PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave for game levels

beramic
12-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi,
are any amateur game developers out there that use Lightwave to create game levels of any sort (buildings with rooms and hallways, outdoors environments etc..), or is Lightwave used only to create game characters with animations? If game levels can be built with Lightwave, is there any exporter to .bsp format or any other format used by a lot of games? Am I better off using any of the several level editors shipped with the more popular FPS around?

Chrysolithos
12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I agree, I'd like to be able to make some levels for halflife using tools I am already familiar with. But I did find this.
Unreal Tournament tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/UT2003/index.html)

Have fun.

beramic
12-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi,
this is useful. I have another question: the tutorial shows how to place objects in an existing level (I suppose made with UnrealEd). Is it possible to make the level with LW and then import it to UnrealEd for compilation (or I need a .BSP exporter of some sort)?
What about animations, is it possible to import them into UnrealEd from LW?
Thanks

jin choung
12-24-2003, 01:51 AM
no.

not possible for most commercial engines. there is something on flay that says that it cuts up environments for a third party engine but it's not any of the biggies.

also, it is much better to create an actual level in their editor if they have one. chances are, it requires very specific details that only their own editor would be equipped to deal with.

jin

p.s. most levels are generated en-toto in max or maya either.

acocq
12-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi,

you might want to check
Greenbriar Studio (http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/)

He's offering some plugins that are of interest to game developers.

In particular, there is a plugin that exports to the "standard" .MAP format. I've tested this with 3D GameStudio, getting a simple level from modeller via layout into the game engine.

Cheers,
Andreas

mkiii
01-02-2004, 01:23 AM
As Jin says, Max (or possibly GMax) or the propriatry editors are your best bet.

As a game artist, I do use LW for character & other asset creation, as well as some pre-rendered visualisations. A workmate uses LW to create & map levels. Unfortunately, both of us need to load our creations into Max to do a final conversion to our homespun game engine & tools (mostly for PS2 these days).
Everyone else in the company uses Max unfortunately.

tmdag
01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
If game levels can be built with Lightwave, is there any exporter to .bsp format or any other format used by a lot of games? Am I better off using any of the several level editors shipped with the more popular FPS around?

You can build up with Lightwave everything, but there is one thing... Lightwave is tool for everything mostlly rendering it does not have any special tools that would speed up modeling for games(eg think about making room - you have make model of room, cut wholes for windows, doors, UV maps, add surfaces and uvmaps etc. tools make it possibble mutch quicer, like - click here and add door from collection, click on wall and add texture from collection, where you don't have to make uv and set up surfaces).
That's why most of companies have their own game tools eg for building levels where u can just add Lightwave objects (eg doors or windows etc).

Also, many game engines have their own File format, so when You ask about suport for such game You should ask author of game level editor about it.

Yes, most of companies uses MAX, one of reasons is that NewTek have VERY poor developper support! they do not write about maaaany things in lightwave but Descreet does.

dglenn
01-05-2004, 07:05 AM
I have used LW to develop simulation models and MES building (buildings that virtual players can romp around and interact in). Not quite gaming, but same idea. The universal modeling format for simulation (for DOD and NASA) is Open Flight (or .flt ) format. So I have to convert any models to Open Flight (via 3D studio max) using Creator (by Multigen). Needless to say that stuff gets lost in the translation, but its the best that I've found so far.

Note: there is a movement to develop a converter plug-in for Open Flight if anyone would like to get on board.

Note: I have the settings to port LW models to Max in a way that Creator can import them. It is not perfect (I got to figure out the right scale), but if they would like it, just ask and I'll post it here and if you can improve upon it, more power to you!

D Glenn

tmdag
01-05-2004, 06:09 PM
everyting depands on engine ... Some of them support lw (eg. doom3), some of them support other open format and some of them have their own.. Mostlly the last option is used