PDA

View Full Version : Black buffer output??? Direct, Indirect, Raw_RGB

paulhart
01-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Black buffer output??? Direct, Indirect, Raw_RGB. What's up with this. I don't remember having this much difficulty before, but my buffers are producing black output. The Final Render looks fine, Object_ID, Shadow_ID, Shadow, Edges, are all fine, and... my Depth buffer is solid white. How to set the Depth to respect the first Object in frame and the Distant point, it shouldn't be difficult, semi-automatic?? I have tweaked any number of settings, even opened the "Star Fighter" cel shaded scene from 2018 content, same deal. I went in and checked, my NVidia GeForce 760 drivers and up to date.
I did my due diligence search of the Online docs, Google, different search terms, not coming up with any solutions. Grrrr!!
Thank you any and all who have some wisdom.
Paul

Snosrap
01-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Yep - I need help here too.

rsfd
01-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Don't know if the "Star Fighter" scene is the "Cel_Plane.lws" from 2018 content, but probably a little help:
For Cel Shading, there are special buffers (Cel-Diffuse, Cel-Specular) and additionally, Refraction would be needed in that Cel_Plane scene.

I do also get a pure white Depth buffer, even with "Utilities > Additional Plugins > Range Finder" applied to the camera and Depth buffer set to a range of 5-20m (what should be ok for that scene).
Anyway, there is information in the Depth buffer: you can see the different values, if you click-drag the cursor in the Image Viewer. Also, if you switch the display color space from sRGB to Cineon, you will see the Depth buffer content.
According to the docs, I also would actually expect a different "look" of the Depth buffer (esp. with Range Finder applied), but atm, I'm having no idea.

paulhart
01-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Here is a screen dump of the Render Output folders for this test project, in which you can see the files "peaking out" of each folder. The 'final' images in at bottom for reference. Notice that in this case, with a lot of adjusting, I was able to get the Depth pass to be something other than white or black. It shouldn't be such as guessing game, some button to click that sets the range to a Normalized value for the near object and distant plane??? Also note that the Diffuse_Direct, Diffuse_Indirect and the Raw_
RGB !!! are all black, RGB??? really. I can't be the only person?? How do some of you break down a shot for compositing without these components?? If you are one of those going "Oh, look at this beautiful 2018 render," take a look at the Passes output and see if it makes sense?? Is this a bug? Surely someone with studio experience is generating passes???

Snosrap
01-21-2018, 11:10 AM
As far as the depth map I did discover that when you go to the "Buffers" panel and select "Depth" you get "Depth Options" with some near and far sliders. - I'm sure you've seen those yourself :) - But in order to see those adjustments in VPR you need to go to the VPR panel and click on the "Normalize Display" button. Once clicked it's easy to make and see adjustments.

paulhart
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Snosrap, Yes, I did see that and went back in and adjusted the parameters and ran the Render, and Depth worked fine, but the other three Buffers are still black. The Normalize setting is odd for the Full Render as it gets really weird, but it does allow setting the distance for the Depth Buffer. I am still waiting for someone brilliant to explain, or confirm the Black Output in Buffers. How do you get a Raw_RGB output, when it's black??? Anybody???

MarcusM
01-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Snosrap, Yes, I did see that and went back in and adjusted the parameters and ran the Render, and Depth worked fine, but the other three Buffers are still black. The Normalize setting is odd for the Full Render as it gets really weird, but it does allow setting the distance for the Depth Buffer. I am still waiting for someone brilliant to explain, or confirm the Black Output in Buffers. How do you get a Raw_RGB output, when it's black??? Anybody???

In my opinion direct, indirect and raw RGB buffer not working correct with standard, proncipled and cell shading. In every case, some result is black etc.
It should be tested precisely. Report a bug.

rsfd
01-22-2018, 03:29 AM
@Snosrap:
Nice finding for the Depth Buffer. Thank you for that!
From the docs I had the impression that the Depth Buffer would automatically normalized for VPR display).

As for the Buffers themselves: The Renderer and Materials have changed significantly. Does nobody expect changes to the Buffer system too?
Are those Buffers really black, or do they only look black?
(I'm getting data in RawRGB, Diffuse In/Direct for the Principled Shader. Cel-Diffuse and Cel-Specular for Cell shading. Here, with Cel-Shading, RawRGB, Diffuse In/Direct only hold data in the Alpha Channel. And I guess that is intended).

pmwhite
01-22-2018, 06:50 AM
I don't know if its related, but in 2018.0.1 My renders come out black as does VPR if I change adaptive sampling settings, it appears to be a bug. I reported my issue to Newtek on 17th, I would report this problem if you are in doubt.

rsfd
01-22-2018, 11:02 AM
^
cannot verify this issue: I've increased and decreased both Threshold and Filter Radius values and also turned off AS completely in a simple test scene. All Buffers were constantly ok.
(This is on LW-Mac, but I tend to expect more issues on this platform as on Windows…)

Sensei
01-22-2018, 04:33 PM
My buffers are full of dots/trash. Like I showed in Global Ambient Occlusion pass video in other thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155808-LightWave-2018-0-1-Global-Ambient-Occlusion-Full-HD-video)..

Snosrap
01-22-2018, 06:19 PM
My buffers are full of dots/trash. Like I showed in Global Ambient Occlusion pass video in other thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155808-LightWave-2018-0-1-Global-Ambient-Occlusion-Full-HD-video)..

Just tried what you did in your video and mine turned out fine using 2018.0.1

Sensei
01-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Just tried what you did in your video and mine turned out fine using 2018.0.1

Did you use the same scene as I.. ?
It's scene from this forum, attached to post.
It only appears in F9 render, in VPR all is fine.

Edit:
I tried HDTV 1920x1080 resolution, rendered fine,
Switched to VGA 640x480, rendered wrong.

Snosrap
01-22-2018, 08:12 PM

Edit:

No, I didn't. Where would I find that?

Sensei
01-22-2018, 08:58 PM

It was attached to one of LW 2018 threads this month.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139330&d=1515604464

MarcusM
01-23-2018, 12:43 AM
It was attached to one of LW 2018 threads this month.

In your scene AO look terrible, no matter what settings will be changed. Scene was created and saved in 2018 or 2018.0.1?

In scene created directly in 2018.0.1 AO looks ok. After turning on GI there is visible bad quality, more graines.

Try set samples on 0 in Occlusion node ;D

MichaelT
01-23-2018, 01:42 AM
I use something more along these lines (I'm still experimenting):

MarcusM
01-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Confirm. With bigger resolution than 640x480 Occlusion looks ok in Sensei scene.

Sensei
01-23-2018, 08:39 AM
It's not just Occlusion. If you will plug f.e. 3D Textures > Bricks, it's all full of random dots/trash. But with higher resolution, it's gone.

ps. Somebody with more patience/time, or installed Tortoise SVN file comparer ;) is asked to check both .lws to find differences..
If you will find some difference, copy it from 'wrong' version to 'good' version, and try it.

Sensei
01-23-2018, 08:46 AM
In your scene AO look terrible, no matter what settings will be changed. Scene was created and saved in 2018 or 2018.0.1?

It's not my scene. It's scene somebody attached to show some other problem in one of LW 2018 threads.

MichaelT
01-23-2018, 01:02 PM
I use something more along these lines (I'm still experimenting):

This is the cleanest I've gotten this so far... but enough playing with this.
I'm certain someone knows how to speed this up significantly. But all I can say is that the Denoiser in Blender.. is doing pretty well by comparison.
So some extra work in that area would be a bit high on my list of priorities at least.

Snosrap
01-23-2018, 04:15 PM

Edit:

Yep - same as you. Have you sent in a bug report?

Sensei
01-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Yep - same as you. Have you sent in a bug report?

Nope. Be my guest.. :)