PDA

View Full Version : if you are having a hard time with the 2018 render settings

gar26lw
01-18-2018, 03:18 PM
then watch this.

https://youtu.be/M2g_liH6FIU

itís not lightwave but it will explain all you need to know. same settings.

btw, i wish we had that multiplier readout. would go a long way to making things more understandable.

Exception
01-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Great video, thanks for posting.
Yeah that max readout would be great, and seemingly easy to implement. Can you send in a feature request? You have my support!

gar26lw
01-19-2018, 01:18 AM
Great video, thanks for posting.
Yeah that max readout would be great, and seemingly easy to implement. Can you send in a feature request? You have my support!

Yeah, will do. I really think that would alleviate a good few users troubles.

Edit - sent feature request and linked to this thread.

rustythe1
01-19-2018, 04:25 AM
well that was an interesting video, and it actually showed how the new LW engine almost seems like a reverse engineered from Arnold, take for example the new opaque setting in the surface editor, and also the normalize settings of lights, but it almost looks like there are lots of missing but important settings, such as the light exposure (he says you should increase this and not the brightness/intensity of the light itself)

MAUROCOR
01-22-2018, 11:05 AM
then watch this.

https://youtu.be/M2g_liH6FIU

it’s not lightwave but it will explain all you need to know. same settings.

btw, i wish we had that multiplier readout. would go a long way to making things more understandable.

Thank you very much, gar26wl! I will watch as soon I have some time. ;)

RebelHill
01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
it actually showed how the new LW engine almost seems like a reverse engineered from Arnold

I believe (I think), much of it is based on the methods described in here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0128006455/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b11V_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKI KX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=7CTXAH0FE6JZARSQTXY2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=42f3f559-e272-5fdf-8e89-72c62e7b62b8&pf_rd_i=3937

and certainly isn't the only renderer out there so inspired. Ofc, like most all renderers, its really just a way to try and solve...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_equation

and there are only so many variations on a theme possible.

jwiede
01-22-2018, 02:56 PM
well that was an interesting video, and it actually showed how the new LW engine almost seems like a reverse engineered from Arnold, take for example the new opaque setting in the surface editor, and also the normalize settings of lights, but it almost looks like there are lots of missing but important settings, such as the light exposure (he says you should increase this and not the brightness/intensity of the light itself)

Yeah, it's almost as if they didn't completely grasp the value of "split settings" the way other engines handle it (or didn't have time, though it's the kind of approach that's a LOT harder to "add later") -- it has to do with ensuring entity-level (camera/light/surface/mesh) variability/control while still enabling "useful" sets of render presets (read as performance-/resolution-adjustable). Vray's had similar for years and years now, and most other engines have moved or are moving to similar split-settings models.

By putting base values in presets and per-entity multipliers (or vice versa), the per-entity values can vary as needed to compensate for relative scene/content differences, leaving the preset(/global) settings for broadly controlling performance/resolution/quality axes.

gar26lw
01-22-2018, 03:29 PM
vray 3.6 and next looks sweet

jwiede
01-22-2018, 04:11 PM
vray 3.6 and next looks sweet

Yep, just picked up the VrayForC4D 3.6 upgrade (had 3.4 previously), looks very nice thus far. The Max beta version of Vray Next also looks really impressive! For the sheer amount of functionality added in 3.x, CG's done a great job of keeping UX and workflows efficient and manageable.

MichaelT
01-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I have 3.6 myself. Loving it.