PDA

View Full Version : NDI POV Camera would be awesome!

avkid6345
01-25-2018, 09:19 AM
I think I'm still dreaming at this point, but can you imagine if someone developed a small NDI POV type camera (like the Panasonic AG-UCK20GJ) that could be powered over ethernet and send video over an NDI feed. I can envision sticking a couple in a drum cage or on a piano/keyboard for a concert, I could see running one to each goal post during a sporting event. Having one cable provide power and signal would be awesome, especially if it could be built into a tiny form factor. If Newtek or Panasonic came out with something like this, I could see so many uses and would probably end up buying several of them. I realize you could hook the cameras up to a Connect Spark now, but I'm thinking about a standalone camera... One Ethernet cable between camera head and POE network switch, no other equipment or power supply needed.

JPulera
01-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Hi Cameron,

PTZ Optics is in the process of adding NDI to their robotic cameras, and in a recent webinar, I believe they said they'd also be adding NDI to their box cameras at a future date. Note this will be an additional cost on any of their models. I don't know when/if this might happen, but check out the PTZ Optics ZCAM models - https://ptzoptics.com/zcams/

The ZCAM units do currently offer PoE, so yes the addition of NDI would be great!

Thanks

Jeff

livepad
01-25-2018, 11:23 AM
I think I'm still dreaming at this point, but can you imagine if someone developed a small NDI POV type camera (like the Panasonic AG-UCK20GJ) that could be powered over ethernet and send video over an NDI feed. I can envision sticking a couple in a drum cage or on a piano/keyboard for a concert, I could see running one to each goal post during a sporting event. Having one cable provide power and signal would be awesome, especially if it could be built into a tiny form factor. If Newtek or Panasonic came out with something like this, I could see so many uses and would probably end up buying several of them. I realize you could hook the cameras up to a Connect Spark now, but I'm thinking about a standalone camera... One Ethernet cable between camera head and POE network switch, no other equipment or power supply needed.

It might be a little premature, but I am told that the VyooCam product (in development) runs the NewTek NDI Camera app for Android. We have been helping the developers with NDI advice.

Haven't seen it myself, but you may find this of interest. VYOOCAM (http://vyoocam.com)

http://vyoocam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/yolod-debeli-1024x335.jpg

SBowie
01-25-2018, 12:11 PM
One Ethernet cable between camera head and POE network switch, no other equipment or power supply needed.Are these things really that much smaller than a PTZ1 that it makes a difference, or is cost the factor?

JPulera
01-26-2018, 11:00 AM
The ZCAM units have dimensions of 2.8W x 2.4H x 5.94D (8.25 w/ incl. lens)

Cost is $499, although if/when NDI is added I'm sure that would increase the cost. But if PTZ is not required, just a fixed camera, this might be a good option if NDI gets enabled.

Thanks

avkid6345
01-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Are these things really that much smaller than a PTZ1 that it makes a difference, or is cost the factor?

I haven't put my hands on the PTZ1 so I don't really have an idea of it's size, but I'm envisioning more of a fixed (non PTZ) lipstick or box type camera with a wide fov. Something that can fit into tight or remote spaces. Cost isn't really a factor here, however I wouldn't want to pay a premium for PTZ when I'm looking for a fixed camera position. This thread has been helpful to see what others have been looking at for similar needs.

SBowie
01-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Cool, just curious as the one you reference seems to be bigger than a lipstick cam, which is more what I thought you had in mind.