PDA

View Full Version : Sea Quest

Dan Ritchie
01-20-2018, 04:43 PM
I was looking at the "Sea Quest" scene from the LW content folder.

I noticed right around the area of the tail fin, the render stops almost dead in its tracks. I'm wondering if this is a scene issue, or if its my machine picking that moment to start throttling. I'm on a 15 watt laptop, and it's bound to throttle after a while, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else notice this in the seaquest scene?

Qexit
01-20-2018, 05:48 PM
I was looking at the "Sea Quest" scene from the LW content folder.

I noticed right around the area of the tail fin, the render stops almost dead in its tracks. I'm wondering if this is a scene issue, or if its my machine picking that moment to start throttling. I'm on a 15 watt laptop, and it's bound to throttle after a while, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else notice this in the seaquest scene?As it happens, I loaded and rendered that scene myself earlier today....and noticed the exact same thing. The final 3 seconds or so, actually seemed to take about 3 minutes. I have a dual Xeon PC with a nice beefy power supply, so throttling isn't usually a problem :-)

JamesCurtis
01-20-2018, 11:35 PM
This happened on my i7 5820 6 core machine as well. Changed render resolutions and adaptive sampling settings and it's still the same. Not sure why it is happening.

zapper1998
01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
wow what a scene ugh..... lots of ram wow.... looked at scene stats ok lots of images oh ok

yup last 3 frames where a bugger, water cooler throttled up a bit

JamesCurtis
01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
I was rendering only 1 frame of the scene, and noticed the render was taking quite a long time trying to get through the last "estimated time remaining" 3 seconds. Took nearly 4 minutes to finally complete. Just to be clear.

Dan Ritchie
01-22-2018, 01:01 PM
I set the render subdivision levels from 6 to 2, and that seems to have made all the difference. Scene renders the first pass in a few seconds now.
I noticed memory usage was going up to 5 gigs.

Qexit
01-22-2018, 01:03 PM
I was rendering only 1 frame of the scene, and noticed the render was taking quite a long time trying to get through the last "estimated time remaining" 3 seconds. Took nearly 4 minutes to finally complete. Just to be clear.Exactly the same scenario here. I just ran a 'quick' F9 render of a single frame.

Dan Ritchie
01-23-2018, 09:04 AM
I think it was just going into virtual memory. 6 subdivisions is a lot on a complex model.

jboudreau
01-23-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure what version of lightwave you guys are using 2018.0 or 2018.0.1

I just rendered that scene in 2018.0 and no issues what so ever. It rendered in 13 minutes 55 seconds on a 8 thread laptop

In 2018.0.1 I have the same issue. Around the 80% mark the render just stalls, The little blue boxes stop anti aliasing and just sits there as the render time increases. After 20 minutes it still said there was more than 5 minutes left and that just kept rising. It finally finished in 28 minutes 40 Seconds - It completely stalled on the last 5 seconds.

2018.0 does not have this issue definitely a bug in 2018.0.1

Thanks,
Jason

JamesCurtis
01-23-2018, 08:21 PM
I would suggest you report it using the bug report system in LW, and give them render times and tell them what's happening. You should also mention that others are having the same issue, and point them to this thread if you want.

DonJMyers
01-24-2018, 03:00 PM
I've noticed that, for whatever reason, that scene takes up a LOT of ram.

rustythe1
02-10-2018, 08:10 AM
I found the fix for this, is related to a bug i have posted in the forum, for this scene setting the render tile to 64 fixed the problem, with the scene i had issues it had to be 128, but going higher and the problem returns so you have to set the tile size to the exact one, the problem is the issue changes with the camera position so if your doing an animation you wont hit the problem until a certain frame, and potentially 2 frames of the same animation could require different tiles to counter the problem!!!!

kolby
02-11-2018, 01:16 AM
Hi, I'm playing with this scene. I'm noticed same problem. Renderer always stuck in area selected by limited region. I found there some polygon mess in the model and repaired it. It helps little bit but still whole image takes 27min to render.
Interesting thing is that if you render only this problematic area with limited region, it renders very fast without any delay, noticed prviously. Now, the bigger limited region is selected, the longer time renderer starts to stuck in that problematic area, but it is still very fast until you select almost whole screen.
Another test I did was render left half of the screen with limited region and then right half. Both takes around 6min and I didn't noticed any delay in that area. Pretty weird.

rustythe1
02-11-2018, 03:08 AM
change the render tile as i said, it will render fine when set to 64, there is a render bug, tech have told me it is fixed and will be fixed in the next release, i have the same bug in about 50% of my scenes changing it to 64 on this scene, it only takes a few mins to render, on my scenes i had to experiment, some times 64, some times 128 to get it not to hang

kolby
02-12-2018, 12:11 AM
change the render tile as i said, it will render fine when set to 64, there is a render bug, tech have told me it is fixed and will be fixed in the next release, i have the same bug in about 50% of my scenes changing it to 64 on this scene, it only takes a few mins to render, on my scenes i had to experiment, some times 64, some times 128 to get it not to hang

Changing tile size to 64 or 128 did nothing.

OFF
02-12-2018, 12:48 AM
2018.0.1 46 HT (2 threads for browsing) - no problems.
Tile = 512. Time = 4 m 02s.
Tile = 128. Time = 4 m 12s.
Tile = 32. Time = 4 m 25s.
Layout 'eat' around 11 Gb of ram during rendering this scene.

rustythe1
02-12-2018, 02:13 AM
yes, you need to try all the tile sizes as if you read the manual it partly relates to your hardware, so you will have to test each size and probably only one will be good, it will be different for each person, when you test this scene you can see it hang slightly in the first pass so you don't have to do the full render, if not try removing the two tubular greebles on the back and see if it renders quick, hopefully the fix will be along any time now.

OFF
02-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Hmm. When i was trying render animation sequence with Tile=512 rendertime become 12 min/frame. it was only 4 min just before in 'static' scene.

rustythe1
02-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Yes, that's what I was getting at in the other thread I started on this problem it seems just moving the camera can change what tile size you need, if this is so then its a big problem for animations, even if the main part of this bug gets fixed, from the way I see it this render tile render method seems like it could be very problematic for animations as even the manual says tile size is dependent on scene and hardware, and your scene can change frame by frame,

rustythe1
02-12-2018, 01:23 PM
I've also noticed f9 and f10 render times seem to differ even in the way the tiles move, and the way they move seems to change render times