PDA

View Full Version : AlembicMotionController- how to bake to keyframes?

rustyippolito
01-23-2018, 10:14 PM
We have a Houdini camera imported to lightwave 2015.3 via Alembic. All is well, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to bake the camera's motion to keyframes. All the usual techniques for baking out key frame data yield nothing but flat curves at zero. Anyone know of a workaround?

Sensei
01-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Did you try Graph Editor,
then Keys > Bake Selected Curves.. ?

If yes, how about make null,
then parent them to whatever you like to bake.
So it's in the same position, with the same rotation (set up Node Editor in Motion Options to copy item parameters).
Then use Keys > Bake Selected Curves..

sudac20
02-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Bump

I have finally made the move to Houdini (wow it is awesome) and would like to composite some Lightwave shots with Houdini but can't the cameras to match. Any suggestions?

rustyippolito
02-19-2018, 12:01 PM
None of these techniques worked. It is like the Alembic motion plugin on the camera is not getting passed thru to anything. I cannot get any data from the camera. All i can do is parent things to the camera. And if i make an exact replica of the camera and parent the new cam to the alembic cam, they are different FOV as well, so the plugin is obviously doing some wanky stuff to the cameras parameters as well... If anyone has a way of getting this to work PLEASE HELP!

thanks

Sensei
02-19-2018, 12:52 PM
1) make null item
2) parent null to your camera, clear position.
3) add motion modifier "Motion Baker" in mode in which it generates new channels.
4) play anim

You should see positions etc. are in these newly made channels every frame.

Sensei
02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Once you will have positions/rotations done,
you can move to other camera settings.
You have to use node Camera Info (<=LW 2015.3) or Camera (in LW 2018.x), get interesting stuff, and put it to some null item, in position etc. (using Make Vector)
then repeat baking like above.

Then read that info, in final item also using nodes.

sudac20
02-19-2018, 03:03 PM
The motion of the camera works fine from Lightwave 2018 to Houdini for me but the POV is off. The camera settings are the same in both programs but the shots do not match in post? Sensei were you able to match the cameras in post?