PDA

View Full Version : Memory doesn't go above 3GB

Schwyhart
01-19-2018, 11:52 AM
My system has 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, but LW 2018 doesn't go above 3Gb of memory usage. Is this because LW doesn't need more than this, or is there a limit to what it can use?

I saw the Facebook thread about changing Segment Memory in a CFG file, but some Devs have since chimed in that wit the new renderer Segment Memory has no affect on anything. The Devs have removed this in 2018.0.1 as a result.

So, I'm just curious...is this all LW needs for this particular scene (Memory usage is automated), or is LW somehow being restricted to only use up to 3Gbs?

DonJMyers
01-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Instead of segment memory the new LW has those little boxes during a render and you can adjust the size of the boxes to improve speed. I set my at 256. Huge amounts of ram might not speed up lw much as there is not a lot of throughput with swapping images out. BUT COMPOSITING can really benefit from the amount of RAM you have. Then you can load all frames in at once and shuffle them together in seconds without going to disk.

Schwyhart
01-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Do you use Automatic Multithreading?
I have a 6-core processor, so I'm assuming I'd set mine to 6...or tick Automatic Multithreading.

DonJMyers
01-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Wait ... are you running the 32 bit LW on a 64 bit system? It will have memory ceiling about the size you describe. Try making a ball in modeler with an insane amount of polys then load it into lw and see how much memory it takes up.

Schwyhart
01-19-2018, 01:15 PM
I thought 2018 was 64 bit only. Also, I'm on a Mac.

DonJMyers
01-19-2018, 01:30 PM
I thought 2018 was 64 bit only. Also, I'm on a Mac.

Oops, I forgot!

Sensei
01-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Application uses as much memory as it needs (allocates and frees unused).
It does not have to allocate entire memory you have installed, or even virtual one available.
(It would even slow down entire application)

If you want to check if everything is fine,
make sphere, toggle sub-patches,
and start using higher and higher sub-patch levels,
until it will be unusable.. ;)

You should see how application is reacting to user changing sub-patch level, taking more and more memory.. when app needs it.

ps. GB = Giga byte, Gb = Giga bit. Gbps = Giga bits per second.