simpler, faster.

True...that is sort of what worries me now that is actually taking place.. with the change of ways to work, and having to enter nodal for most things...that is what I was worried about previously when nodes initially was implemented, if they can not provide interface built around nodes, with controls to acess these stuff in easier ways rather than building things up each time, then I will be really sad and discouraged to work with Lightwave.

Sensei has however suggested future enhancement for nodes to become compiled and more easier to work with.

I wonder if this still works, will have to check if discovery edition is capable of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtHeMFTENsA

Sensei
01-30-2018, 01:05 PM
You can build your node setups, put them to Compound (optional), and Edit > Export Selected to some file on disk.. then whenever you need the same setup, simply import from file..

JamesCurtis
01-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't it be better if they could be saved directly to the Preset Shelf?

gar26lw
01-31-2018, 07:48 AM
True...that is sort of what worries me now that is actually taking place.. with the change of ways to work, and having to enter nodal for most things...that is what I was worried about previously when nodes initially was implemented, if they can not provide interface built around nodes, with controls to acess these stuff in easier ways rather than building things up each time, then I will be really sad and discouraged to work with Lightwave.

Sensei has however suggested future enhancement for nodes to become compiled and more easier to work with.

I wonder if this still works, will have to check if discovery edition is capable of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtHeMFTENsA

i was hoping newtek were going to have stacked layers with specified channels and blending modes, such as diffuse set to overlay, like modo does for simple. images can be drag and dropped in from external browsers and apps for speed, in addition to the node system, for complex stuff.

jwiede
01-31-2018, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't it be better if they could be saved directly to the Preset Shelf?

The preset shelf doesn't really show enough info to differentiate between more than a few such entries (name just isn't enough), nor does it offer useful filtering/searching. It's okay for situations where you might have up to say a dozen of something (within a category) where names (and thumbnail imgs where viable) offer decent differentiation, but as a general "content browser" it quickly becomes a confusing mess of similar entries.

Ability to deal with lots of different, varied types of assets/content, with rich metadata, searching/filtering, etc. is what drove most other packages to implement asset library / content browser functionality. Newtek is long overdue for adding similar to LW, they're quite "direct" to implement.