PDA

View Full Version : Treebulation

Dan Ritchie
01-18-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm trying to make some tree geometries that look good, and I am not getting there.
I need to make assets for trees and foliage that I can then own the rights to and distribute with my own software.

This is my attempt with do so with DP Verdure, but it is not going well. All my branches turn inside out near the trunk, no matter what settings I try.
Anybody got a workflow that works with this thing?

My best attempt.

prometheus
01-18-2018, 02:32 PM
was some time ago I used it, just recently installed in 2018 lightwave, so not sure if there is differences, I would suggest download sample presets from dpont and look at that.
Otherwise...
In main tab, check use trunk connection or your branches will be loose from main trunk..
In more tab, use same level only ..set segment min angle to zero and the same with segment filter level, keep many settings to a zero state initially in order to track how it works, tweak junction start and junction limits and see how that goes..
itīs a start, I will actually work a bit more with it soon.

sadkkf
01-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Is it true Trees Designer is not compatible with 2018? If so, I hope Pawel offers an update. It was a little difficult getting realistic trees from it, but once you did I found it easy to make variants.

prometheus
01-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Is it true Trees Designer is not compatible with 2018? If so, I hope Pawel offers an update. It was a little difficult getting realistic trees from it, but once you did I found it easy to make variants.

For DAN..setting a sub segment at 1 in the main tab may help smoothing out the branch connections so they donīt twitch too much.

tree designer? donīt have it..so not sure, dpont verdure pack works in 2018 though, and that without crashing so far, I was a bit afraid the weight maps wasnīt working, but i forgot to switch to proper weight map to see it, what may be broken in dpontīs verdure tree, that may be the growth displacement that also installs, using that in layout for 2018 doesnīt seem to work, same with fertilizer, two great animation expanding extruding growing plugins not working, along with the whole dp kit shabang and the rman collection in nodes not working..really a bummer those arenīt working, but maybe a bit more patience and support for DPont..if he has the time later on..not too late though.

Qexit
01-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Probably not a great deal of help here, but have you looked at TreeIT ? It can generate trees and export as .obj files

http://www.evolved-software.com/treeit/treeit

Ztreem
01-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Blender can also make trees

prometheus
01-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Blender can also make trees

curve sapling tree gen?
One thing, branch connections on that in blender, I do not see them possible to join properly?..as we can do with dp verdure
cool in the way that presets are much easier to handle to save and reload, and that you can edit individual branches spline curve..wich we can not with dp verdure.

Greenlaw
01-18-2018, 05:53 PM
That is correct, Tree Designer does not work in 2018.

I haven't contacted Pavel about this yet. I think he's stopped developing new tools for LightWave but is still open to updating his existing ones.

With Verdure, I only got as far as testing that it worked in 2018 (it does) but haven't really worked with it in 2018 yet. I don't think it's behaving differently but will check it again when I get a chance.

Greenlaw
01-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Dan, could you post one of your 'inside-out' trees. Just want to see what you mean for testing.

Ztreem
01-19-2018, 02:35 AM
curve sapling tree gen?
One thing, branch connections on that in blender, I do not see them possible to join properly?..as we can do with dp verdure
cool in the way that presets are much easier to handle to save and reload, and that you can edit individual branches spline curve..wich we can not with dp verdure.

That is one of many tree generators. If that is not good enough maybe test Modular Tree, The Grove or Space tree.

sadkkf
01-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Probably not a great deal of help here, but have you looked at TreeIT ? It can generate trees and export as .obj files

http://www.evolved-software.com/treeit/treeit

Wow. This looks great. Does anyone have renders of these trees? It looks way easier to use than XFrog I bought last year.

I've also reached out to Pawel about updating Trees Designer for 2018. Hopefully he's able to!

Dan Ritchie
01-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Wow. This looks great. Does anyone have renders of these trees? It looks way easier to use than XFrog I bought last year.

I've also reached out to Pawel about updating Trees Designer for 2018. Hopefully he's able to!

Anybody get this to work? It requires DirectX 9 and vistual studio redist for 2008. Not sure if DirectX 9 works in windows 10.

Qexit
01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Anybody get this to work? It requires DirectX 9 and vistual studio redist for 2008. Not sure if DirectX 9 works in windows 10.I have it working in Windows 10. I just ran the program and it worked without needing to install anything else. It is on my LW PC and, just checked, it works here on my internet PC with no additions as well.

MichaelT
01-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Anybody get this to work? It requires DirectX 9 and vistual studio redist for 2008. Not sure if DirectX 9 works in windows 10.

DX9 work in Win10. (Or you'd probably hear the lamenting of the tis-the-end-of-the-world gamers across it :D )

Dan Ritchie
01-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Here is what I'm always getting in DPTree. Can't get away from it.

Ma3rk
01-19-2018, 12:36 PM
I like the interaction of the GUI. I'm curious though what folks who are using this doing about the included textures that are .dds format? They can be opened in Photoshop but ave you batch converted so Lightwave can use them?

prometheus
01-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Thatīs weird...did you download tree sample presets as I suggested from dpont?
perhaps also check some settings from erikals, if you freeze the frames...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhbO9c5zoF0

Dan Ritchie
01-19-2018, 12:59 PM
I updated my DirectX and it runs now.

prometheus
01-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Down at the bottom of the page, tree content and tree presets...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Verdure.html

MichaelT
01-21-2018, 01:47 AM

It is updated.

Myagi
01-21-2018, 03:13 AM
I'm curious though what folks who are using this doing about the included textures that are .dds format

This might be of some use. (http://blytools.com/dds.html)

CaptainMarlowe
01-21-2018, 05:10 AM
It is updated.

For windows only. I have mailed Pawel to see if he plans updating for Mac.

erikals
01-21-2018, 06:19 AM
DDS

you can also use this PhotoShop plugin
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

erikals
01-21-2018, 06:21 AM

it is just a matter of trying slightly different settings,
and perhaps clean it up a little (for example by deleting edge loops)

shouldn't be too difficult

Ma3rk
01-21-2018, 07:36 AM
This might be of some use. (http://blytools.com/dds.html)

Excellent. Thanks for that link.

- - - Updated - - -

DDS

you can also use this PhotoShop plugin
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

That's what I already have but hoping to avoid having to do a batch convert.

MichaelT
01-21-2018, 09:07 AM
For windows only. I have mailed Pawel to see if he plans updating for Mac.

Might take a while before you get an answer from him though. He is away and won't be back for about a week.

CaptainMarlowe
01-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Thanks for letting me know. I'm not in a hurry, I have so many assets I want to convert for 2018 that I likely won't have to create trees before some time !

CaptainMarlowe
01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Pawel emailed me that the mac version should be updated in two weeks or so. Great news !

Greenlaw
01-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the tip about the TreeDesigner update. I've been using this plugin from its very beginning and still have a lot of affection for it. Downloading the update now. :)

JamesCurtis
01-21-2018, 04:12 PM
3D Browser from Moo Tools will also read and convert them. It'll batch convert models and images as well.

Here's a link:

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/

Greenlaw
01-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Hi Dan,

Finally got around to playing with DPTree in 2018 again and I see what you mean.

Earlier this evening, I was playing with TreeDesigner and saw something very similar. I used to see this sort of thing only in the lowest section of the trunk and was surprised to see it throughout the trunk.

Anyway, to correct the problem I did two things:

1. Moved the 'target' objects farther away from the origin by scaling (Ctrl-H.) This basically makes a bigger tree and seemed to help only a little.

2. Next I reduced the Trunk Segment. The defaut in TreeDesigner is 8, which is really way too high. Reducing this setting made a big difference. After I reduced it, the branching segments lost their errors.

When I saw a similar issue in DPTree (the problem you described,) I tried the same things. The equivalent setting in DPTree is called Subsegments--try reducing that value. Additionally, try increasing the Segments value--you might need a mix of these two to get what you want.

Hope this helps.

prometheus
01-21-2018, 11:37 PM
For DAN..setting a sub segment at 1 in the main tab may help smoothing out the branch connections so they donīt twitch too much.

yup..